Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Just got a rejection

ReputationRep:
    Also a rejection, no idea what to do I've already had a gap year, feel like such a failure

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cmc97)
    Also a rejection, no idea what to do I've already had a gap year, feel like such a failure

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hey man, a lot of us are in the same boat.

Have you looked at alternatives? I feel alot better about my back up plan after talking about it and everyone here is so helpful.

You'll get there one day, don't lose hope, if you want it, you WILL get it!

ReputationRep:
    Also thank you for the replies everyone!

Being Irish in NI I qualify for EU fee status so I am basically an EU student but still get my grants and stuff so 4 years (possibly) for Biomed and then 6 years for medicine and I get grants the whole way?

ReputationRep:
    This gap war was my alternative don't know what else to do!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cmc97)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    what was your 5th choice?

(Original post by Cmc97)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I know it's the long way around, but if you haven't already you could definitely do an undergrad degree in something life science related

ReputationRep:
    Biomedical science, at the minute I really don't want to do it don't know why I just don't want to!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Penguin man)
    Also thank you for the replies everyone!

Being Irish in NI I qualify for EU fee status so I am basically an EU student but still get my grants and stuff so 4 years (possibly) for Biomed and then 6 years for medicine and I get grants the whole way?
    You should probably ring up SAAS and ask if they would give you further guidance about the grants situation, as the NI situation complicates it even more.

I'm EU (Irish, from down south), doing medicine as a second degree. I have to self-fund my fees (£1800 a year) and living expenses, and I don't have access to a maintenance loan from SAAS due to my EU status. However, I think I'm able to get support (fees paid, and maybe grant or loan although that's less likely) for the final year. I'm also applying to every bursary, grant, and charitable funding support that I can manage!

I'm quite lucky to be able to afford the £10k a year (fees+expenses), but this is through working during term time and all through the holidays, plus my mum renting out my bedroom back home, plus a bit of savings. Fingers crossed I should be able to keep my head above water and graduate debt free. I feel much worse for the English students looking at £9k a year!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by prospectivemed56)
    You should probably ring up SAAS and ask if they would give you further guidance about the grants situation, as the NI situation complicates it even more.

I'm EU (Irish, from down south), doing medicine as a second degree. I have to self-fund my fees (£1800 a year) and living expenses, and I don't have access to a maintenance loan from SAAS due to my EU status. However, I think I'm able to get support (fees paid, and maybe grant or loan although that's less likely) for the final year. I'm also applying to every bursary, grant, and charitable funding support that I can manage!

I'm quite lucky to be able to afford the £10k a year (fees+expenses), but this is through working during term time and all through the holidays, plus my mum renting out my bedroom back home, plus a bit of savings. Fingers crossed I should be able to keep my head above water and graduate debt free. I feel much worse for the English students looking at £9k a year!
    See I still get NI student finance do I not? I have papers ready to submit to them about my grants so I believe they deal with it all, but you're right I'll ring around next week Thanks anyway!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cmc97)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hey!

If it helps with any decisions you're making, one of my friends got 4 rejections after a gap year, then decided to take another and got 4 offers! It's really not the end of the road for you at all.

ReputationRep:
    How many people are still waiting for an answer from Dundee? :c

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GretaPat)
    How many people are still waiting for an answer from Dundee? :c
    I'm still waiting, been checking every day!

ReputationRep:
    Me too!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    me three

ReputationRep:
    I got rejected yesterday, however they gave me an unconditional for the Pre-Medical year and I'm not sure about that as that's basically like re-doing Sixth Year

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fazugfx)
    I got rejected yesterday, however they gave me an unconditional for the Pre-Medical year and I'm not sure about that as that's basically like re-doing Sixth Year
    What's the deal with that? I heard if you do that then you get a guaranteed interview for Dundee med for 2017 entry? Is that true?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bigs1998)
    What's the deal with that? I heard if you do that then you get a guaranteed interview for Dundee med for 2017 entry? Is that true?
    You are guaranteed an interview, so it removes the hassle of having to re-do the UKCAT and re-apply. You just spend more time practicing your interview skills throughout the year instead.

However, it is basically a joint Advanced Higher Biology and Chemistry course and I am currently doing both so I'm not sure if I'm on board yet :/
    (They usually give this offer to people from schools where you can't do either of those subjects at Advanced Higher level yet I got one for some reason)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fazugfx)
    You are guaranteed an interview, so it removes the hassle of having to re-do the UKCAT and re-apply. You just spend more time practicing your interview skills throughout the year instead.

However, it is basically a joint Advanced Higher Biology and Chemistry course and I am currently doing both so I'm not sure if I'm on board yet :/
    (They usually give this offer to people from schools where you can't do either of those subjects at Advanced Higher level yet I got one for some reason)
    Did you get an offer for Widening Access Premed or did it just say Premed? For Widening access one, you have to do interview and get minimum B3 grade however for the latter one you only have to get a satisfactory grade to move onto medicine. It'd be good to do both adv highers again because they'll have additional stuff plus you also get taught physics and you get some classes at medical school to prepare for medicine. And the premed year, you can basically settle down properly and adjust to uni life since you'll know a lot of stuff already.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by redddddd)
    Did you get an offer for Widening Access Premed or did it just say Premed? For Widening access one, you have to do interview and get minimum B3 grade however for the latter one you only have to get a satisfactory grade to move onto medicine. It'd be good to do both adv highers again because they'll have additional stuff plus you also get taught physics and you get some classes at medical school to prepare for medicine. And the premed year, you can basically settle down properly and adjust to uni life since you'll know a lot of stuff already.
    I think it's Widening Access Pre-Medical Year. I guess that's true, I'm still waiting to hear back from one more Uni so I'll keep it on hold for now.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 25, 2016
Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.