Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by k.bryan4)
    for the question relating to how has research into child care developed it, how would you answer that in terms of A02, like the evaluations??
    Case studies

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tylerrrrr)
    For Robertson and Robertson, do you define each of PDD and then say when John displayed each?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Outline the Robertson's case studies of John, followed by the PDD model and then compare it to Lucy, Jane, Tom and Kate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amybrennand123)
    James Roberstson (Laura and John) developed PDD model from them which shows that short term seperation can cause detachment which therefore disrupts the bond between child and PCG :cool:
    Thank you! I've been applying the PDD model to John as well

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tylerrrrr)
    Does anyone know how to use the Robertsons study in relation to disruption of attachment?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It supports the PDD model of Protest Dispair Detachment in disruption of attachment.

John was left in care for the 9 days his mum was in hospital and dad at work.
    PROTEST - John cried, a lot...
    DISPAIR - He stopped crying and stopped eating, made less interaction with staff.
    DETACHMENT - Ignored mother on reunion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HemmingsHood)
    How does day care affect social development - agression
    NICHD and Shea et al + evaluations

How does day care affect social development - peer relations
    Shea et al and Campbell et al + evaluations

If they just ask you 'how does day care affect social developement' you could use any two of these studies and evaluate.
    Thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Romanoff)
    Um, no.

The PDD model, suggested by Bowlby, explains short-term deprivation.

Protest - immediate response to separation - crying, screaming, kicking and struggling to escape or clinging to the mother to prevent her leaving. This is an outward, direct expression of the child's anger, fear, bitterness and confusion.

Despair - protest is replaced by calmer, more apathetic behaviour. Anger and fear are still felt inwardly. There is little response to offers of comfort, instead the child comforts itself, by e.g. thumb-sucking.

Detachment - the child responds to people again, but treats everyone warily. Rejection of the care-giver on their return is common, as are signs of anger.

Yes it can be applied to Robertson and Robertson's study.
    Just bumping this up as some are asking.

ReputationRep:
    12 Marker
    Cultural variations of attachment (research)

-Van Ijzendoorn and squad, yeah, got that!

I cant AO2 any other research very well

I've got Fox who studied child rearing practices in Israel, so i'll analyse the Observational method etc...

but that's 2 studies

I have Grossman and Grossman (who said that different attachement types are viewed differently in different cultures) that's it though, how do i AO2 that??

Same with Takawashi - He said parenting skills are different in different cultures...

Could a valid AO2 point for either of these be that they dont consider Subcultures etc???
    Because it doesnt give a hint to any research method....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amybrennand123)
    he changed the name of it from critical to sensitive because of criticisms
    So is it the same thing ?,

ReputationRep:
    Just bumping this up as some are asking.
    Thank you! That's cleared it up for me

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    How do you answer a 12 marker on the learning theory?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Madiah123)
    So is it the same thing ?,
    yeah but when outlining bowlby for a01 the correct terminology is critical period

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jimwicks323)
    One explanation of attachment is learning theory. Learning theory is a behavioral (we learn everything through experiences!) approach and suggests that attachment is learned through classical or operant conditioning.

Classical conditioning involves learning through ASSOCIATION. Food (unconditioned stimulus (UCS)) produces a sense pleasure (unconditioned response (UCR)). The person who is feeding (usually the mother) is the neutral stimulus (NS) and becomes ASSOCIATED with the food. The feeder then becomes the conditioned stimulus (CS) and produces the feeling of pleasure associated with the food (conditioned response (CR))(even when food isn't present). This ASSOCIATION between an infant and caregiver is what leads to an attachment - according to classical conditioning. - This is based on Pavlov's research, you can describe that for a longer mark answer and then relate it to attachment by saying the above, but for any other ATTACHMENT question, this is enough.

Operant conditioning involves learning through REINFORCEMENT. The hungry infant feels uncomfortable and this creates a drive state to reduce the discomfort. When the infant is fed, the drive state is reduced and this produces a feeling of pleasure (which is rewarding). Food becomes a primary reinforcer and the person associated with avoiding the discomfort (the person feeding, e.g. mother) becomes a secondary reinforcer. This leads to an attachment being formed.

You can then go on to evaluate this by saying that learning theory suggests that food is the device to which an attachment can be formed however as research has found, e.g. Harlow (and explain what he found), this may not be the case. You can also support it by using Lorenz
    Bumping this up for Jim.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jimwicks323)
    I very very very very much doubt it will come up as a 12 marker, knock on wood. But either way, just outline how attachment is learned through classical and operant conditioning. Then for AO2 you can call it reductionist and say that a more holistic approach such as Bowlby's is better at explaining attachment, as well as Harlow's monkey study showing that sensitive care is also an important factor in developing attachment, not just food and survival as the learning theory suggests.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by k.bryan4)
    short-term involves chunking, loci, acronyms

long-term involves loci (as pairing room with item helps give it meaning), rehersal
    Ok, thank you so much!

ReputationRep:
    Don't forget you can just draw the WMM/MSM for easy full AO1 points!

ReputationRep:
    Can someone pls help me with this question? I'm confused as to how to link to the stem with the memory improvement strategies??

A student was revising Bowlby’s theory of attachment. He was trying to remember thenames of some features of Bowlby’s theory, including: EvolutionCritical periodSocial releasing mechanismsMonotropyContinuity hypothesis Using your knowledge of strategies for memory improvement, explain how the studentcould memorise some of these features. Use examples from the list above.

ReputationRep:
    Bumping this up for Jim.
    Very helpful thanks

ReputationRep:
    Should I do a past paper or keep revising normally? Hmm

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Past paper now, then revise what you got wrong tomorrow morning before the exam!

ReputationRep:
    I would say something along the lines of how Acronyms can be used to memorise the main features of the theory. This is done by taking the first letter of each word and composing them to make a short sentence or another word to aid recall. This helps memory through association and so the student can look at all the first letters which create ECSMC and create a sentence like Elephants Carry So Many Cars.

Obviously make it sound slightly more together than that but you get the gist.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.