Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hamas break 2-hour humanitarian ceasefire - truce collapses and fighting resumes

Well, Hamas certainly seem intent on going all out to cause as many deaths as they can. Absolutely vile.

Not a single ceasefire or humanitarian window has been observed by them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CryptoidAlien)
    Looks like a heat-map of increased diversity to me. At least it's more multicultural now.
    http://www.cjpmo.org/DisplayDocument.aspx?DocumentID=18

In 1940, around 30% of the Palestinian population was Jewish, about 61% Muslim, 7% Christian and almost 1% other. I'd consider that quite multicultural already. It's not as though there was a severe shortage of non Muslims in Palestine before 1948.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CryptoidAlien)
    Lets be honest that country belongs to Jews.
    why? People of other races and religions have lived in the region for centuries, what unique claim do the Jews have?

ReputationRep:
    Palestine has never been a country, merely a remnant of the Ottoman Empire administered by the British under a League of Nations mandate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chindits)
    Hamas break 2-hour humanitarian ceasefire - truce collapses and fighting resumes

Well, Hamas certainly seem intent on going all out to cause as many deaths as they can. Absolutely vile.

Not a single ceasefire or humanitarian window has been observed by them.
    I don't know how long this ridiculous situation is going to go on for but it has to stop.

Jewish people are getting very bad reputation throughout the world,are you happy with this as a jew?

Leave gaza alone.
    at this rate they will die from hunger anway.Hamas may not run out of rockets as they made stock of them from before but Palestinian civils are facing starvation.
    I am serious.
    even you stop all your bombing right now, the civils will all soon die anyway due to blockade of Egypt and israel.as they are srarving

Why is so hard for you to live in peace?
    hamas stop attacking israel,
    Israel leave Gaza alone.

Is it so impossible?

ReputationRep:
    I think the Germans should give their land back to the Prussians. After all, there was never a country of Germany before 1871, so Germans don't exist. Germans have done some bad things stealing other people's land, so don't deserve their own.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lucaf)
    why? People of other races and religions have lived in the region for centuries, what unique claim do the Jews have?
    Read your bible m8 its pretty clear! Or read up on your history the Jews have had ownership and have been living in Israel since c. 1500 BCE!

ReputationRep:
    Palestine did exist. As a British protectorate. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mandatory_Palestine

The Israelis and their" holier than thou" right wing supporters would do well to remember that a wing of the IDF and the political party led by Benjamin Netanyahu started out as a terrorist organisation styled on anti-British Imperialist paramilitaries like the old IRA. They blew up the King David Hotel killing 91 people. They also killed more than 100 Arabs, many women and children in a massacre of a Palestinian village- Deir Yassin.

Of course now that they are nation state with the backing of Uncle Sam as opposed to freedom fighters/terrorists they can kill 100s or Arabs with impunity.

ReputationRep:
    Actually going back in the history of Palestine, it was originally occupied by an arab tribe (this goes back to over 5000 years ago!), the Cananites, and the first Jews only came in after the Pharoahs in about 586-977 BC and it wasn't called Israel. The Jews were then removed from old Palestine (it had lots of different names depending on who was ruling) and didn't settle back in until 1917 after the first world war where the British told them (Balfour Promise) that they can have some land. This actually wasn't even discussed with the settlers in Palestine and so they had their land given to strangers without permission. It wasn't until 1948 that the Zionists named 'their' state Israel. So in actual fact the history of the land goes way back further than what we know.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrsHerondale)
    Actually going back in the history of Palestine, it was originally occupied by an arab tribe (this goes back to over 5000 years ago!), the Cananites, and the first Jews only came in after the Pharoahs in about 586-977 BC and it wasn't called Israel. The Jews were then removed from old Palestine (it had lots of different names depending on who was ruling) and didn't settle back in until 1917 after the first world war where the British told them (Balfour Promise) that they can have some land. This actually wasn't even discussed with the settlers in Palestine and so they had their land given to strangers without permission. It wasn't until 1948 that the Zionists named 'their' state Israel. So in actual fact the history of the land goes way back further than what we know.
    Think they also promised the Arabs their own state there in return for the Arabs driving the Turks from Palestine/Transjordan? The Brits were then trying to keep both the Jews and the oil rich Arabs happy after WW2.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    :lolwut: the region was known as Palaestina by the Ancient Greeks..
    • TSR Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gooner4ever)
    Read your bible m8 its pretty clear! Or read up on your history the Jews have had ownership and have been living in Israel since c. 1500 BCE!
    Well clearly you haven't read it

The Jews claim to be owed the land as it states in the Bible that the seeds of Prophet Abraham (pbuh) are to inherit the earth - he had two sons, one was the ancestors of Arabs, and the other the ancestor of Jews.
    It does not specify which seed exactly.

It further states that the land of Israel cannot be rightfully formed until the messiah returns to guide the Chosen People.

Despite this, the irony of it all is that the original founders of Israel and Zionism were atheists, and many leaders since then have been atheist ..after they were repeatedly denied by many European countries of forming their own Jewish state, they resorted to claiming land by referring to ambiguous statements from a book that they did not have belief in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chindits)
    Now, now. You're starting to move the goal posts.

Iron Dome is a 'defensive' system and in no way contributes to any argument over proportionality.

The discussion is about Israel's offensive retaliatory response which you deem to be disproportionate.

After all, no laws exist that state warring parties must be completely equal.

Now I conservatively estimate that if Israelis returned the 1,400 rockets fired at Israel, back into Gaza - there would be perhaps 3,000 deaths and 15,000 injuries.

For example, a Grad strike (the type of rocket 'palestinians' enjoy firing) hit a Ukrainian military post killing 30 soldiers recently. So we know they can be quite lethal of course.

I would love Israel to do this, just to see the confused expressions on European faces....like...."oh damn...what can we accuse them of now...they're literally being as proportionate as can be...yet more palestinians are dying"
    How is this moving goalposts? You're claiming that you want to equalise the strikes between IDF and Hamas and yet you allow one side the best defensive system in the world and leave the other side with no means to defends itself? Now this is moving goalposts.
    Like I said, by now I assume you are trolling. Is that the best you can come up with?
    No laws exist to make warring sides completely equal, but legal is not equal to moral, and IDF broke plenty of international laws already.
    You would love Israel to return the rockets fired into Gaza (sans any protection that Israel has and Gaza hasn't), call that proportionate, and all that just to see the expression of European faces? Bravo! This is the kind of disregard to human life and bloodlust that is so hard to hide under "it was Hamas wot dun it"

ReputationRep:
    LOL. Arabs have inhabited these lands. There is no such thing as a 'palestinian'.

Popular 'palestinian' surnames:

Al-Masri translates to 'the Egyptian'
    Al-Djazair translates to 'The Algerian'

Well perhaps that explains the opposition many Arab nations place towards those who aren't native to the area, unlike 'the Egyptian' or 'the Algerian'. In that case, why do Jews have license to call this land theirs? Should a majority population be kicked off where they have lived for generations because of a mere line or two in the Old Testament? I have no problem with Jews, or heck, even Zionism, but why in a place that is already inhabited?

Population size does not equate to ownership. This is what you need to get through your head.

If there was only ONE Jew and he owned half of 'palestine' it would not matter if 10,000 'palestinians' lived on it, it's Jewish land.

Going by your logic then, Jerusalem belongs to Jews because Jerusalem had a bigger Jewish population than 'palestinian'.

The rest of your post becomes increasingly wide-eyed, which is no surprise given that Iranian media has been controlled for 35+ years.

There are no settlements in Gaza by the way.[/QUOTE]

Jews always had a very little minority of the land mass known as Palestine; 8% before occupation. Obviously, in this day and age, are there more Jewish people than any other sect in Israel. But, I'm talking about the point of occupation - where there were much more of these Arabs you talk about than Jews. And no, it doesn't take 35 of Iranian propaganda to realise that.

Why is it Jewish land exactly? Please elaborate on your rationale in this regard.

And, I regard all settlements beyond the 1967 markings agreed by the UN to be illegal and that which occupies the land of Palestinians. I'm not just discussing Gaza here; just trying to get away from that 'NOW' mentality you have me believe to exclusively possess.

I have one last question for this rebuttal of mine, which I appreciate you reading.

What would you have me believe in all this situation?

I'm not being sarcastic, but I just want to know what you ultimately want me to believe, about Israel and Palestine. We can bicker over one over another about the wrong-doings of both sides or we can look at the big picture here. This matters more than a few air strikes or Soviet rockets.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A Mysterious Lord)
    Palestine has never been a country, merely a remnant of the Ottoman Empire administered by the British under a League of Nations mandate.
    It took forever, but the UN recognises Palestine as a country now....

ReputationRep:
    A few selected photos to display aftermath of the massacre in Shujaia by Israeli forces:

Spoiler:
    Show

Link to video here.

ReputationRep:
    Israeli censorship of the media involves:

a) Forcing journalists to evacuate their buildings
    b) Forcing journalists to sign a disclaimer saying the IDF will not be responsible for any injuries
    c) Carrying out airstrikes against media buildings

ReputationRep:
    This Hamas guy seems to agree with the OP

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=efa_1333570776

01:17 for the relevant bit.

ReputationRep:
    A well-known Israeli politician and parliament member has branded Palestinians as terrorists, saying mothers of all Palestinians should also be killed during the ongoing Israeli assault on the besieged Gaza Strip, Daily Sabah reported.

Ayelet Shaked of the ultra-nationalist Jewish Home party called for the slaughter of Palestinian mothers who give birth to "little snakes."
    Israeli Jewish Home MP:

"They have to die and their houses should be demolished so that they cannot bear any more terrorists," Shaked said, adding, "They are all our enemies and their blood should be on our hands. This also applies to the mothers of the dead terrorists.”
    The remarks are considered as a call for genocide as she declared that all Palestinians are Israel's enemies and must be killed.

On Monday (July 7) Shaked quoted this on her Facebook page:

"Behind every terrorist stand dozens of men and women, without whom he could not engage in terrorism. They are all enemy combatants, and their blood shall be on all their heads. Now this also includes the mothers of the martyrs, who send them to hell with flowers and kisses. They should follow their sons, nothing would be more just. They should go, as should the physical homes in which they raised the snakes. Otherwise, more little snakes will be raised there."

Any reason Israeli extremists such as the above should not be bombed to hell and back if Hamas could carry out "precision" strikes?

Go on pro-Israelis, you've ****ing gone silent now haven't you?

ReputationRep:
    Israeli Soldiers lie dead.

Name:  GazaIsraelSoldier.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  61.5 KB

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 8, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.