Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GandalfWhite)
    I am not from the university or involved in any Admissions so I do not know the reason. But, my interpretation would be that the minimum requirements is set so that they can admit the right applicants, not just the top applicants. Some applicants may have all A* but their PS may reveal that they are not right for the course or the course is not right for them. Some applicants may be perfect for the course and the course perfect for them but their academics may just be AAA. Now, is anyone able to say that someone with AAA is not smart enough to complete most degrees? It is only in highly technical degrees where quantitative subjects like Maths, FM, Physics, Chemistry which also have a higher % of A*, that is not inappropriate to ask for A*AA or even A*A*A and you can see Imperial doing that. For courses that require qualitative abilities, and so the requirements will ask for some writing subjects like History, English, etc where it is also a fact that the % of A* is maybe about half that of quantitative subjects, then it is only right not to demand A* especially if the university desires to admit the right candidates.

And, to answer your question .... of course, if you are predicted A*AA or A*A*A and you satisfy the subject combination and a strong PS, then the answer is YES.
    Okay thanks

ReputationRep:
    Everyone should already know that LSE looks at
    - Subject Combination,
    - Academic Profile, and
    - Personal Statement,
    not just Academic profile.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, so I sent my UCAS application yesterday and received an email from LSE today saying that they will decide upon my offer within 12 weeks. What does that mean? And why are others having a 2-week or 8-week email instead? I applied for accounting and finance Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mariusk03)
    That's just the basic acknowledgement email, everyone gets that.. the 2 week email etc comes afterwards!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    Really hope I don't have to wait a whole 8 weeks to hear. I'm not even through my first week since the 8 week email and ready to burst

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GandalfWhite)
    Not really fair or accurate to compare with Oxbridge directly because one can only apply EITHER to Cambridge or to Oxford. Applicants would have applied to both if they were allowed. So, to be fair and accurate, one needs to add numbers from both universities to get a comparable number, for courses that are available in both universities. Oxford E&M has no equivalent in Cambridge and the ratio for that, just from the top of my head, is around 11:1. Essentially, LSE is as competitive as Oxford and Cambridge, in terms of numbers of applicants.
    Thanks for your reply, I understand it now. How competitive are UCL and KCL, are they comparable to LSE?

ReputationRep:
    Damn! Why is Politics an Philosophy so competitive? Why my course???

ReputationRep:
    TO EVERYONE WHOSE APPLYING FOR ECONOMICS AND ECONOMIC HISTORY: has anything actually happened yet?

ReputationRep:
    Anyone applied for economic history? Got the 2 week email last week so should be hearing from them soon 😔 nervous

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blvnk)
    Got an offer for management on thursday, good luck everyone!
    Well done!!

What subjects do you do? and what AS did you get if you don't mind me asking?

ReputationRep:
    Is it possible to get the 2 week email and then not get through to the 8 week email. Just seems a bit pointless having both, why not one 10 week email??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by d37zoptimistic)
    So no one is applying for actuarial science lol, do gcses matter a lot ?? Got a* (maths) a (science ) a (science) b b b b b b c c c but predictes a* a a in maths chemistry biology at a level. What do you lot think?
    Hey actuarial science applicant here hope we both get what we deserve

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hopsidooda)
    Is it possible to get the 2 week email and then not get through to the 8 week email. Just seems a bit pointless having both, why not one 10 week email??
    It is possible, for example if your predicted grades are ridiculously low or something (i.e. they don't meet the minimum entry requirements).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hopsidooda)
    The first two weeks are for the admissions assessor to figure out if you meet all the minimum requirements, so as to filter out all the hopefulls who do not. Then, your application is passed on to the admissions selector,​ which is when the 8 week email is sent.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Millerman)
    Well done!!

What subjects do you do? and what AS did you get if you don't mind me asking?
    Maths, bio, Econ and RE; got 4As

you?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by philerus)
    The first two weeks are for the admissions assessor to figure out if you meet all the minimum requirements, so as to filter out all the hopefulls who do not. Then, your application is passed on to the admissions selector,​ which is when the 8 week email is sent.
    Forgive me for asking..

And then what happens????

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adriaan)
    Thanks for your reply, I understand it now. How competitive are UCL and KCL, are they comparable to LSE?
    LSE is just a social science university whereas UCL and KCL are much more than social science and are well known as well as competitive in many other fields as well. If you are asking in regards to similar courses like LSE ... yes many are as competitive ... like Law and Economics ...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tazza ma razza)
    Forgive me for asking..

And then what happens????
    And then you either get rejected, accepted or sent another email asking you to wait even longer, so that you are assessed against even more candidates who applied after that date.

ReputationRep:
    Any PPE proposals?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by normandi)
    How competitive is the accounting and finance course?
    1/12 get an offer

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.