Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by rockrunride)
HELL YES! YELLOW GEM! TAAAAAAAAA!

:woo: :woo: :woo:

Will return at midnight!
Haha, success :p:

The rep system is changing rather soon though so you will be back down to like 2 or 3 gems!
thunder_chunky
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by paddy__power)
Haha, success :p:

The rep system is changing rather soon though so you will be back down to like 2 or 3 gems!
How so?
I heard that the admins were thinking of doing it but I saw there was much opposition so I didn't think it would happen. Something about making it harder for people to get yellow gems and eveyrone having same rep power.
ByronicHero
  • PS Reviewer
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by thunder_chunky)
How so?
I heard that the admins were thinking of doing it but I saw there was much opposition so I didn't think it would happen. Something about making it harder for people to get yellow gems and eveyrone having same rep power.
There was massive oposition, but they decided to do it anyway. It's their site though, they can do what they want :dontknow:

Not everyone has the same rep power but it will go up very slowly so, for example, powerful members who now may have 6/700 rep power may only have 4 or 5 with the new system. It is a lot harder to get the various gems and to calculate how much rep you start with they are just minusing all your negative reps from your positive ones, ignoring neutrals on both sides.

You can sign up for the dev testing team and take a look. They are still deciding on the gem boundaries and things I think (or they were last time I asked Jangra) and some of the stuff here may no longer be 100% true as I stopped paying much attention when I realised they were going to do it no matter what. It's only rep though, so who cares, but that's kind of the point - there is little point in changing it lol.

There are numerous threads about it all.
thunder_chunky
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
There was massive oposition, but they decided to do it anyway. It's their site though, they can do what they want :dontknow:

Not everyone has the same rep power but it will go up very slowly so, for example, powerful members who now may have 6/700 rep power may only have 4 or 5 with the new system. It is a lot harder to get the various gems and to calculate how much rep you start with they are just minusing all your negative reps from your positive ones, ignoring neutrals on both sides.

You can sign up for the dev testing team and take a look. They are still deciding on the gem boundaries and things I think (or they were last time I asked Jangra) and some of the stuff here may no longer be 100% true as I stopped paying much attention when I realised they were going to do it no matter what. It's only rep though, so who cares, but that's kind of the point - there is little point in changing it lol.

There are numerous threads about it all.
Thanks for explaining.
I don't really care about rep but I think for them to change it despite opposition is a bit daft. Surely they want to appease people and keep the members happy. Never mind.

My rep level isn't much anyway, and my rep power is only about 140.
ByronicHero
  • PS Reviewer
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Thanks for explaining.
I don't really care about rep but I think for them to change it despite opposition is a bit daft. Surely they want to appease people and keep the members happy. Never mind.

My rep level isn't much anyway, and my rep power is only about 140.
I'm not sure, I think they want to make it 'fairer'. I dispute that this does that, IMO it's exchanging one flawed system for another. With the new system you rep posts and it shows on the post and to leave 'personal rep' - the random ones - you go on their profile I think. It doesn't really matter, people will say they don't like it for a week or two and then realise they really don't care lol.

I don't have much myself tbh, I think I'm on one yellow still and my rep power I think is a little over 200.

Apparently the new gems are meant to look nice though, I have not seen them.
thunder_chunky
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I'm not sure, I think they want to make it 'fairer'. I dispute that this does that, IMO it's exchanging one flawed system for another. With the new system you rep posts and it shows on the post and to leave 'personal rep' - the random ones - you go on their profile I think. It doesn't really matter, people will say they don't like it for a week or two and then realise they really don't care lol.

I don't have much myself tbh, I think I'm on one yellow still and my rep power I think is a little over 200.

Apparently the new gems are meant to look nice though, I have not seen them.
Well you've managed to hide your rep, I still haven't worked out how to do that yet. I know you have to be a sub (which I am) but I haven't got further than that.

You have one or two yellow gems IIRC.
ByronicHero
  • PS Reviewer
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Well you've managed to hide your rep, I still haven't worked out how to do that yet. I know you have to be a sub (which I am) but I haven't got further than that.

You have one or two yellow gems IIRC.
I have had one for ages. I have not shown my rep for a while so I don't know.

You go my account - preferences - edit options - and then unclick 'show my rep level'

thunder_chunky
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I have had one for ages. I have not shown my rep for a while so I don't know.

You go my account - preferences - edit options - and then unclick 'show my rep level'

Done.
Thanks.
Jangrafess
Report 8 years ago
There is massive opposition, but there is also massive support.
crazylemon
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Jangrafess)
There is massive opposition, but there is also massive support.
Is there also massive indeference or can rally people behind the cause of apathy?
ByronicHero
  • PS Reviewer
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Done.
Thanks.
Your welcome =]
Jangrafess
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by crazylemon)
Is there also massive indeference or can rally people behind the cause of apathy?
I think that's the main camp tbh. I'm in it. Any rep system is going to be a pile of rubbish and I'm tired of people coming to complain to me about it! (Luckily it's no longer my job to be complained to. )
ByronicHero
  • PS Reviewer
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I think that's the main camp tbh. I'm in it. Any rep system is going to be a pile of rubbish and I'm tired of people coming to complain to me about it! (Luckily it's no longer my job to be complained to. )
Out of interest how much is your rep worth in the new system? It's like a million now right.
Jangrafess
Report 8 years ago
Out of interest how much is your rep worth in the new system? It's like a million now right.
5 or 6. I think 6.
ByronicHero
  • PS Reviewer
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
5 or 6. I think 6.
I see, cool
rockrunride
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I'm guessing all the subs hate it and all the noobs love it
ByronicHero
  • PS Reviewer
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Haha for the most part it does tend to go down those lines roughly, although many of the mods/subs think it's a good idea. Tbh it's not going to make much difference, we just won't have pretty gems and won't have to put up with whoring as nobody will bother XD
DayneD89
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Personaly I love the idea. I don't particularly care about it, but if I had to choose a side I'd definately be for the change.
Jangrafess
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by rockrunride)
I'm guessing all the subs hate it and all the noobs love it
For the most part yeah. People can't bear the thought of being parted from their precious gems.
ByronicHero
  • PS Reviewer
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
If the new gems look pretty then I'm happy enough. I think, personally, that the number of gems we have should be determined by rep but they should all be green, unless you're a sub - when you get to choose what colour(s) they are. That would be cool, I could have pink gems.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (625)
80.75%
Leave (149)
19.25%

Watched Threads