Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

2015 Physics Applicants Watch

• View Poll Results: Which Physics course(s) are you going to apply for?
    Physics BSc
    26.85%
    Physics MSci
    49.54%
    Theoretical Physics/ Phys & Maths BSc
    7.41%
    Theoretical Physics/ Phys & Maths MSci
    15.74%
    Physics with Astrophysics BSc
    7.87%
    Physics with Astrophysics MSci
    12.50%
    Physics and Philosophy BSc
    1.39%
    Physics and Philosophy MSci
    4.17%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tibbz2)
    WJEC, don't hear about many people on them for maths!

How are you finding M3?
    We do a topic in M3 called Impulsive Tension that's horrible and I find Statics (ladders with ropes etc) quite hard, but the other topics are quite nice

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DanRigg96#)
    We do a topic in M3 called Impulsive Tension that's horrible and I find Statics (ladders with ropes etc) quite hard, but the other topics are quite nice

Posted from TSR Mobile
    That sounds pretty bad :lol: I think the topic I like least is simple harmonic motion, there are 2 sets of equations one for motion and one for oscillations and I end up buggering them up even if I know what to use

(Original post by Lau14)
    C1-4, M1, D1 last year, FP1,3,4, M2, S1, S2 + self study FP2 + resit C3 this year (AQA).
    Our course only goes upto FP3! I couldn't bare to self study FP2 on OCR, I think it's the hardest unit I do

ReputationRep:
    That sounds pretty bad :lol: I think the topic I like least is simple harmonic motion, there are 2 sets of equations one for motion and one for oscillations and I end up buggering them up even if I know what to use

Our course only goes upto FP3! I couldn't bare to self study FP2 on OCR, I think it's the hardest unit I do
    Yeah I know someone who does the OCR course and it sounds awful! FP2 for us has more complex numbers, roots of polynomial equations, summation of finite series, de Moivre's theorem, inverse trig, hyperbolic functions and arc length/surface of revolution. Usually FP1-3 are done as standard but our college is weird apparently.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lau14)
    Yeah I know someone who does the OCR course and it sounds awful! FP2 for us has more complex numbers, roots of polynomial equations, summation of finite series, de Moivre's theorem, inverse trig, hyperbolic functions and arc length/surface of revolution. Usually FP1-3 are done as standard but our college is weird apparently.
    OCR FP3 is awesome.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alow)
    OCR FP3 is awesome.
    This!

ReputationRep:
    This!
    IMO groups is the best topic.

ReputationRep:
    what career do you guys hope to have in the future? Don't you think physics is a bit limiting when you could do something like engineering and work in an industry that actually makes cool things that use physics?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ZSuperSaiyan)
    what career do you guys hope to have in the future? Don't you think physics is a bit limiting when you could do something like engineering and work in an industry that actually makes cool things that use physics?
    I honestly either want to be a physicist or a physics teacher

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    A physics degree is not limiting at all, theres research opportunities and many physics graduates go on to working in industry that actually make cool things that use physics

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alow)
    IMO groups is the best topic.
    I enjoyed them, quite a simple concept too... Just found some lessons a bit boring writing out all the tables and isomorphism bits

Differential equations are probably my favorite topic, groups close second though

Vectors I hate, but I understand them more now so they're not as bad as when I tried to learn them in C4

ReputationRep:
    I enjoyed them, quite a simple concept too... Just found some lessons a bit boring writing out all the tables and isomorphism bits

Differential equations are probably my favorite topic, groups close second though

Vectors I hate, but I understand them more now so they're not as bad as when I tried to learn them in C4
    When you get a bit more into groups they get super interesting. DEs area bit too formulaic for my liking, it's just following a set of instructions...

Vectors are awful, even for my first year exams at uni I won't be touching a question on them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alow)
    When you get a bit more into groups they get super interesting. DEs area bit too formulaic for my liking, it's just following a set of instructions...

Vectors are awful, even for my first year exams at uni I won't be touching a question on them.
    I know what you mean, but I guess i like DEs because that makes them easier to do

The worst thing about vectors is I hear they're pretty important in physics courses

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alow)
    OCR FP3 is awesome.
    With the exception of groups, from what I can see on the spec we have everything from it somewhere in FP2, 3 and 4. Differentials are pretty great, we're partway through that section currently.

ReputationRep:
    I'm studying physics because I find it more interesting than anything else and I want to be able to learn higher level stuff, I'm not studying it to go into a specific career path. Obviously I'd like to end up in something like research but realistically that won't happen so as long as I have a stable enough income to survive I'm not so bothered what career I end up in!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Physics is the opposite of "limiting". When I graduate, I'll have very good maths, logic, computing, and practical skills. That sets me up for so many different career paths. Personally, I either want to teach or go into medical physics.

ReputationRep:
    Not a ****ing clue, other than definitely not IB/Accounting/Consultancy. I haven't even decided what modules I'll pick next year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rachelc142)
    I'm studying physics because I find it more interesting than anything else and I want to be able to learn higher level stuff, I'm not studying it to go into a specific career path. Obviously I'd like to end up in something like research but realistically that won't happen so as long as I have a stable enough income to survive I'm not so bothered what career I end up in!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I initially had thoughts similar to this so I decided to do a Joint Honors Course of Physics and Maths (I love Maths too). But in reality, a lot of employers look for Physics graduates because of the wide range of skills that Physics students acquire.

ReputationRep:
    I have a question haha.. on student finance, if anyone else has applied? the uni i originally put down let me choose my course as physics, but i changed my uni and now when choosing my course, all that comes up is things like BA honours, BSc honours, BSc single etc with about 10/15 more like that and i have no idea what to choose?! 😂 i have applied for just physics (F300) if anyone can help hahaha

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    F300 is a Bsc honours course isn't it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DanRigg96#)
    F300 is a Bsc honours course isn't it?
    No idea hahaha! like i know its Bsc but was just confused as to whether it was an honours or just single, i think they were the two i was confused between

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.