Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr M (jr))
    No, it was ln(u) + (1/u) + c
    Hello Mr M junior, how many marks do you think I would lose in the early question with the stationary points, I got two of them correctly but forgot the third when cosx=0. Thanks alot

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Coxmobil)
    I don't suppose anyone got a Ln of a Ln at any point?
    I think I remember getting that and being like wtf. Ahh I can't remember which question it was...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Mr M - would greatly appreciate your help. At the very beginning of Q8 part I - I subbed in the value of t instead of r into 1.08=k/sqrtR - everything else in my working was correct - how many do you think I would lose for doing something so silly? Also, my y co ordinates for Q4 were wrong for the final 2 x-co ordinates. All my x values were correct. Greatly appreciate what you do here -

ReputationRep:
    Forgot what angle I was getting in the vectors question, so I did 180-x to get 8.68. Drop 1 there.

Not really a marking point, but for the second binomial expansion when it says write in powers of 1/x, would they mean the answer given in the unofficial mark scheme or to write it as -(1/x)^2 + 3(1/x)^3 + 6(1/x)^4, or whatever it was. Either way I wrote both.

Didn't get an exact value of 28/3 for the pyramid, but I gave 9.33 to 3 sf, that should hopefully be enough. Quite a tough paper, but not unfair.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Coxmobil)
    I don't suppose anyone got a Ln of a Ln at any point?
    I did can't remember when but I did.

ReputationRep:
    Ok, I've put a mark scheme here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...5#post43220805

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr M)
    I've looked now. Are there any questions that people are unsure about and would like a second opinion on?
    For 5 ii):

I got completely the wrong integral, but still put limits in and presented my answer in the form AlnB

How many marks would I lose? (/5)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snakefingers13)
    Forgot what angle I was getting in the vectors question, so I did 180-x to get 8.68. Drop 1 there.

Not really a marking point, but for the second binomial expansion when it says write in powers of 1/x, would they mean the answer given in the unofficial mark scheme or to write it as -(1/x)^2 + 3(1/x)^3 + 6(1/x)^4, or whatever it was. Either way I wrote both.

Didn't get an exact value of 28/3 for the pyramid, but I gave 9.33 to 3 sf, that should hopefully be enough. Quite a tough paper, but not unfair.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    you wouldn't lose one for that 8.68, it didn't specify which angle surely?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DoeADeer)
    I think I remember getting that and being like wtf. Ahh I can't remember which question it was...

Posted from TSR Mobile
    ahhh thanks, hate that feeling in an exam where you're sure that in no way can your answer be right haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DoeADeer)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I did for the substitution one when I put x back in.. Ln ( 1 + lnx ) + ... Something like that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by QuestionsQ)
    Mr M - would greatly appreciate your help. At the very beginning of Q8 part I - I subbed in the value of t instead of r into 1.08=k/sqrtR - everything else in my working was correct - how many do you think I would lose for doing something so silly? Also, my y co ordinates for Q4 were wrong for the final 2 x-co ordinates. All my x values were correct. Greatly appreciate what you do here -
    Q8: lose 2 or 3 probably.

Q4: probably only lose 1. Max 2.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheSneakyBadger)
    you wouldn't lose one for that 8.68, it didn't specify which angle surely?
    It did; it asked for angle BAC. Only 171 (or possibly 360-171) would be acceptable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr M (jr))
    It did; it asked for angle BAC. Only 171 (or possibly 360-171) would be acceptable.
    How would it specify if it had wanted 8.68?

ReputationRep:
    Reckon 64/72 is going to be 90%?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr M)
    I've looked now. Are there any questions that people are unsure about and would like a second opinion on?
    To integrate tan2x ive done 1/2lnsecx instead of 1/2lnsec2x. How many marks will i lose out of 5?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by SJ12345)
    To integrate tan2x ive done 1/2lnsecx instead of 1/2lnsec2x. How many marks will i lose out of 5?
    drop 1

ReputationRep:
    To integrate tan 2x, I used a simple substitution of u =2x, to tanu/2 then changed my limits etc. and got to the correct answer. That would be fine wouldn't it? They didn't specify a particular method of doing it did they?

(Original post by Mr M)
    drop 1
    Mr M, could you please tell me if you think I'd get ANY marks at all on number 8, because I put

dr = -k rootx.
    dt

Which I know is horrifically wrong, I just forgot what inversely proportional meant. Would I get any marks at all for the whole question?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr M)
    Is the angle 8.7 or 171.3?
    Thank you Mr M!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr M)
    Hi, I wonder if you could guess at how many marks overall I would have lost from these mistakes:

1) Putting 1/72 rather than 1/81 because I'm such an idiot
    5ii) Integrating tan2x correctly but then putting the limits in as if it were 0.5lnsecx rather than sec2x..........
    7iii) Doing all the right method but multiplying by 1/2 instead of 1/3 because I apparently can't read.
    8) leaving the equation of r as 2/3(r)^3/2 rather than rearranging to get r on its own

I also said that the stationary point (0,3) was a maximum not a minimum, is this right? and if not, how many marks

Thanks!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.