Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

OCR Biology F212 Revision [3rd June 2013] (Now Closed) Watch

• View Poll Results: How did you feel the F212 exam went?
    Awesome
    9.46%
    Good
    33.78%
    Okay
    35.81%
    Bad
    10.81%
    Rubbish
    5.41%
    Not Sure
    4.73%

ReputationRep:
    I'll be having words with my teacher for teaching me stuff i dont need to know

sorry guys!

ReputationRep:
    What are the reasons for maintaining biodiversity? I know that its economical, ethical and ecological reasons but I don't know how to explain them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nevarsan)
    What are the reasons for maintaining biodiversity? I know that its economical, ethical and ecological reasons but I don't know how to explain them.
    Economic -
    - growth of timber, food and fuel
    - source of new medicinces
    - ecotourism

Ecological -
    - regulation of atmosphere and climate
    - purification and retention of fresh water
    - formation of fertilised soil
    - Detoxification and recylcing of waste
    - crop pollination

Ethical -
    - all living organisms have the right to survive and live in the way in which they have become adapted. The loss of habitats and biodiversity can prevent many organisms from living where they should.

Aesthetic -
    - Studies have shown that patients recover more rapidly from stress and injury when they are exposed to pleasing natural environmental conditions

ReputationRep:
    Just things like, every living thing has a right to exist, aesthetically pleasing, allows for scientific research, etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by g.k.galloway)
    Economic -
    - growth of timber, food and fuel
    - source of new medicinces
    - ecotourism

Ecological -
    - regulation of atmosphere and climate
    - purification and retention of fresh water
    - formation of fertilised soil
    - Detoxification and recylcing of waste
    - crop pollination

Ethical -
    - all living organisms have the right to survive and live in the way in which they have become adapted. The loss of habitats and biodiversity can prevent many organisms from living where they should.

Aesthetic -
    - Studies have shown that patients recover more rapidly from stress and injury when they are exposed to pleasing natural environmental conditions

Thank you

ReputationRep:
    What you you put for this question..... I feel it's going to major as it hasn't come up yet

Discuss the global impact malaria, AIDS/HIV and TB

ReputationRep:
    I'm so annoyed- our teacher spent the last 3 lessons going over monoclonal antibodies. IT'S NO WHERE TO BE SEEN ON THE SPECIFICATION OR IN THE TEXT BOOKS . We haven't had a stable teacher for the past year either so we basically had to teach ourselves quite a lot of the course while we had supply teachers -_- anyway, good luck for tomorrow everyone.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wndms)
    "Explain how biodiversity may be considered at different levels:habitat, species and genetic"
    This is what it says inthe specification, can anybody help me what we are supposed to say? :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
    -variation between species
    -genetic variation within species
    -different habitat of species

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HeyMickey6)
    What you you put for this question..... I feel it's going to major as it hasn't come up yet

Discuss the global impact malaria, AIDS/HIV and TB

erm...we don't need to know the global impact unless they give us figures haha...or it's like worth 2 marks and is a suggest question

ReputationRep:
    so what does everyone think will come up for definite tomorrow?

ReputationRep:
    Im really sorry if its already answed but im on my phone and i cant search properly but... Im really struggling with the immune responce...

How are phagocytes linked in to the responce?? Abd if anyone would be willing to write out a bullet point list of the immune reponce and whst happends step by step thst would be brilliant!!

ReputationRep:
    Ecnomical and ecological:
    -used for food e.g. animals and plants so we need to maintain biodiversity
    -if we chop down trees, reduce Co2 absorbed from atmosphere...e.g. global climate change
    -reduction in worms, therefore reduce soil quality and affect crop yield and plants are the basis of in all food chains

ethical:
    -belief that human activities shouldn't result in extinction or cause a species to cease to exist
    -habitats and huge biodiversity are aesthetically pleasing

ReputationRep:
    "Explain the relationship between classification and taxonomy"

"Explain the relationship between classification and phylogeny"

Can someone explain this please? I just don't get the actual difference.. although I know their definitions are different.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    How long do you think it's going to be before there's an abundance of people who haven't done any revision asking for help?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Grammar Kid)
    Im really sorry if its already answed but im on my phone and i cant search properly but... Im really struggling with the immune responce...

How are phagocytes linked in to the responce?? Abd if anyone would be willing to write out a bullet point list of the immune reponce and whst happends step by step thst would be brilliant!!
    Phagocytes engulf pathogens via phagocytosis. They then digest the nutrients and become antigen-presenting cells. in which they present the antigen of that specific pathogen on their cell surface membrane. This then stimulates an immune response.

Immune Response

Antigen presenting cells.
    Selection of the correct T lymphocyte. (clonal selection)
    Specific to that antigen. (complimentary)
    Clonal expansion of that T lymphocyte. (mitosis)
    then T lymphocyte differentiates into 3 types of T lymphocytes. (T Killer, T helper, T memory)

T Helper stimulates B lymphocytes via cytokines.
    T killer engulfes and destroyes infected cells
    T Memory provides immune memory of that specific antigen.

B lymphocytes differentiate to Plasma cells and B memory cells.

Plasma cells produce antibodies to neutralise and aggulinate the antigens.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wndms)
    Can someone distinguish between herd vaccination and ring vaccination? They sounds the same where they just vaccinate a population help!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Sure. Ring vaccination is vaccinating every body in a particular area after an outbreak of a disease to prevent it spreading outside this area (like they did inWales with measles earlier this year). Herd vaccination is vaccinating every one (especially the vulnerable) in the country to prevent against spread (like they do with the flu every winter).

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrMeep2580)
    Phagocytes engulf pathogens via phagocytosis. They then digest the nutrients and become antigen-presenting cells. in which they present the antigen of that specific pathogen on their cell surface membrane. This then stimulates an immune response.

Immune Response

Antigen presenting cells.
    Selection of the correct T lymphocyte. (clonal selection)
    Specific to that antigen. (complimentary)
    Clonal expansion of that T lymphocyte. (mitosis)
    then T lymphocyte differentiates into 3 types of T lymphocytes. (T Killer, T helper, T memory)

T Helper stimulates B lymphocytes via cytokines.
    T killer engulfes and destroyes infected cells
    T Memory provides immune memory of that specific antigen.

B lymphocytes differentiate to Plasma cells and B memory cells.

Plasma cells produce antibodies to neutralise and aggulinate the antigens.
    words cannot discribe how usefull that is thank you!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Grammar Kid)

Immune response via phagocytes

Phagocytes take two forms. Neutrophils and macrophages
    -When a pathogen enters the body, the pathogen is carrying an antigen on the surface of its plasma membrane which acts as a signal ''I am foreign''. This initiates the immune response and antibodies start to be produced.
    -antibodies are complementary to the antigen and bind to the antigen. Phagocyte receptors are complementary to the antibodies and are attached to the antibodies.
    -Phagocytes then curve inwards and surround the antigen and the antigen is now inside the vacuole of the phagocyte known as the phagosome.
    -lysosomes fuse with the phagosome and secrets lysins which digest the pathogen into harmless nutrients which can be absorbed into the cytoplasm of the phagosome
    Neutrophils are short lived and die after digesting a few pathogens
    Macrophages:
    -these are found in the lymphatic system. Infected cells release a chemical called histamine. This makes the capillaries leaky so that tissue fluid flows into the lymphatic system directly to the macrophages in lymph nodes to deal with the pathogen. The macrophages don't deal with the pathogen directly. They form an antigen presenting cell which stimulate the activation of lymphocytes- it speeds up clonal selection.

ReputationRep:
    What are the differences between the two type of classification system? (4)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cookiess)
    erm...we don't need to know the global impact unless they give us figures haha...or it's like worth 2 marks and is a suggest question
    Well it hasn't come up so I think is worth knowing about it.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.