Turn on thread page Beta

Singapore Kopitiam watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    haha.. icic... what do you plan to do in those 9-10 months?. haha come back to be a relief teacher!
    Relief teacher at my primary school? Maybe! But definitely not VJ. :p: I love that place, but after 2 years of NS, I wonder if I can recall anything!

haha... i'm always amused/amazed by those incredibly smart year 3s /seniors who come back to do relief teaching for a while before leaving overseas.
    -they already dress like teachers in their 20s
    -they still remember their a level stuff/content
    Don't worry, you're not alone.

omg. i just found out michelle is a MAS scholar!
    :congrats:

I intend to work/intern, for 2 months at a bank, and another 2 months in the civil service. Lots of bumming around and travelling in between... or maybe yet another job stint. :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by acezhiquan)
    I think that's definitely true to a certain extent..saw somewhere that "extra curricular activites are not factored into the admissions process", but my CT advised that subject specific accolades are definitely useful(useful, but not essential), e.g if you want to do natural sciences/ life sciences, SSEF/ISEF, science olympiads, H3 papers would indicate that you have a certain amount of passion for that subject.

That said, i think oxbridge does look more at the amount of interest and aptitude you have for the subject more than CCAs and random achievements, and that can definitely be seen and judged from the U.K interview process.

It's just that my parents want me to keep my options open for US universities as well, as i took my SAT 1 last year..retaking either this dec or next
    jan/feb.

oh btw how old are you?.
    Hmm..I guess if you're keeping your options open then its fine.. and, I'm 16.

ReputationRep:
    I wonder if doing interviews in singapore would be easier than doing them in Oxbridge? Anyone qualified to answer?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the ceiling)
    I wonder if doing interviews in singapore would be easier than doing them in Oxbridge? Anyone qualified to answer?
    Send me a PM and I will reply tomorrow.

Not exactly very qualified to reply in an official capacity but I did go through all of this last year so I have a fairly decent idea of the entire process.

And yes, I did receive an offer.

ReputationRep:
    Woohoo! One more week to Nottingham!

ReputationRep:
    What's this, I dont come to tsr for a week and we're relegated to the bottom half of the first page? for shame. :p:

I've got 10 days till I go and I still havn't packed. Woe is me.

ReputationRep:
    :grr: :s:

Stuck in camp on a Friday evening, and I'll only be knocking off tomorrow morning.

Ah.

ReputationRep:
    It's the weekend! ;danceboy;

Not that I don't have weekend duties at camp, but still, it feels good!

ReputationRep:
    hello! i'm back! sort of back. been in bonny birmingham (or brum for short) for 2 weeks already and lovin' it. serene's coming over tomorrow and hopefully we'll have double the fun from then on. uncle, aunt and i have been simultaneously entertaining each other (or in the local lingo, taking the mick out of each other).

hope to see you guys soon!

ReputationRep:
    have you been to the bullring?? i'd imagine that'd be the first place a singaporean may want to go.

ReputationRep:
    yeah you guessed it, i spent a whole afternoon there and blew 40 quid (that pile was really worth it though). but i only went there 4 days ago after spending heaven knows how long at my aunt's florist shop learning the ropes. lovely meeting the british, but have a terrible time deciphering the myriad of accents (especially indian ones )

for those who haven't packed: if your luggage is too heavy, take out clothes that you can easily obtain in the uk. especially if you're going to shop like i do. :P some clothes are actually cheaper over here. i have this (fairly thin) blouse that costs 1 pound. :O

and, um, i hardly drink water anymore. 's been replaced with wine and bailey's. and wine here is dirt cheap compared to in singapore.

is anything happening in singapore or nothing as usual?

ReputationRep:
    Isn't Serene going to do biology @ Bristol? Or have I remembered wrongly once again? :p:

Singapore... hmm. Lots of controversy regarding the government's handling of the protest issue during the IMF/WB summit. And of course, the actual summit is taking place under really *tight* security at Suntec. Beyond that, life seems to be quite the same!

I just got back from the Terry Fox run at Sentosa.... I'M TIRED, WOW! *snuggles self into bed*

Glad you're enjoying yourself at B'ham! :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CMS)
    yeah you guessed it, i spent a whole afternoon there and blew 40 quid (that pile was really worth it though). but i only went there 4 days ago after spending heaven knows how long at my aunt's florist shop learning the ropes. lovely meeting the british, but have a terrible time deciphering the myriad of accents (especially indian ones )

for those who haven't packed: if your luggage is too heavy, take out clothes that you can easily obtain in the uk. especially if you're going to shop like i do. :P some clothes are actually cheaper over here. i have this (fairly thin) blouse that costs 1 pound. :O

and, um, i hardly drink water anymore. 's been replaced with wine and bailey's. and wine here is dirt cheap compared to in singapore.

is anything happening in singapore or nothing as usual?
    or. since its winter soon just bring less inner wear -like teeshirts and stuff. most of you lot are going to places(camridge, warwick, london) that will definately be cold so you'll be wearing a jacket most of the time.

anyway inner wear is pretty cheap even at like marks and spencer.

as for accents, it will take a while, bothways. i've been here 2 years and i think i can understand all my classmates well (of course the southern accent is much easier to understand) and they can understand me better then their scottish counterparts. lol.

ReputationRep:
    hey guys! sorry t barge in e middle of ur conversation.. i'm elv. kinda new here. i'm indonesian but i have been stayin in sg for years. i just came t uk for 6th form this yer! mind intro urself?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by avril_elvina)
    hey guys! sorry t barge in e middle of ur conversation.. i'm elv. kinda new here. i'm indonesian but i have been stayin in sg for years. i just came t uk for 6th form this yer! mind intro urself?
    hey elv.! this is my first year is sixth form too. so hows it going for you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zinc11)
    hey elv.! this is my first year is sixth form too. so hows it going for you?
    hey there! well it's been pretty tough! i came late tis jan for L6 so i missed a term! 0 sg peeps in my sch!! CRAP. whereabout r u in uk? i'm in surrey. whch sch r u n were u from? ha ha guess wad e name KOPITIAM struck me! finally a familiar place!

ReputationRep:
    Hey avril. =) Haha you still type like a typical Singaporean... guess the UK 'vibe' hasn't rubbed off on you just yet. :p: What are your future plans after completing the 6th form (err... i take it 6th form = JC2?)?

ReputationRep:
    6th form = year 12 and 13 = JC1 and JC2

lower sixth= JC1 and upper sixth=JC2.

i think she just started upper sixth in september while i just started lower sixth.

i go to a local comp. so there are no singaporeans as well. In fact only 5 orientals that I can count. i'm in the southwest near the bournemouth-poole area.

yeah, what subjects are you taking and what are your future plans? I'm guessing university applications are the talk of year13s at this point of time.

ReputationRep:
    hello all! i am act from indonesia but i came t sg for a way long time alr. hmm i jus came in jan this yer for L6. yeah. i guess it will take some time b4 e british vibes catch on me! for now i still love orchard road and kaya toast! ha ha. i'm thinkin of takin up econs in london uni. how about u guys? and how do i call u? zinc n timon? :p: we have 4 chinese peeps in my lev here. not a compared t sch like cheltenham ladies i think.

ReputationRep:
    Ehh Nutter you remembered! Yeah I'm just staying at Brum for a while before I head to Bristol.. We went to Bullring today aha. I didn't get anything because everything I wanted was beyond my budget

About packing, er I can't help you because I've got to ship 20kg of stuff over when I wasn't even intending to. And make sure you weigh your luggage, mine was 15kg over at first. Gah.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 20, 2016
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources
US study forum

Accommodation profiles:

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation - voted by 22,000 students.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.