Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by That Bearded Man)
    Excluding grants, subsidies, no trade tariffs.
    So you're saying that 19bn (or whatever the exact figure is) minus 9.5bn (or whatever the exact figure is) times 25 is not in excess of 205bn?
    Do you also deny that there are only 6 Scottish MEPs?
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    At the risk of being called a traitor I'm rather hoping raonic beats Murray.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Aph)
    Well, we get a member of the commonwealth winning instead of somebody who if they could would live off on an island in the North sea to be grumpy and have tantrums.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Aph)
    Same here. I'm English, not Scottish so I want the underdog to win.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Well, we get a member of the commonwealth winning instead of somebody who if they could would live off on an island in the North sea to be grumpy and have tantrums.
    Hear, hear. I've never agreed with you so much Jammy.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Quamquam123)
    Same here. I'm English, not Scottish so I want the underdog to win.
    Nationality has nothing to do with it and I thought you were smarter then to fall for nationalistic tendencies. I'm only backing him because even though he's the underdog he keeps fighting and the crowd is against him.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Tennis is not a team sport, so it's not like supporting a national team. Support whom you like.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    Constantly expecting to go to war or wanting to fight is a bad position. Ultimately all wars end in negotiations and not anhialation so whist it's good to be ready to defend yourself you shouldn't be constantly expecting to use force.
    The action of war itself is not at issue (mindless aggression is indeed a bad thing) however i see nothing wrong in the strong defending or improving the lot of the weak, that i believe is indeed a noble reason to fight.

At a state level there are obviously some nations which can afford pacifism (Switzerland, Ireland, Scotland if independent) because they find themselves in such a position that they would be defended regardless of their own will (or lack of it) but i find the notion of a nation such as the UK adopting a pacifist approach to be both dangerous and morally unjust.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Aph)
    Nationality has nothing to do with it and I thought you were smarter then to fall for nationalistic tendencies. I'm only backing him because even though he's the underdog he keeps fighting and the crowd is against him.
    I have to admit, I don't think nationality should be associated with sport as much as it is. I'm backing him because of Murray's bad attitude.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Murray's won. How annoying.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    The action of war itself is not at issue (mindless aggression is indeed a bad thing) however i see nothing wrong in the strong defending or improving the lot of the weak, that i believe is indeed a noble reason to fight.

At a state level there are obviously some nations which can afford pacifism (Switzerland, Ireland, Scotland if independent) because they find themselves in such a position that they would be defended regardless of their own will (or lack of it) but i find the notion of a nation such as the UK adopting a pacifist approach to be both dangerous and morally unjust.
    Defending yourself is, indeed good. Defending the weak depends how you do it (any of our intervention in the Middle East spring to mind.) and nobility shouldn't have anything to do with it. We shouldn't go to war seeking glory or pride. War and fighting are bloody and messy and should be avoided at all costs. Only when there is no other option should we go to war.

Switzerland could probably afford it anyway because should they be invaided they can easily defend themselves.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Woo! Murray!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    Defending yourself is, indeed good. Defending the weak depends how you do it (any of our intervention in the Middle East spring to mind.) and nobility shouldn't have anything to do with it. We shouldn't go to war seeking glory or pride. War and fighting are bloody and messy and should be avoided at all costs. Only when there is no other option should we go to war.

Switzerland could probably afford it anyway because should they be invaided they can easily defend themselves.
    Imagine we never went into Libya and Gadaffi slaughtered a million Libyans.. is that a cost you'd have payed to avoid war?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Imagine we never went into Libya and Gadaffi slaughtered a million Libyans.. is that a cost you'd have payed to avoid war?
    Why go so mild, why not go for WWII?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Quamquam123)
    Murray's won. How annoying.
    Two petulant British wins today then

ReputationRep:
    I'm pretty sure Aph already got berated for stating that we should not have gone to war with Germany. a few months ago
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    considering that Libya is now a power vacuum yes. We used to have tyrant kings and dictators all across the west but we naturally grew out of it. The states are new. Yes we should apply soft power such as embargoes but hard power only weakens us and the people we want to help.
    Shouldn't have started WWI
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I'm pretty sure Aph already got berated for stating that we should not have gone to war with Germany. a few months ago
    And how he's ready to go for it again

(Original post by Aph)
    considering that Libya is now a power vacuum yes. We used to have tyrant kings and dictators all across the west but we naturally grew out of it. The states are new. Yes we should apply soft power such as embargoes but hard power only weakens us and the people we want to help.

Shouldn't have started WWI
    So it is yourbelief that the lives of about a million people are worth more than many many millions? Why is it that the lives of Britons are worth so much more than those of Jews, homosexuals, trade unionists, etc?

ReputationRep:
    So you're saying that 19bn (or whatever the exact figure is) minus 9.5bn (or whatever the exact figure is) times 25 is not in excess of 205bn?
    Do you also deny that there are only 6 Scottish MEPs?
    I have no idea RE Scottish MEPs, but 6 sounds plausible.

So, it's estimated that as a net contributor, the UK contributes 13billion but gets 4.5billion back. Net contibution 8.5billion euros.

Estimated 10% rise in GDP attributed to EU membership.

Average seems about 9bn per year since 1973. So arguably £380 billion since 1973. So yes, in simplest terms, more expensive than Trident.

That however doesn't factor in the GDP rise, job creation etc. Point is a totally separate issue from Trident. Also, incredibly speculatory as is the case for economic debates on the EU.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    And how he's ready to go for it again

So it is yourbelief that the lives of about a million people are worth more than many many millions? Why is it that the lives of Britons are worth so much more than those of Jews, homosexuals, trade unionists, etc?
    Wow, wow, wow. That is a massive strawmen right there. I didn't say that we shouldn't have entered WWII nor did I say that one persons life is worth more than another's.

In terms of WWI we entered it because Germany marched through Belgium. They didn't attack Belgium at all they just didn't like France so wanted to attack france which we would have been fine with. Which is why we should not have entered WWI.

WWII was a good war to enter because Germany posed a real and present threat to us and our allies which should have been stopped. Different to them only attacking France.

War should only be considered as a last resort. If a dictator is killing all of their citizens then yes that is tragic and should be condemned. But if we go in the changes are that we will make things a lot worse before they get better. So by applying soft power we are better equipped to try and change things instead of making things worse.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 15, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.