Turn on thread page Beta

The Cricket Society IV watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mackay)
    They said he was fit a few days ago. I guess they don't want to throw him in too early and risk aggravating the injury?
    Yeah, must be that. Hopefully he plays the next game.

ReputationRep:
    Watched a couple of "Crickets greatest" yesterday, namely, Kallis and Donald. Brought up a few questions that I think are always an interesting debate.

Is Kallis the greatest cricketer of all time?

Should batsman walk if they're given not out incorrectly (with reference to Athers v Donald)?

ReputationRep:
    Just looked at the T20 World Cup fixtures, and it seems there is only one opportunity for real embarrassment for England, and that is probably against Zimbabwe.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by The Wavefunction)
    Watched a couple of "Crickets greatest" yesterday, namely, Kallis and Donald. Brought up a few questions that I think are always an interesting debate.

Should batsman walk if they're given not out incorrectly (with reference to Athers v Donald)?
    Kallis is certainly the most complete cricketer I've ever seen.

As for the latter question, I don't think they should. They should stand their ground. The onus is on the officials - NOT the players. You wouldn't get such brazen honesty in any other sport, and I don't see why cricket is seen as different and places such an emphasis on it.

Sport's about winning, at the end of the day.

ReputationRep:
    Kallis is certainly the most complete cricketer I've ever seen.

As for the latter question, I don't think they should. They should stand their ground. The onus is on the officials - NOT the players. You wouldn't get such brazen honesty in any other sport, and I don't see why cricket is seen as different and places such an emphasis on it.

Sport's about winning, at the end of the day.
    Seems like such an awesome bloke, as well, does Kallis. Always put side before self.

Spirit of the game and all that, though? I think if it's an obvious knick then you should walk. Less so obvious I think you have the right to stay, but if you're practically middling it then you should go

ReputationRep:

He's the greatest test cricketer of all time. He averages 57 with the bat, and 32 with the ball.

Just incredible, really.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by oceansiz3)
    He's the greatest test cricketer of all time. He averages 57 with the bat, and 32 with the ball.

Just incredible, really.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Incredible stats.

ALSO, Kallis is one of four all-rounders to score a century and take a five-for in a Test more than once.

ReputationRep:
    Incredible stats.

ALSO, Kallis is one of four all-rounders to score a century and take a five-for in a Test more than once.
    Botham, Sobers and someone else I'm guessing?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Botham, Sobers and someone else I'm guessing?
    Mushtaq Mohammad.

ReputationRep:
    Kallis gets overlooked but he's the best all-rounder of his generation with his numbers and performances. When you are composing a side, a player of his quality has to be in there.

ReputationRep:

well he wasnt a better batsmen than tendulkar, a better bowler than marshal or warne or better allrounder than sobers - but he would be close to all of them

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Enginerd.)
    IMO, Wahab and Amir could be Pakistans spearhead attack for the coming years. Amir, having been one of the best if not the best bowler in the Asia Cup obviously needs to bowl well to lose the 'cheater' tag and I think he's coping well.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Amir took a spanking from SL tho, he is entirely reliant on swinging conditions

ReputationRep:
    warner & maxwell going at it , planted steyn in the crowd- 207 seems not enough

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chakede)
    Amir took a spanking from SL tho, he is entirely reliant on swinging conditions
    He's only just returned from his ban, give him a while. Plus, he was probably the best seamer in the tournament. He proved himself against India, critics had to applaud him for his bowling.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    He's only just returned from his ban, give him a while. Plus, he was probably the best seamer in the tournament. He proved himself against India, critics had to applaud him for his bowling.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Agreed. Every bowler is allowed one or two off days. He will be vital in the WT20.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Australia draw level with SA in the three-match T20 series, winning off the final ball.

I actually thought SA had enough on the board (200+) to seal the series, but it was a a brilliant partnership of 161 between David Warner (77 off 40 balls) and Glenn Maxwell (75 off 43).

No idea why Australia are experimenting with Warner at four. He simply doesn't suit batting that far down the order, in truth.

SA got off to a great start in dismissing Australia for 28-2. That Rabada catch to get rid of Smith was exceptional, and with Finch/Watson failing to make double digits, I thought the writing was on the wall.

Great recovery from Australia, though.

SA will rue Rabada's bowling in that final over, and their lack of good quality fielding. There were fumbles galore. Rabada bowled two wides with Australia needing 11 from 5. Warner and Maxwell got out eventually, but fair play to Marsh and Faulkner for getting them over the line.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Dhoni is the man loool

ReputationRep:
    Can't believe I was watching a debate on a Pakistani news channel where Mohammed Yousuf was advocating the return of Salman Butt into the Pakistan T20 squad - WTF.. Seems to be Pakistan's selection committee is in disarray with words and counter-words said between Afridi and whoever but just re-emphasizes my view that Pakistan will be hopeless in the World T20.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aky786UK)
    Can't believe I was watching a debate on a Pakistani news channel where Mohammed Yousuf was advocating the return of Salman Butt into the Pakistan T20 squad - WTF.. Seems to be Pakistan's selection committee is in disarray with words and counter-words said between Afridi and whoever but just re-emphasizes my view that Pakistan will be hopeless in the World T20.
    Lol, they can't be serious? How did he justify his decision? I'm hopeful they'll get to the Quarters but not beyond.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Lol, they can't be serious? How did he justify his decision? I'm hopeful they'll get to the Quarters but not beyond.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It seems the selectors are considering it but Afridi is against it. I imagine Butt has friends in high places to even be mentioned in the selection stakes.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.