Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Have any of you finished f215 yet?
    we're half way through genomes and gene technologies. still got ecosystems, plant responses and populations and sustainability to muddle through and I don't think we'll finish in time
    How much are f214 and f215 worth for the final A2 grade? coursework was a dire experience too

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AnnekaChan173)
    Fatty liver and cirrhosis? It's one of those ones which links modules, since NAD is needed to convert fatty acids to something that can bind to CoA (and can be shuttled into the Krebs Cycle) and NAD is also used when detoxifying alcohol. Alcoholics get fatty liver because there is too little NAD available for B-oxidation to take place as it's being used to detoxify the alcohol, fatty acids aren't converted to a state that allows them to be respired, so fatty acids are converted to triglycerides, which form fatty deposits in hepatocytes. It's somewhere in the textbook.

Ignore all the stuff that you don't need, but NAD is used here.

Not sure which paper but I've seen questions, mainly in those question packs. So they might be legacy ones but they're worth doing imo.
    I see what you mean- thought you meant alcohol was broken down by beta oxidation pathway before. :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HeyThereHarry)
    I just replied to you in the comments section but I'll do it here as well haha:

Yeah, but I don't think that's relevant for us because I don't think this document was created all that recently. I'm not sure who made it
    Hey bro, i'm just curious, where did you find that document?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Forever96)
    Have any of you finished f215 yet?
    we're half way through genomes and gene technologies. still got ecosystems, plant responses and populations and sustainability to muddle through and I don't think we'll finish in time
    How much are f214 and f215 worth for the final A2 grade? coursework was a dire experience too
    Have you not gone on study leave yet? We finished the course about a month ago. F214 is 30% and F215 in 50%.

ReputationRep:
    This was good

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vincentjack)
    This was good

Mrbiotom1 does it in more detail and better imo

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChoccyPhilly)
    Mrbiotom1 does it in more detail and better imo
    Do you have a link?

ReputationRep:
    Please tell me i'm not the only one who hasn't started revision for this

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vincentjack)
    Do you have a link?
    surprised you haven't heard of him. he covers the entire course in his own awkward manner. Bear in mind, he did this whilst doing his a levels

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNIF4WDQI10

(Original post by Olon)
    I think you're alone itt but it's not too late to get a good grade if you start to revise now

ReputationRep:
    surprised you haven't heard of him. he covers the entire course in his own awkward manner. Bear in mind, he did this whilst doing his a levels

I think you're alone itt but it's not too late to get a good grade if you start to revise now

Well that makes me feel a lot better

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Olon)
    Well that makes me feel a lot better
    But what did you expect? A whole thread of people saying "oh noes, we be ****ed". This isnt gcse where we can get away with that stuff anymore but you really do have plenty of time, just shy of a month and it's half term right now, so as long as you put the effort in things should be good for you

ReputationRep:
    But what did you expect? A whole thread of people saying "oh noes, we be ****ed". This isnt gcse where we can get away with that stuff anymore but you really do have plenty of time, just shy of a month and it's half term right now, so as long as you put the effort in things should be good for you
    Nothing really. Just thought a lot more people would be in the same boat as me. But anyway, i work quite well under pressure so it's all fine. It's not like i don't know the content, i just need to reinforce most of it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Olon)
    Haven't either. Need to start ASAP

ReputationRep:

Nice, thanks!

ReputationRep:
    In somatic nuclear transfer is a sperm cell not required to fertilize the egg with the implanted nucleus?

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone please help me with the evidence for the theory of chemiosmosis?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mini_123)
    Can anyone please help me with the evidence for the theory of chemiosmosis?
    • Researchers isolated mitochondria and treated them by placing them in a solution with a very low water potential.
    • This meant that the outer membrane ruptured, releasing the contents of the intermembrane space.
    • If they further treated these mitoblasts with a strong detergent, they could release the contents of the matrix.
    • This allowed them to identify the enzymes in the mitochondria, and to work out that the link reaction and Krebs cycle occurred in the matrix, whilst the enzymes for the electron transfer chain were embedded in the mitochondrial membrane.
    • Electron transfer in mitoblasts did not produce ATP, so they concluded that the intermembrane space was also involved
    • ATP was also not made if the mushroom-shaped parts of the stalked particles were removed from the inner membrane of the intact mitochondria.
    • ATP was also not made in the presence of oligomycin, an antibiotic which is now known to block the flow of protons through the ion channel part of ATP synthase.
    • In the intact mitochondria
    o The potential difference across the membrane was -200mV, being more negative on the matrix side than on the intermembrane space side.
    o The pH of the intermembrane space was lower than that of the matrix.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by laurenemilyxx)
    • researchers isolated mitochondria and treated them by placing them in a solution with a very low water potential.
    • this meant that the outer membrane ruptured, releasing the contents of the intermembrane space.
    • if they further treated these mitoblasts with a strong detergent, they could release the contents of the matrix.
    • this allowed them to identify the enzymes in the mitochondria, and to work out that the link reaction and krebs cycle occurred in the matrix, whilst the enzymes for the electron transfer chain were embedded in the mitochondrial membrane.
    • electron transfer in mitoblasts did not produce atp, so they concluded that the intermembrane space was also involved
    • atp was also not made if the mushroom-shaped parts of the stalked particles were removed from the inner membrane of the intact mitochondria.
    • atp was also not made in the presence of oligomycin, an antibiotic which is now known to block the flow of protons through the ion channel part of atp synthase.
    • in the intact mitochondria
    o the potential difference across the membrane was -200mv, being more negative on the matrix side than on the intermembrane space side.
    O the ph of the intermembrane space was lower than that of the matrix.
    thank you so much!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mini_123)
    thank you so much!!!
    No worries sweet x

ReputationRep:
    Please can someone explain oxidative phosphorylation to me? Thank you in advance

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.