Hellz yeah
    From which uni ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by uer23)
    From which uni ?
    Edinburgh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by queen-bee)
    Studying biomedical science was a waste of my time,money and energy.Medicine,here I come!
    So negative wooooww

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Im applying for Biomed in September :3

ReputationRep:
    Does bio med degree have very low income than pharmacy ? And are the job prospects very poor for this course? It's jillion " me plz answer me guys what do you think of it ? What's better pharmacy or biomed ? And is pharmacy all organic chem ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hassyrocks)
    Does bio med degree have very low income than pharmacy ? And are the job prospects very poor for this course? It's jillion " me plz answer me guys what do you think of it ? What's better pharmacy or biomed ? And is pharmacy all organic chem ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Stick to pharmacy,trust me

ReputationRep:
    Isn't pharmacy all chemistry ??

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hassyrocks)
    Isn't pharmacy all chemistry ??

Posted from TSR Mobile

A lot of chemistry
    Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I don't get why people say there no jobs, I always see a biomedical scientist job on Nhs jobs when I'm looking well a few not just one! And there is further courses to do to help you get higher.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Natgerits)
    I don't get why people say there no jobs, I always see a biomedical scientist job on Nhs jobs when I'm looking well a few not just one! And there is further courses to do to help you get higher.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    The problem people face is the lack of training posts. In order to be able to qualify as a Biomedical Scientist, you need to complete a portfolio of competence, in order to be able to register with the HCPC.

The job posts take preference to candidates who already hold this qualification as they don't need to spend time or resources training people to a required standard.

This means that it is beneficial to obtain a placement during your degree - I've been fortunate enough to secure a placement in a NHS biochemistry lab for next year. However, even these can be difficult to obtain. That doesn't mean you can't get training after your degree - many labs still offer training placements as long as they are CPA accredited but these are often unpaid which is not what graduates want - you essentially work a full time job for nothing - and you don't get funding like you would on a placement year.

ReputationRep:
    Ah I understand, I have been told to take the sandwich year for definite to increase chances of being employed, although I'm thinking of taking healthcare scientist pathway too.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Natgerits)
    Ah I understand, I have been told to take the sandwich year for definite to increase chances of being employed, although I'm thinking of taking healthcare scientist pathway too.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I am considering that too, through the NHS scientist training programme. I really like the more clinical aspects of it compared to the analytical aspects of biomedical science - don't get me wrong, I love where my career is heading, but it is one of the paths I'm considering!

On a sandwich course, you aren't necessarily guaranteed a placement but I believe you can do an applied course where the placements are built into the degree throughout, although I am not sure how many of these are still out there.

ReputationRep:
    Me too, I looked around a biomedical unit and realised how little patient contact it was which as a dental nurse at the minute I'm used to, hence why I looked into it further and through my biomedical degree at sunderland I can choose the healthcare scientist pathway. Sunderland university offer the applied biomedical not sure on all others around the country though.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joshalos)
    The problem people face is the lack of training posts. In order to be able to qualify as a Biomedical Scientist, you need to complete a portfolio of competence, in order to be able to register with the HCPC.

The job posts take preference to candidates who already hold this qualification as they don't need to spend time or resources training people to a required standard.

This means that it is beneficial to obtain a placement during your degree - I've been fortunate enough to secure a placement in a NHS biochemistry lab for next year. However, even these can be difficult to obtain. That doesn't mean you can't get training after your degree - many labs still offer training placements as long as they are CPA accredited but these are often unpaid which is not what graduates want - you essentially work a full time job for nothing - and you don't get funding like you would on a placement year.
    are you in second year or final year?

ReputationRep:
    First year biomed sign me up

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cheukhonleo)
    are you in second year or final year?
    Second year

ReputationRep:
    Anyone know anything about studying Biomed at Portsmouth or UWE? Cannot decide between the two. :3

ReputationRep:
    Anyone who is considering doing biomedical science please do a degree which is accredited and one which has a placement year.
    Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sandra1)
    Anyone who is considering doing biomedical science please do a degree which is accredited and one which has a placement year.
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    If you're considering working in the NHS as a biomedical scientist, this is accurate. If you have no interest in being a biomedical scientist in the NHS, you are far better off pursuing an unaccredited degree. IBMS guidelines are very strict, which severely limits the flexibility in module options. An unaccredited degree will allow for far greater flexibility in your degree, allowing you to pick modules that are relevant to your specific interests. This is particularly important in you intend to pursue a Master's or PhD. An intercalated year in any degree stream will be beneficial, and make you far more employable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lethorio)
    If you're considering working in the NHS as a biomedical scientist, this is accurate. If you have no interest in being a biomedical scientist in the NHS, you are far better off pursuing an unaccredited degree. IBMS guidelines are very strict, which severely limits the flexibility in module options. An unaccredited degree will allow for far greater flexibility in your degree, allowing you to pick modules that are relevant to your specific interests. This is particularly important in you intend to pursue a Master's or PhD. An intercalated year in any degree stream will be beneficial, and make you far more employable.
    I agree with that. I've just finished 2nd year Biomedicine, doing my dissertation research project at the moment. Biomedical Science had almost all compulsory modules, with little or no choice left for a student to pursue their own interests. My degree is not accredited, true but I have no intention of working for the NHS.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Quick Link:

Unanswered Life Sciences Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.