Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Snow Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sr90)
    We haven't had a single flake yet, whilst London and Norwich both under an hour away are being obliterated by snow. I'm certainly hoping it stays like this!
    Where abouts in Essex are you? In Chelmsford we have loads.

ReputationRep:
    got lots of snow in shropshire not fair its cancelled my saturday night!

ReputationRep:
    They really need to start buying proper equipment to deal with snow instead of stopping everything and waiting till it melts.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by She_Bittersweet)
    They really need to start buying proper equipment to deal with snow instead of stopping everything and waiting till it melts.
    I highly doubt it because this debate has been going on for years and the govt has hardly done anything about it. Despite the mayor of London travelling to the likes of Vancouver etc and seeing how they manage to deal with the snow.

ReputationRep:
    I've been in a foul mood so have spent most of the day in bed. Only found out it was snowing heavily for the first time here at about 3pm. Apparently it had been snowing since 11 am. FML :colonhash:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Guvnor)
    I highly doubt it because this debate has been going on for years and the govt has hardly done anything about it. Despite the mayor of London travelling to the likes of Vancouver etc and seeing how they manage to deal with the snow.
    Why do they keep moaning then "unexpected snow" when you can easily look at the forecast where they clearly say snow is coming? Also it costs a lot more to cancel everything you can possibly cancel instead of buying proper equipment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by She_Bittersweet)
    Why do they keep moaning then "unexpected snow" when you can easily look at the forecast where they clearly say snow is coming? Also it costs a lot more to cancel everything you can possibly cancel instead of buying proper equipment.
    Only if they understood ehh

ReputationRep:
    snow is best to look at from the inside of a warm house...lol

ReputationRep:
    strange the north east seems to have escaped it, hope to god it doesnt start on monday when im back on placement
    • TSR Support Team

Been snowing all day here in Bedfordshire, it's crazy

ReputationRep:
    Used to love the snow until today. Had to walk 8 miles from work back to home. Took me 3 hours! Still managed to beat my parents back home, they took the car. Always love how public transport disappears when there is snow in London. :rolleyes:
    • TSR Support Team

I have to love how the media always cover it when there's snow down our way yet, the North have had it bad most of the time. What I also hate is people branding us more Southern people softies, I don't let the weather stop me going out

ReputationRep:
    I don't think I'll be able to get home for Christmas :puppyeyes:

ReputationRep:
    Don't get me wrong, I love snow, but I've missed 3 days of work this month (so far by the looks of things) because it's been impossible to get in, and I'm still on my probationary period. Really hope they don't use it against me!

Still hoping for a proper white christmas, don't remember having one in Kent yet.
    • TSR Support Team

Well if you can't get in then they can't really use it against you.

ReputationRep:
    couldn't go out tonight cos of the snow, in a foul ****ing mood now

ReputationRep:
    Came across this recently - http://www.raintoday.co.uk/

It's pretty good, it's in real time so more accurate and quicker than other sites.

ReputationRep:
    Feck me this threads grown! I was meant to be out for christmas work do tonight, so got a lift into work for 10. Not a single bit of snow. Then about 12.30, it just hit, hard. The main road outside work was at a standstill, due to a jack-knifed lorry on a railway crossing up the road.
    No one is going out, so I had to call home to get picked up. Parents decided it wasn't even worth trying to get in to pick me up with the traffic (me at work in a city, them at home in a village nearly 10 miles away). Fortunately one of the girls at work offered for me to stay at her house until I could get home. Went and got some pizza and watched some TV, until the traffic cleared up a bit and my dad could get in to pick me up. Finished work at 5, got home just after 9 :sigh:
    Don't think I'm going anywhere tomorrow!

ReputationRep:
    I pushed a car up a hill yesteday - always wanted to do that!!
    But of course, where I live, it's amazing how snow can coordinate to fall on the first day of the holidays, making sure we don't miss a minute of our education. how nice.

ReputationRep:
    Having read BBC news it gives out the impression that its 2 meters of snow instead of 20cms.Its not a 'miserable situation' its a miserably handled situation.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 8, 2011
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What time of year is the worst for students?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.