Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zorg)
    Sit the GAMSAT in Sept. if only to get to know the beast. Familiarity will help calm your nerves a lot and should be easier the second time around if only because you'll be quicker at settling in.
    Biology factual knowledge is actually quite minimal, all of the biology questions have the information in the text. Chemistry is something you should focus on but I'm pretty sure you could get through AS level Chem and Bio in a week, maybe two.

I've met a few arts grads at offer open days who smashed S1 and/or S2 and brought their averages up. Though officially S3 is double weighted, SGUL and Notts use both S3 weighted and equal weighting averages and use the higher one. Swansea always use the official average.

To be honest it would be a shame to not try for the 3 additional unis simply for lack of confidence.
    I've noticed the same thing about the biology questions. They seem to be like the verbal reasoning questions where all the information you need is to be interpreted from the passage. It's a bit annoying actually as biology is my strongest subject.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zorg)
    Sit the GAMSAT in Sept. if only to get to know the beast. Familiarity will help calm your nerves a lot and should be easier the second time around if only because you'll be quicker at settling in.
    Biology factual knowledge is actually quite minimal, all of the biology questions have the information in the text. Chemistry is something you should focus on but I'm pretty sure you could get through AS level Chem and Bio in a week, maybe two.

I've met a few arts grads at offer open days who smashed S1 and/or S2 and brought their averages up. Though officially S3 is double weighted, SGUL and Notts use both S3 weighted and equal weighting averages and use the higher one. Swansea always use the official average.

To be honest it would be a shame to not try for the 3 additional unis simply for lack of confidence.
    Thanks. Due to your reply I didn't cancel my GAMSAT today as I was planning to.

I'm just generally doubting my ability to do a medical degree at all at the moment, never mind the GAMSAT. Some days I'm determined and other days I think there are other careers in the NHS that wouldn't require me putting myself through this. I'm just very much in a limbo state I guess but I think I'd deeply regret not at least trying to do this.

(Original post by Lisagee10)
    I'm in the same position as you. Ukcat does seem like the easier option and the uni I really want looks for it, but I'm worried about messing it up on the day and ruining my chances, so I'm taking the gamsat as well. It's easy to get bogged down with gamsat prep, it appears to be designed to scare the hell out of you, but try not to lose your confidence. Most people feel the same way.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I have that worry too. I need 700+ on the UKCAT and that's scaring the pants off me. I think you're right about the GAMSAT. Do you mind sharing what your first degree is and generally your background? You can PM if that's preferable. I don't get to talk to a lot of Arts grads in our position.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ForestCat)
    Ahhh do they have a really late graduation or something?

Are you excited? Not too long to go now.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Perhaps I have my numbers wrong... :s

Excited? Understatement of the millennia.
    I'm getting tired of this waiting. Received my last rota though and it feels so good to see no shifts to my name after Sept 6th
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Zorg)
    Well no, unless I'm mistaken everyone who enters GEM in 2015 will be graduating in 2020...

Excited? Understatement of the millennia.
    I'm getting tired of this waiting. Received my last rota though and it feels so good to see no shifts to my name after Sept 6th
    Now I'm just confused. Or are you counting end of fy1 as graduation?

When do you start? Are you giving yourself a break before you start?

ReputationRep:
    Now I'm just confused. Or are you counting end of fy1 as graduation?

When do you start? Are you giving yourself a break before you start?
    Haha I think I have my numbers wrong... It's 2019 that is the end of the course.

I have the last two weeks of work down as annual leave, but realistically most of that will be spent moving. Going to spend a weekend away and maybe a day here and there to visit friends before I start.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Zorg)
    Haha I think I have my numbers wrong... It's 2019 that is the end of the course.

I have the last two weeks of work down as annual leave, but realistically most of that will be spent moving. Going to spend a weekend away and maybe a day here and there to visit friends before I start.
    Lol, I wondered if I was missing something that delayed it for a year.

ReputationRep:
    Lol, I wondered if I was missing something that delayed it for a year.
    I just added 4 years to 2015 and assumed it was the 19/20 academic year I would finish on.

Though I'm not sure how I managed to make sense of it when someone else asked me before, or maybe I was sleep deprived like most other days...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zorg)
    I just added 4 years to 2015 and assumed it was the 19/20 academic year I would finish on.

Though I'm not sure how I managed to make sense of it when someone else asked me before, or maybe I was sleep deprived like most other days...
    I'm not going to lie, a small part of me is slightly sad that we don't graduate 2020. I just really like rounded numbers...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MJK91)
    I'm not going to lie, a small part of me is slightly sad that we don't graduate 2020. I just really like rounded numbers...
    I knew I wasn't the only one!

ReputationRep:
    Just out of curiosity... Why are there way more university spaces for undergrad medicine than graduate? Competition is much higher for graduate entry due to the few spaces available i.e. we need a higher UKCAT score, already have a degree, need more work experience etc.
    When I think about it like this, it makes America's system, where they require that applicants already have a degree (pre-med) before doing medicine, make much more sense.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DoeADeer)
    Just out of curiosity... Why are there way more university spaces for undergrad medicine than graduate? Competition is much higher for graduate entry due to the few spaces available i.e. we need a higher UKCAT score, already have a degree, need more work experience etc.
    When I think about it like this, it makes America's system, where they require that applicants already have a degree (pre-med) before doing medicine, make much more sense.
    This is more to do with how medicine has been taught in the UK historically.
    You could change the system slowly, GEM was only introduced in the new millennium. However as we publicly fund all first degrees and then the vast majority of GEM funding too, this would dramatically increase the cost of training a doctor.
    USA's system works because they have a mix of private and public funding for higher education.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by MJK91)
    I'm also liking your new sig... Really nice to see so many success stories this year!

ReputationRep:
    I'm also liking your new sig... Really nice to see so many success stories this year!
    I shamefully stole the idea from another Warwick applicant hehe But yeah it's awesome! Much, much nicer being on the other side of the line!

How're your studies going?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by MJK91)
    I shamefully stole the idea from another Warwick applicant hehe But yeah it's awesome! Much, much nicer being on the other side of the line!

How're your studies going?
    Passed the first year, so thats one thing! Gone back to working, near enough full time, in order to pay for the next 3 years. Go back for final pre-clinical session in Sept and I have a feeling its going to be a bad term!

ReputationRep:
    Passed the first year, so thats one thing! Gone back to working, near enough full time, in order to pay for the next 3 years. Go back for final pre-clinical session in Sept and I have a feeling its going to be a bad term!

You'll be fine, you have little choice Yeah I'm currently weighing up the options for surviving 2nd-4th years! The reduced maintenance loan and income-assessed component to the NHS bursary may see me quite out of pocket! My mum's getting married in the autumn and my dad's the higher earner of the two so either way I think I'm going to lose some money later on.

Damn parental happiness, always getting in the way...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MJK91)
    You'll be fine, you have little choice Yeah I'm currently weighing up the options for surviving 2nd-4th years! The reduced maintenance loan and income-assessed component to the NHS bursary may see me quite out of pocket! My mum's getting married in the autumn and my dad's the higher earner of the two so either way I think I'm going to lose some money later on.

Damn parental happiness, always getting in the way...
    I hope you realise how depressed you make me every time I come onto TSR (which is fairly frequent given the sad number of hours I'm still donating to finishing this now useless law degree!) with all your sop stories about how your maintenance loan is being reduced! Try being Scottish and getting sweet f all, then you might deserve sympathy!

ReputationRep:
    Yo!

Couple of things- i'm tweaking my UCAS application- considering we are GEM applicants, and considering I am applying to institutions which do not consider GCSE or A Level qualifications, is there any point adding these in UCAS? Or should I just put my degree in and leave it at that? It will be such a pain to put everything in if it isn't even looked at.

Also, hope everyone exam prep is going well. I'm sitting the UKCAT on friday and feeling moderately okay about it. In mocks i'm scoring competitively in all areas except QR- however my score has been improving. Don't know about anyone else but I will be ripping up that 600Q with relish once the exam is over.

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone share how they are preparing for section 3? Always good to get new ideas and advice about what works for others

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by entwinedflames)
    Yo!

Couple of things- i'm tweaking my UCAS application- considering we are GEM applicants, and considering I am applying to institutions which do not consider GCSE or A Level qualifications, is there any point adding these in UCAS? Or should I just put my degree in and leave it at that? It will be such a pain to put everything in if it isn't even looked at.

Also, hope everyone exam prep is going well. I'm sitting the UKCAT on friday and feeling moderately okay about it. In mocks i'm scoring competitively in all areas except QR- however my score has been improving. Don't know about anyone else but I will be ripping up that 600Q with relish once the exam is over.
    You have to declare all your grades, even if the places you're applying to take no notice of them.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by am1992)
    I hope you realise how depressed you make me every time I come onto TSR (which is fairly frequent given the sad number of hours I'm still donating to finishing this now useless law degree!) with all your sop stories about how your maintenance loan is being reduced! Try being Scottish and getting sweet f all, then you might deserve sympathy!
    To be fair it'd be the same for me if I tried to go to a Scottish university wouldn't it? :P

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.