Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mollyadtr)
    25 minutes funnily enough 😅it's a mark a minute literally

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah I know haha. I mean how are you going to break it down?
    Like, 2 mins intro, 3mins first point etc...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stabilobossgreen)
    Let me not lie - please try your best in AS politics exams because A2 politics is HELL. I do US gov and pol at my school and the content is 6x the amount you have to learn for AS - and you HAVE to revise all topics, not like AS where you can pick two. All I'm saying is try your hardest to get the best grade possible and don't have the mindset of 'its fine I can retake' - do not increase your workload!!!!

Trust me AS is 50% of the final grade and a million times easier than A2 - give yourself something to fall back on!!!
    we cant retake anymore

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AllanSmith22)
    no. actually its not an established term like Tyranny of majority so you could just say exceeding power. Tyranny Majority can be used in every topic
    Oh sweet cheers for telling me

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    we cant retake anymore
    oh yeah thats just peak - okay even more reason to try harder

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stabilobossgreen)
    oh yeah thats just peak - okay even more reason to try harder
    Even if you would retake next year is even more work and you'd probably not be doc using so much on the as if there's so much to do at a2

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Would someone mind telling me the distinction between tyranny of the majority and tyranny of the minority please?
    And what systems would refer to them or if they just refer to pressure groups and my electoral system

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Picture a new law which 2/3rds of a group need to approve of. If anything over 2/3rds of the people vote in favour, the law is passed, and vice versa. If the law is passed by more than 2/3rds, these people are considered to have 'majoritarian' powers. If the law is rejected, the 1/3+ minority who rejected it are said to have 'minoritarian' powers.

Tyranny of the majority is when a majority use their majoritarian powers to oppress a minority, such as a race or class (unintentionally or otherwise). The majority of voters don't care about the minorities, so the minorities are underrepresented. This is a problem with direct democracy, as well as, possibly, extremist political parties, and a good factor if you need to argue about if direct democracy is good or not.

Tyranny of the minority is the opposite. The minority, usually a disproportionately powerful group, oppress most other people. Don't think it will come up in the exam at all though? The HoL used to be able to veto, but they can only amend and delay now, so idk.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XiuXiu)
    Picture a new law which 2/3rds of a group need to approve of. If the law is passed by more than 2/3rds, these people are considered to have 'majoritarian' powers. If the law is rejected, the 1/3+ minority who rejected it are said to have 'minoritarian' powers.

Tyranny of the majority is when a majority use their majoritarian powers to oppress a minority, such as a race or class (unintentionally or otherwise). The majority of voters don't care about the minorities, so the minorities are underrepresented. This is a problem with direct democracy, as well as, possibly, extremist political parties, and a good factor if you need to argue about if direct democracy is good or not.

Tyranny of the minority is the opposite. The minority, usually a disproportionately powerful group, oppress most other people. Don't think it will come up in the exam at all though? The HoL used to be able to veto, but they can only amend and delay now, so idk.
    That was a sick explanation cheers man, it probably won't but I wondered what one it was for referendums and you answered my question so thank you 😁

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Help! I need to know "explain how citizens in the Uk are represented" 😭 Not sure how to go about it

ReputationRep:
    wowza! thank you!

ReputationRep:
    Anybody else retaking and not done anything in terms of revision all year here? Don't think it'll be too bad but idk

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jesuishani)
    Help! I need to know
    Know what?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Tryanny of the minority can exist, in the USA initiatives might need like 20% of people to kick out their representative. This is tyranny of the minority.

ReputationRep:
    How do i structure my introduction/ conclusion for a 25 marker ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brown_unicorn)
    How do i structure my introduction/ conclusion for a 25 marker ?
    Intro:
    Define the key word in the questions and then locate the debate because there's usually two sides to it.. Ah something like some commentators suggest this... And others suggest this....

Conclusion:
    Sum up your best points and maybe decide what you think but just don't say 'I think this' say 'overall' or 'to conclude' just to round it all up ☺️

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Know what?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    How people in the UK are represented

ReputationRep:
    http://www.parliament.uk/documents/e...y-resource.pdf

useful

ReputationRep:
    If there is to what extent is there a participation crisis is the 25 marker...what points do you make?

Political party membership fallings
    Election turnout falling since '97
    I can't think of a third

Pressure groups have eclipsed parties
    Corbyn becoming in charge meant 200k new members joined
    Elections have been going up recently - 2015 was highest since 97

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pato1)
    Tryanny of the minority can exist, in the USA initiatives might need like 20% of people to kick out their representative. This is tyranny of the minority.
    Much more common in the US, sure. But does referencing the US get you anywhere in this exam? In A2, you have to draw comparisons to the UK, but idk if US examples are relevant and would get marks in the AS exam if that makes sense.

ReputationRep:
    HERE ARE ALL THE 25 MARKERS IVE SEEN PREDICTED

ELECTIONS
    - IMPACT OF PR
    Do you reckon the impact of pr is practically like asking about the outcomes of the systems just without mentioning the majoritarian systems?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Do you reckon the impact of pr is practically like asking about the outcomes of the systems just without mentioning the majoritarian systems?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    To an extent. You would talk about it in general then give a system as an example whereas outcomes would be the system outcomes as the point not the example

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.