Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lime-man)
    Do you not think that culture has a part to play in ethics?
    No.

(Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Except I've just double checked definitions with the OED, CED, Merriam Webster, and Dictionary.com and all make it to be cultural.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I've just checked this and none of them list it as a necessary component of a nation.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by TheDefiniteArticle)
    No.

I've just checked this and none of them list it as a necessary component of a nation.
    None have listed what as a necessary component of being a nation?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    None have listed what as a necessary component of being a nation?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Culture.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Culture.
    None of them, not even this one:

a large body of people united by common descent, history, culture, or language, inhabiting a particular state or territory.
    Oxford

a ​largegroup of ​people of the same ​race who ​share the same ​language, ​traditions, and ​history, but who might not all ​live in one ​area:
    Arguably includes culture indirectly, Cambridge

It's also one of the most contentious words when it comes to defining.

ReputationRep:
    None of them, not even this one:

a large body of people united by common descent, history, culture, or language, inhabiting a particular state or territory.
    Oxford

a ​largegroup of ​people of the same ​race who ​share the same ​language, ​traditions, and ​history, but who might not all ​live in one ​area:
    Arguably includes culture indirectly, Cambridge

It's also one of the most contentious words when it comes to defining.
    In the former, culture is listed only as an alternative, not a necessary component.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    In the former, culture is listed only as an alternative, not a necessary component.
    If you want to define it by only one of them then how many nations am I a part of? 100? 1000? 10000?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Given tonight's changes, is the new SoS going to work with the chancellor to correct the error of both their predecessors, or are they being told by labour that they shall continue the position of "law shmaw?"

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Given tonight's changes, is the new SoS going to work with the chancellor to correct the error of both their predecessors, or are they being told by labour that they shall continue the position of "law shmaw?"

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I came up with the idea of diverting funds away from fossil fuels abroad, however the original proposal of mine was to keep them in the DFID and use them on renewables abroad. I had nothing to do with them being diverted to the NHS.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I came up with the idea of diverting funds away from fossil fuels abroad, however the original proposal of mine was to keep them in the DFID and use them on renewables abroad. I had nothing to do with them being diverted to the NHS.
    Oh, so the Chancellor's opinions are ignored in the government? And you are the one who underfunded DFID, putting forwards an "illegal" budget

ReputationRep:
    Oh, so the Chancellor's opinions are ignored in the government? And you are the one who underfunded DFID, putting forwards an "illegal" budget
    this was done after I left, I didn't know that foreign spending had to be certain level, and it can't have been illegal as it wasn't a binding document.

ReputationRep:
    Is it considered to take effect if the Government doesn't do something else to enact it?

Also, 'illegal' is a really, really bad word to use in most contexts unless you're really confident in using it.

ReputationRep:
    Is it considered to take effect if the Government doesn't do something else to enact it?

Also, 'illegal' is a really, really bad word to use in most contexts unless you're really confident in using it.
    No, it requires a finance bill and Statements from all dep[artments included in it. It's literally just a report to show the government's spending plans.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    No, it requires a finance bill and Statements from all dep[artments included in it. It's literally just a report to show the government's spending plans.
    Except it doesn't here, but in that case I guess we should have added to the MoNC "destruction of public services"

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Given the term is rapidly drawing to a close, is there any chance at all that we will see any items from PetrosAC as Home Secretary, thehistorybore for Justice, DanE1998 for Constitutional Reform/Devolution, cranbrook_aspie for BIS, junaidk7 for Education, LovepreetDhillon for Transport, or 'equality', or even ivybridge from the DWP. How about something from DanE1998 and/or United1892 to deal with the blunders of the government and deal with the Foreign Aid budget?

ReputationRep:
    Given the term is rapidly drawing to a close, is there any chance at all that we will see any items from PetrosAC as Home Secretary, thehistorybore for Justice, DanE1998 for Constitutional Reform/Devolution, cranbrook_aspie for BIS, junaidk7 for Education, LovepreetDhillon for Transport, or 'equality', or even ivybridge from the DWP. How about something from DanE1998 and/or United1892 to deal with the blunders of the government and deal with the Foreign Aid budget?
    The term isn't over yet.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by cranbrook_aspie)
    The term isn't over yet.
    8 departments to cover in a week or so is it? You barely have enough days for it, and that's before we consider that it's quite likely not a word will have been written yet for most of them.

ReputationRep:
    All of these could literally just copy and paste from the budget, add a little something else and release a statement of intent.

I'd like to see the Home secretary announce the government's house building plans and United legislate on the proposed income tax changes.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    I'd like to see the Home secretary announce the government's house building plans and United legislate on the proposed income tax changes.
    Both of these are very much in the pipeline.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Saracen's Fez)
    Also might want to update the OP

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saracen's Fez)
    The housing plans have been in the pipeline since day one of entering government.

Would the Prime minister assure me now that if I get something written up which adequatly enacts the governments housing plans that he'd second such a motion? Because, if so, then I'd have something written by tomorrow night.

Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.