Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

The Football League thread II watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sam Jackson)
    neither of you going for southend in the playoffs... heartbreaking :'(
    Sorry, Southend is a fairly sympathetic club. Would like to see them promoted next season. But with the automatic promotion places practically dealt out already, I can't see anyway up to Southend. Fleetwood and Burton are simply too good in the play-offs

Could be also wrong :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stiff Little Fingers)
    Eh, both are massive **** moves but what do you expect from a sport where the world governing body consider telling a player they're under contract and to honour that contract slavery?

Blatter can't leave the sport quickly enough.
    Blatter will leave and his right hand man Platini will probably come in, doubt we'll see much of a change.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stiff Little Fingers)
    Eh, both are massive **** moves but what do you expect from a sport where the world governing body consider telling a player they're under contract and to honour that contract slavery?

Blatter can't leave the sport quickly enough.
    There are many things wrong with football and he is one of them. Platini is another I want out.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dhlody20)
    Sorry, Southend is a fairly sympathetic club. Would like to see them promoted next season. But with the automatic promotion places practically dealt out already, I can't see anyway up to Southend. Fleetwood and Burton are simply too good in the play-offs

Could be also wrong :eek:
    i'm hoping that we can do it, we were doing so well up until the start of january and then the awful 13 game winless run came knocking and we were knocked out of automatics and have only just managed to cling on to a playoff place... let's hope we'll be like crewe 2 seasons ago and go on a late run giving us confidence going into the semi's.

ReputationRep:
    i'm hoping that we can do it, we were doing so well up until the start of january and then the awful 13 game winless run came knocking and we were knocked out of automatics and have only just managed to cling on to a playoff place... let's hope we'll be like crewe 2 seasons ago and go on a late run giving us confidence going into the semi's.
    How is big Freddie doing?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Midlander)
    How is big Freddie doing?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    not great to be honest, but it was never likely that he was going to be anywhere near s good as his former self. He scored 5 earlier in the season and we thought he was going to do really well this season but then didn't score again until last week. He can be a very useful impact sub though with his knowledge of the game, shame he doesn't have the legs for it anymore.

ReputationRep:
    E I E I E I O
    Up the football league we go!

Okay, so it may have been a foregone conclusion anyway, and still not mathematically certain (that'll be Tuesday, I reckon), but I'm very happy with that result tonight and in the mood for a bit of celebration

ReputationRep:
    Northampton getting relegated would be delicious karma for them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I reckon Northampton will stay up this year. I saw them at Fleetwood in February (when they seemed dead and buried) and played pretty well despite losing 2-0. They've pulled a few points back and I reckon they'll make it.

I'll brace myself for the wrath of the Midlander now...

ReputationRep:
    We're all but promoted 🎉
    Wednesday weren't a bad side but our individuals shone through a scrappy game.

Can't wait for Tuesday.

ReputationRep:
    Meh i'm not too worried with that result could have been a lot worse. I can't wait for this season to finish atm, feels like we have nothing to play for anymore. I hope we show a lot more ambition this summer in the transfer window.

ReputationRep:
    york city for play-offs hopefully. Unbeaten in 11.

ReputationRep:
    Feel as if Watford can get the 3 points off burnley tomorrow, their weakest side this year is coming to VR tomorrow. However, I fear that Stuart Attwell lad, returning to VR for the first time since the 'ghost goal' incident in 2008 against Reading. He's probably got a few goals in him tomorrow.

Nonetheless, can't wait for this season to end. Have a proper transfer window, hopefully bring Vydra back, I can see Deeney going to a promoted team this year, give Sannino a full preseason to get them fit and storm the league next year.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brocklehurst95)
    I reckon Northampton will stay up this year. I saw them at Fleetwood in February (when they seemed dead and buried) and played pretty well despite losing 2-0. They've pulled a few points back and I reckon they'll make it.

I'll brace myself for the wrath of the Midlander now...
    To be fair I don't have any ill feeling towards Northampton fans-but their chairman who happily accepted a few quid to help take a club away from its fans...

ReputationRep:
    not great to be honest, but it was never likely that he was going to be anywhere near s good as his former self. He scored 5 earlier in the season and we thought he was going to do really well this season but then didn't score again until last week. He can be a very useful impact sub though with his knowledge of the game, shame he doesn't have the legs for it anymore.
    Such a waste of talent he was. £1.4m we never really got any value for and his attitude was awful-such a lazy player who overestimated his ability. What were we thinking letting Chris Coleman dictate our transfer policy...

ReputationRep:
    Wow, can't believe Wrexham have gone from FA Trophy winners and being in the play offs for the last three years to being 17th with 5 games left. Need a big turnaround next year, we're better than this.

ReputationRep:
    To be fair I don't have any ill feeling towards Northampton fans-but their chairman who happily accepted a few quid to help take a club away from its fans...
    Can you really blame their chairman though? It's unlikely that he would just allow Coventry to play there for free.

Remember other teams have gone through enforced ground changes too, Darlington now play at Bishop Auckland instead of their old 25000 seater ground. Also Northwich Victoria play at Flixton now. Northwich used to get 700/800 fans in the Conference North. Lancaster City (my 2nd team) played there on Tuesday and the official attendance was 95. Yes it's a shame but without changing grounds it's unlikely these teams would exist anymore.

ReputationRep:
    Can you really blame their chairman though? It's unlikely that he would just allow Coventry to play there for free.

Remember other teams have gone through enforced ground changes too, Darlington now play at Bishop Auckland instead of their old 25000 seater ground. Also Northwich Victoria play at Flixton now. Northwich used to get 700/800 fans in the Conference North. Lancaster City (my 2nd team) played there on Tuesday and the official attendance was 95. Yes it's a shame but without changing grounds it's unlikely these teams would exist anymore.
    My complaint is not at the cost but that he allowed us to groundshare at all. I don't know the background to all the clubs you mention but I would wager that they had to leave due to financial or other difficulties. We were voluntarily withdrawn from the Ricoh-there is a big difference.

It is a complicated tale so I won't go too much into detail but the salient point is that the club left Coventry entirely of its own accord in an attempt to distress the company which runs the Ricoh.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Superunknown17)
    Wow, can't believe Wrexham have gone from FA Trophy winners and being in the play offs for the last three years to being 17th with 5 games left. Need a big turnaround next year, we're better than this.
    Didn't they get 98 points or some ridiculous total like that one year, and still fail to get promoted? The Conference really needs a third promotion place, it's effectively League Three.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sr90)
    Didn't they get 98 points or some ridiculous total like that one year, and still fail to get promoted? The Conference really needs a third promotion place, it's effectively League Three.
    Agree with that, the standard has gone up in recent years and the League should recognise this.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team

The chairman could have told SISU to do one and stop trying to move a team out of it's ground. He's hardly the major culprit for the farce that Coventry find themselves in, but he, like the FL, FA and several others, are at least complicit.

In fairness, they (like Leicester, Derby, Middlesbrough and several others) changed grounds due to capacities - Coventry were dragged out of theirs as the pawn in a stand-off between the two sets of owners. It's more comparable to MK Dons if any club going - being dragged out of their city due to the owners financial interests rather than for the good of the club.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: April 22, 2018
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.