The Student Room Group

Nottingham A100 2015 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Withdrawing my application, good luck everyone! Just in case you're wondering, I'm firming Birmingham and insuring Bristol :smile:
Original post by melon47
I couldn't find it either....
Also, would you recommend catered or self catered as a medic?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I will PM it to you in a second.
And its up to you what you prefer in terms of halls.
Reply 822
Posted from TSR Mobile

Dilemma choosing between Bristol and Nottingham...anyone else got this problem?
Just got an email from Nottingham... got so excited, really annoyed that it was just another update email :angry: I wish Nottingham and Bristol would just make their bloody minds up!
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by (Patrick)
Just got an email from Nottingham... got so excited, really annoyed that it was just another update email :angry: I wish Nottingham and Bristol would just make their bloody minds up!

What did they say?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by unibanana
What did they say?

Dear applicant,
We appreciate how difficult it can be waiting on results from your interviews and are very grateful for your patience. We have released a handful of offers with the majority being given out in April after all interviews have been completed.

Then there was a link to a video about how good nottingham is

Original post by (Patrick)
Dear applicant,
We appreciate how difficult it can be waiting on results from your interviews and are very grateful for your patience. We have released a handful of offers with the majority being given out in April after all interviews have been completed.

Then there was a link to a video about how good nottingham is

we know that..dont we?
Yeah I got that email as well at 10am :/ this waiting is horrible!
Original post by TomKC
Posted from TSR Mobile

Nottingham :biggrin:. It's cheaper and freshers is better cause we have Karnival. And your Karni reps are sick guys, they gonna make your fresher the best thing ever.
Unless you really prefer Bristol for some weird reason like gut feeling or course structure appeals to you more, choose Nottingham. After all, academically we have full body dissections ;D (you hate them after a while but you also wouldn't give up on them)
Reply 829
Original post by TomKC
Posted from TSR Mobile

If I were in your postion, I'd choose Bristol without a seconds thought, seeing as it's regularly voted the nicest city to live in in the UK. It also has a higher satisfaction rate, lower staff:student ratio, and is more internationally renowned and has a better reputation. Also, going to the competitive medical school in the UK and fighting off 5,000 other people for your place is an incredible achievement, and something people will know if you go to Bristol.

it's up to you at the end of day, and which 'feels' right
Original post by 786687
If I were in your postion, I'd choose Bristol without a seconds thought, seeing as it's regularly voted the nicest city to live in in the UK. It also has a higher satisfaction rate, lower staff:student ratio, and is more internationally renowned and has a better reputation. Also, going to the competitive medical school in the UK and fighting off 5,000 other people for your place is an incredible achievement, and something people will know if you go to Bristol.

it's up to you at the end of day, and which 'feels' right

all nice and cool but guys please remember that at the end of the day it DOESNT matter which med school you attended. You all gonna be employed, all gonna be doctor and noone will actually care if you finished Bristol, Birmingham or Plymouth. The only thing that varies between med schools is course structure and you really should look at that. But don't bother looking at academic research etc cause as future doctors, noone will look at that either. After all its all down to how well you do in finals and to which hospital you go for your F1 and F2….and even then I dont think it matters that much unless you are going for the next Nobel prize :P
Reply 831
Original post by Nottie
all nice and cool but guys please remember that at the end of the day it DOESNT matter which med school you attended. You all gonna be employed, all gonna be doctor and noone will actually care if you finished Bristol, Birmingham or Plymouth. The only thing that varies between med schools is course structure and you really should look at that. But don't bother looking at academic research etc cause as future doctors, noone will look at that either. After all its all down to how well you do in finals and to which hospital you go for your F1 and F2….and even then I dont think it matters that much unless you are going for the next Nobel prize :P

I think the most important single factor is the location/feel/area of the university itself. These days, the GMC dictates the curriculum. Yes teaching style matters, but you're still going to learn the exact same stuff at Bristol at the end of the 5 years as you learn at Nottingham. The university itself matters, in my opinion anyway, because that's where you're going to spend the next 5 years of your life. 5 years is a long time- it's the same length as your entire secondary education. Your environment will not influence how enjoyable the next 5 years of your life are, but will also shape you as a person. If you're unhappy at university, you're not going to learn as much and your attitude towards your career path will be reflected later on in your career.

Obviously, I'm not the medical student here, so I'm probably talking absolute rubbish here, but just choose the one you think you'll be happiest at.
Original post by 786687
I think the most important single factor is the location/feel/area of the university itself. These days, the GMC dictates the curriculum. Yes teaching style matters, but you're still going to learn the exact same stuff at Bristol at the end of the 5 years as you learn at Nottingham. The university itself matters, in my opinion anyway, because that's where you're going to spend the next 5 years of your life. 5 years is a long time- it's the same length as your entire secondary education. Your environment will not influence how enjoyable the next 5 years of your life are, but will also shape you as a person. If you're unhappy at university, you're not going to learn as much and your attitude towards your career path will be reflected later on in your career.

Obviously, I'm not the medical student here, so I'm probably talking absolute rubbish here, but just choose the one you think you'll be happiest at.

yes you are right, if you are kuck enough to have more than 1 offer then go for whichever uni you felt better at. This gut feeling telling you that for some unknown reason you want to end up in particular uni is usually a right feeling. However, ranking and all those stuff dont matter…you are not doing English or Philosophy where future emplyment have choice of over 100 uni grads, as far as I am known after your finals you are all ranked, all med students from all uni and that decides where you gonna end up after all.
But look at the way of teaching…its important that it suits you.
Reply 833
I didn't get the email. Should I be worried? :frown:
Original post by alaskaa
I didn't get the email. Should I be worried? :frown:

No. As it didn't contain any important information I doubt it will mean anything.
Don't know whether to withdraw my application or not. Notts would be my back up and they wouldn't give me a lower offer than bsms
Reply 836
Original post by Turdasaurus Rex
Don't know whether to withdraw my application or not. Notts would be my back up and they wouldn't give me a lower offer than bsms

what was your fifth choice? If I were you, I would put that as my insurance, just in case you flunk your A levels
Original post by Nottie
I will PM it to you in a second.
And its up to you what you prefer in terms of halls.

I assume you are a med student at Nottingham (if not then I apologise) I was just wondering if you know how lenient Nottingham are with grades? E.g. if you performed really well at interview would that have any effect on the grades you get on results day? Have they ever accepted A*AB or AAB for example. Thanks :smile:
Original post by lulagirl15
I assume you are a med student at Nottingham (if not then I apologise) I was just wondering if you know how lenient Nottingham are with grades? E.g. if you performed really well at interview would that have any effect on the grades you get on results day? Have they ever accepted A*AB or AAB for example. Thanks :smile:

I really don't know how lenient they are since I met my offer so wasn't really bother about it. But on the results day 1 girl posted on our group that she didn't get it. I guess it all depends on how many people meet their offer, if they have still free places after that, they might accept you.
Reply 839
Are offers based just on interview performance?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending