Turn on thread page Beta

HMRC Tax Professional and Operational Delivery Higher Officer Caseworker watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gavin_1980)
    I would certainly hope they are not thinking about doing this as current civil servants, because that is definitely going to be frowned upon

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Pretty sure it would be a breach of employment conditions. Same as offering tax advice in my eyes. *

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by phenominal.will)
    Thanks for the feedback Mega,

The value to the customers will be hands on support from four individuals who have all scored highly in competencies and have secured senior roles within the civil service.

Whilst the company wouldn't guarantee anyone a job, it allows them access to strengthen their competencies by getting one to one support from individuals who have been through the process, have been involved in interviewing prospects and have done sifts on applications too.
    Interviewing in the civil service is very subjective; you can score a range of marks for the same example across different panels.

I've been a panel member for over 12 years. I give advice freely and will give mock interviews, but I remind applicants that this is just my opinion and how I would score them. I can't see how this could possibly be a business opportunity.

I doubt that there is any significant demand for such a service. If you can't explain what you did in a given situation, there isn't much hope for you.

ReputationRep:
    Additionally, I've seen people coached to get through interviews who then end up getting done on Capability because they can't do the job. When they're demoted or dismissed this is difficult on both the individual and the manager who has to take them through Capability.

The more I think on this, the more unpalatable I find it.

ReputationRep:
    Wondering if anyone can help with the pension choices forms - one form is to be sent to an address in Derby and it says if you've completed the form for your partner to receive your pension that you've to attach it and send it as well.*

But the partner form has an address in Liverpool on it which it says it has to be returned to. So are they both going to the Derby address or two separate ones?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hellojo)
    Wondering if anyone can help with the pension choices forms - one form is to be sent to an address in Derby and it says if you've completed the form for your partner to receive your pension that you've to attach it and send it as well.*

But the partner form has an address in Liverpool on it which it says it has to be returned to. So are they both going to the Derby address or two separate ones?!
    I sent both forms a few days ago to the Liverpool address which they have received, as I have today received an email from them asking for additional details re transfer of existing pension. I suspect it should be fine to send both forms there but I will email them back tomorrow and let you know the response.

ReputationRep:
    Right, hello everyone first of all!!
    So I just received an email with a provisional offer as an officer in London. At the moment my status is set at performing background checks and that I will have news as soon as they have some for me.

I've been reading through the thread for the last hour and some people had to wait for 4 months? Is that typical? Am I looking at 2017 or is it my idea?

I have informed my current employer about the offer and they understand its an offer I could not refuse. They just very understandably asked for a time-frame so they could look for a replacement.

Anyone that could shed some light on, I would be grateful.

ReputationRep:
    Hi Zaragof,

What campaign did you apply on and when was your interview?

ReputationRep:
    I accepted a formal offer last week. My start date is 5th September. My manager hasnt yet received an email informing her of my offer. I work for DWP. I have a start date , time and contact name. Do you receive any other correspondence? Do i just turn up on that date . on leave now and no reply to emails

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pa16)
    I accepted a formal offer last week. My start date is 5th September. My manager hasnt yet received an email informing her of my offer. I work for DWP. I have a start date , time and contact name. Do you receive any other correspondence? Do i just turn up on that date . on leave now and no reply to emails
    I had my formal offer several weeks ago, I also start on 5th September. I had no further contact, other than to give me details on when and where to attend.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hayho)
    I had my formal offer several weeks ago, I also start on 5th September. I had no further contact, other than to give me details on when and where to attend.
    Thanks I will just turn up then lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pa16)
    My line manager didn't get anything either (Home Office). I've had some correspondence back and forth as I'm going on level transfer and currently on unmodernised terms, so need to understand my T&Cs. I've got my leave and sickness entitlement sorted, just waiting on confirmation re: continuity of employment for redundancy situations.

I also needed to sort my PCS subscription as we are still on check-off but HMRC are on DD.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by phenominal.will)
    Hi Everyone,

Quick question, four of my friends who have all had experience in HMRC at Higher Executive Officer grades or higher are looking to set up a company to help applicants with their applications to civil service jobs. For example, reviewing individual competencies, providing guidance on how to hit the higher marks and interview preparation and support.

I Just wanted to know what people would want out of a service like that and would you use it?
    I paid £25 for a half day workshop on "interview techniques" before my interview last September and it's probably the best interview I've ever given. The workshop guy obviously had no idea of the interview questions or even experience within the civil service (so I definitely wasn't coached for the job) but i guess it was good for me to articulate my competency examples with a stranger. I was put on the reserve list (with a score of 6/6/7) and have just been offered an O position. Incidently, I recently had another interview for the same job and don't feel I expressed myself nearly as well this time round.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sljca)
    I think it's more on the job. I haven't had full details yet.

How is the job going? I finished my last day of current job yesterday, so looking forward to starting on 5 September...

ReputationRep:
    Still very happy!!!! My official training doesn't start til September but I've plenty to keep me busy!!

ReputationRep:
    How much time is spent behind a computer?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sljca)
    Still very happy!!!! My official training doesn't start til September but I've plenty to keep me busy!!
    Great. I'd heard that a lot of the training was moving to a training provider, and wasn't all in-house now?

ReputationRep:
    Guys I'm really worried.

I have an interview next week for a professional case worker position. And I'm required to bring GCSE certificates as evidence of meeting the 5 GCSE's criteria.

However, I can't find my certificates!

The thing is, I wasn't worried too much about finding my GCSE certificates because on the job application it states that-

"Please note that original evidence from examination boards will need to be produced when attending interview or the original confirmation document that states you have applied for the certificates."

Because it asked for the certificates or the original documentation stating that you've applied for the certificates, I wasn't worried. I thought that I'd wait until I am invited to interview, before ordering my GCSE certificates, considering they are quite pricey. I thought that would't be a problem because I could just then provide the confirmation document stating I've applied for them.

However when I received an invite for an interview, I received the interview information pack, which says something different-

"You can request copies of your qualifications from the relevant organisations. You should make every effort to obtain these before your interview. However, if you have made requests and are awaiting the copies you may be given a further 48 hours following the interview in which to provide your certificates. Failure to do so may result in your application being withdrawn."

That differs to what was provided on the job application, and if I'd have known that I would have ordered my certificates as soon as I applied for the job! Considering it takes 4-6 weeks to receive my certificates, they are never going to come in time. What do I do?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by King86)
    so 3 months after receiving my provisional offer my pre employment checks have finalllyyyyyyyyyyyyyy passed! Awaiting start date now!
    Anyone in Nottingham?
    Sorry, i know it was a while ago. Im in nottingham too. Been waiting 6 weeks since my provisional offer so far, wondered if you had any other correspondence in your 3 months. Ive seen things about a health questionaire/dbs things. Just wondered if you could tell me what to expect.

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sljca)
    Have they told you how the training is structured yet? I just want to understand if Annual Leave has to be booked at specific times around training/tutorials etc.

They're going to think I'm a right one, wanting to book leave as soon as I get there

I leave my current job on Thursday; scared now, it all feels too fast and too vague!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pmyef1)
    Sorry, i know it was a while ago. Im in nottingham too. Been waiting 6 weeks since my provisional offer so far, wondered if you had any other correspondence in your 3 months. Ive seen things about a health questionaire/dbs things. Just wondered if you could tell me what to expect.

Thanks!

Hi, i received no correspondence at all. I chased them a lot and all i ever got was "we'll contact you when your application progresses".

My pre employment checks passed 2 weeks ago, i'm not expecting to hear anything for atleast another 2 weeks

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Featured recruiter profiles:

HM Treasury logo

Policy adviser grad scheme

"Shape the UK’s future and your skills."

Quick link:

Unanswered public sector threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.