Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi i'm a united fan.

(Original post by ImNotATroll)
    Hi i'm a united fan.
    :football: Looking forward to the game today? There's a match thread here. :fyi:

ReputationRep:
    Here's an interview with Mertesacker.

ReputationRep:
    Hi i'm a united fan.
    What do you expect to achieve from posting this on an 'Arsenal Thread'

ReputationRep:
    Hi i'm a united fan.
    Hi. Im an Arsenal fan, on an Arsenal forum! Fancy that!

Posted from TSR Mobile

(Original post by Zürich)
    When people say that Ramsey has done well in the last month, do you think they mean he has mesmerised with his technical ability, passing range or dribbling? Or do you reckon they mean he has run himself into the ground up and down the pitch, harrying and closing down space? Because I can promise you that its the later.

Ramsey was the best player on the pitch vs Everton and elsewhere and everyone was rightly waxing off about him. But that kind of game was absolutely made for Ramsey in that it was just an end to end fitness test, not some Wenger classic(where Ramsey would just slow things down tbh). We could barely string two passes together at Fulham the other day and again Ramsey was the perfect player under those conditions.

But apparently praising Ramsey for what he is, a workhorse, offends you somehow. Not surprised, some other clown said that he had a better passing range than Wilshere, and that he was Fabregas' sucessor, a few months back.
    We've been trying the Wenger classic for years, and where has it gotten us? even if you consider him to be void of all skill, its about time we have a mix of the 'wenger classics' and the workhorses. We can argue, but imo, and i don't think im the only one holding the view, he is a better passer. Wilsheres strength is his drives which open up space for him to make neat passes, but if we're talking passing range, Ramsey is better imo.

You always criticize players like arteta and ramsey for their sideways passes, it's a very foolish thing to say. Not every ball can be a hollywood pass, build up is required in the game of football too. The sooner you learn that the better

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zürich)
    When people say that Ramsey has done well in the last month, do you think they mean he has mesmerised with his technical ability, passing range or dribbling? Or do you reckon they mean he has run himself into the ground up and down the pitch, harrying and closing down space? Because I can promise you that its the later.

Ramsey was the best player on the pitch vs Everton and elsewhere and everyone was rightly waxing off about him. But that kind of game was absolutely made for Ramsey in that it was just an end to end fitness test, not some Wenger classic(where Ramsey would just slow things down tbh). We could barely string two passes together at Fulham the other day and again Ramsey was the perfect player under those conditions.

But apparently praising Ramsey for what he is, a workhorse, offends you somehow. Not surprised, some other clown said that he had a better passing range than Wilshere, and that he was Fabregas' sucessor, a few months back.
    Ramsey at the beginning of April had completed 11 accurate through balls. The only two players better than him this season at that point had been Silva (13) and Cazorla (25).

But of course, Ramsey is completely devoid of any technical ability and can't pass to save his life. :rolleyes:

EDIT: What do you think of this?

Within the last two months, Ramsey has already put himself in the top 3 for passes per 90 mins, successful passes per 90 mins, touches per 90 mins. That list has taken into account all the players that have played this season and for Ramsey to average higher in all of those stats than Carrick (who has been brilliant this season) just proves that Ramsey is a good passer.

Mertesacker, 28, who has 88 caps for Germany, is well placed to take up the mantle. He had an aunt who lived in Plymouth and he would visit England regularly as a child and take back Arsenal shirts as souvenirs.
    I never knew this!

'I was not like a real fan - it was hard to watch the Premier League or FA Cup from Germany - but there was a connection with the club always. Tony Adams was the idol. He grew up as a legend and Ian Wright was the star, because he scored the goals.

'I had the jersey with JVC on, one home one and the blue away one. Of course, I still have them. They're at home with my parents. They are unique for me. A lot of friends texted me when I moved here saying, "We remember you wore the Arsenal shirt when you were 12!" Because everyone wore shirts from abroad like Real Madrid, Barcelona but for me it was Arsenal.'

Also, for people who may be unaccustomed to the match thread concept: there's a match discussion thread for today's game here, and all discussion regarding the game before and during the match are to go into there. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheEssence)
    We've been trying the Wenger classic for years, and where has it gotten us? even if you consider him to be void of all skill, its about time we have a mix of the 'wenger classics' and the workhorses. We can argue, but imo, and i don't think im the only one holding the view, he is a better passer. Wilsheres strength is his drives which open up space for him to make neat passes, but if we're talking passing range, Ramsey is better imo.

You always criticize players like arteta and ramsey for their sideways passes, it's a very foolish thing to say. Not every ball can be a hollywood pass, build up is required in the game of football too. The sooner you learn that the better
    yeh not every pass has to be a hollywood pass but when all you do is pass sideways and score penalties, well thats not the greatest of contributions is it. If you want a workhorse surely you would have got scott parker a player who has 0 ball control and can barley pass a ball 1 meter but will run until his legs disappear. We had the players for the classic wenger game in 2009/2010 and had the quality probably lacked a centerback and a DM but we had a few amazing players and a certain cesc fabregas. Compare the way this team plays to the team back then there is a huge difference, build up play is unbelievably slow and we lack the penetration. But you can expect that when you have a drop in the quality of player I guess.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yaboy)
    yeh not every pass has to be a hollywood pass but when all you do is pass sideways and score penalties, well thats not the greatest of contributions is it.
    At least use facts to back up your arguments, because 61.3% of his passes are forwards (http://www.squawka.com/players/aaron-ramsey).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J.Star)
    At least use facts to back up your arguments, because 61.3% of his passes are forwards (http://www.squawka.com/players/aaron-ramsey).
    I was on about arteta when I was talking about the passing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yaboy)
    I was on about arteta when I was talking about the passing
    Which is weird considering we were talking about ramsey

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kruz)
    What do you expect to achieve from posting this on an 'Arsenal Thread'
    A guard of honour :teehee:
    But seriously people like that annoy me.

(Original post by Darth Vader 7)
    Ramsey at the beginning of April had completed 11 accurate through balls. The only two players better than him this season at that point had been Silva (13) and Cazorla (25).

But of course, Ramsey is completely devoid of any technical ability and can't pass to save his life. :rolleyes:

EDIT: What do you think of this?

Within the last two months, Ramsey has already put himself in the top 3 for passes per 90 mins, successful passes per 90 mins, touches per 90 mins. That list has taken into account all the players that have played this season and for Ramsey to average higher in all of those stats than Carrick (who has been brilliant this season) just proves that Ramsey is a good passer.
    Yes, I'd say ramsey is a good passer, might not be great at quickening the tempo but he can still find some good passes. I think he is needed in the team personally as someone who would work hard next to someone like wilshere who's better technically. He'd be better than arteta as I think he's the main contributor to your slow play particularly in the first half of games. Despite your defensive improvement this season I don't think arteta is good enough in that position, he's not physical enough to protect the back 4 for my liking and I also think that because you spend so many games with high possession and low amount of quality chances created(where you'd be more likely to take a risk to create quality chances) that's a reason why you don't concede too many anymore like before when you had players like fab, van persie, song and nasri to create and take chances...

I'd say give ramsey time he's only 21/22. I personally think the midfield should be ramsey, wilshere and cazorla or I'd at least want to see them play a bit more next season. Ramsey and wilshere both work very hard and wilshere/cazorla will make sure to up the tempo if ramsey isn't doing so.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TH3-FL45H)
    Arsenal team: Szczesny Sagna Mertesacker Koscielny Gibbs Arteta Ramsey Rosciky Cazorla Walcott Podolski

Subs: Mannone Vermaelen Jenkinson Monreal Wilshere Oxlade-Chamberlain Gervinho

Wanted monreal and the ox to start but oh well...

COYG!
    Chambo is already a better player than Walcott imo... But for now I think we are better off bringing him on as a sub to turn up the heat

Edit: also I think once Gibbs stops getting injured he'll be at least comparable to Ashley Cole. His consistent cool headedness, solid defending and speed down the flanks is oh so similar.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dami_O)
    Chambo is already a better player than Walcott imo... But for now I think we are better off bringing him on as a sub to turn up the heat

Edit: also I think once Gibbs stops getting injured he'll be at least comparable to Ashley Cole. His consistent cool headedness, solid defending and speed down the flanks is oh so similar.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I just think atm monreal is better at the defensive side although man u's wingers have been great so gibbs better attacking side could prove to be useful

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dami_O)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I've been saying Gibbs could be the next Ashley Cole for a while. All he needs is a bit more development.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danielnkwocha)
    I've been saying Gibbs could be the next Ashley Cole for a while. All he needs is a bit more development.
    You do realise how good Ashley Cole is? Gibbs will not reach that standard

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jamiesonn)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    If Gibbs was mentored by the likes of Tony Adams, Lee Dixon and Martin Keown I would personally guarantee he gets as good as Ashley Cole... but with his injury problems and lack of England's best defenders to learn from I still think he 'could' get there, so we'll see.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jamiesonn)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    he definitely has the potential

And Chelsea are winning against Swansea with a great strike from oscar so....

ReputationRep:
    Sagna is nang, he's my boy!

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 26, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.