Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

22 August 2013 GCSE results: Discussion thread watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Molly648)
    Well if I could get into medicine that would be amazing, but I'm trying not to set my heart on it too much because even the best people out there can struggle to get in. If not I would probably consider doing something with chemistry, what about you? Have you any ideas of what you want to do?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    That's true! Queen's has a very competitive Medicine course!
    I have no ideas . I've always had the idea of doing something to do with the EU, though I don't what! If I go down the Mathematical route, I'll most likely end up in the finance sector and I don't see myself doing that, yet doing English might just push me towards being an English teacher, which again I don't see myself doing. Hopefully English with French could open up a few more doors.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L'Evil Fish)
    Chemistry isn't second rate it's awesome... It's a degree I'd want to do
    I'm not suggesting it is second rate, I'm saying it is something I would consider if I didn't get into a different course because I don't even know half of the range of different jobs there are with it

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Well if I could get into medicine that would be amazing, but I'm trying not to set my heart on it too much because even the best people out there can struggle to get in. If not I would probably consider doing something with chemistry, what about you? Have you any ideas of what you want to do?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You sound identical to me!!! That is my exact opinion also

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm not suggesting it is second rate, I'm saying it is something I would consider if I didn't get into a different course because I don't even know half of the range of different jobs there are with it

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Many!

Teaching, Academia, Research, Pharmaceuticals, Beauty and Cosmetics, Banking, Management, Science Journalism etc ect

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gracey11)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Where are you looking to study?

ReputationRep:
    At the moment I'm thinking (in order of preference):
    UCL
    Imperial
    KCL
    Queens Belfast

And I'm going to study chemistry biology maths and german next year for AS

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aasvogel)
    That's true! Queen's has a very competitive Medicine course!
    I have no ideas . I've always had the idea of doing something to do with the EU, though I don't what! If I go down the Mathematical route, I'll most likely end up in the finance sector and I don't see myself doing that, yet doing English might just push me towards being an English teacher, which again I don't see myself doing. Hopefully English with French could open up a few more doors.
    It all sounds very interesting! I know what you mean though, there are some subjects I love but I couldn't see what careers I could get out of them! Tough decisions.
    (Original post by gracey11)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yes no point in thinking too deeply about the one thing!

Many!

Teaching, Academia, Research, Pharmaceuticals, Beauty and Cosmetics, Banking, Management, Science Journalism etc ect
    Well there is certainly a range of things out there! I have always wondered about going into something to do with forensics.

ReputationRep:
    It all sounds very interesting! I know what you mean though, there are some subjects I love but I couldn't see what careers I could get out of them! Tough decisions.

Well there is certainly a range of things out there! I have always wondered about going into something to do with forensics.
    There are courses specifically for forensic chemistry as well!

ReputationRep:
    There are courses specifically for forensic chemistry as well!
    Yes I have seen that and it looks great! I'd love to know someone who does it! I've also seen courses with chemistry and it includes a year in Australia! I think the travel aspect of that in itself is an amazing opportunity

ReputationRep:
    Yes I have seen that and it looks great! I'd love to know someone who does it! I've also seen courses with chemistry and it includes a year in Australia! I think the travel aspect of that in itself is an amazing opportunity
    My choices shall all have a year abroad!

ReputationRep:
    My choices shall all have a year abroad!
    What are your choices?

ReputationRep:
    What are your choices?
    Spoiler:
    Show

Oxford - Chemistry - A*AA

Edinburgh University - Medicinal and Biological Chemistry with a Year Abroad - A*AA

Durham - Chemistry (International Route) - A*AA

Imperial College London - Chemistry with French for Science - A*/A AA

York - Chemistry, Biological and Medicinal Chemistry with a Year Abroad - AA A/B

ReputationRep:
    Spoiler:
    Show

Oxford - Chemistry - A*AA

Edinburgh University - Medicinal and Biological Chemistry with a Year Abroad - A*AA

Durham - Chemistry (International Route) - A*AA

Imperial College London - Chemistry with French for Science - A*/A AA

York - Chemistry, Biological and Medicinal Chemistry with a Year Abroad - AA A/B
    Wow all of those choices sound amazing! I'm assuming you have an interest in languages then? Are you doing that for a level?

ReputationRep:
    Wow all of those choices sound amazing! I'm assuming you have an interest in languages then? Are you doing that for a level?
    I love languages!:eek:

French A Level. I might self teach Spanish AS as well, but unofficially I learn a lot of languages

ReputationRep:
    I love languages!:eek:

French A Level. I might self teach Spanish AS as well, but unofficially I learn a lot of languages
    Very brave! I wanted to continue with Spanish for AS but I think it would be much much more stressful than GCSE! Although I still feel like I should do a language

ReputationRep:
    Very brave! I wanted to continue with Spanish for AS but I think it would be much much more stressful than GCSE! Although I still feel like I should do a language
    You definitely should!:eek:

Languages are amazing and very sought after

ReputationRep:
    You definitely should!:eek:

Languages are amazing and very sought after
    I can't think what subject I'd switch it with though! Unless I self teach it or something?

ReputationRep:
    I can't think what subject I'd switch it with though! Unless I self teach it or something?
    What are your choices?

Maths, Biology, Chemistry and Spanish :yy:

ReputationRep:
    Careers class is going to be fun this year...

ReputationRep:
    What are your choices?

Maths, Biology, Chemistry and Spanish :yy:
    I have chosen maths, biology, chemistry and geography! Lots of people think geography is boring but I think it's great! Lol

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.