Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    So much focus that most failed.
    That is essentially my point, though if we had decided that our Cabinet positions would be essentially courtesy titles by design, and we would just produce bills, but a lot more of them, would you have shut up and stopped moaning? Doubt it.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Saracen's Fez)
    That is essentially my point, though if we had decided that our Cabinet positions would be essentially courtesy titles by design, and we would just produce bills, but a lot more of them, would you have shut up and stopped moaning? Doubt it.
    I think it would be quite nice if the Cabinet positions actually meant something.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Quamquam123)
    I think it would be quite nice if the Cabinet positions actually meant something.
    Yes, but they shouldn't become straitjackets and put people off writing bills in areas outside their portfolio or discourage MPs who aren't in the Cabinet from producing material.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Yes, but they shouldn't become straitjackets and put people off writing bills in areas outside their portfolio or discourage MPs who aren't in the Cabinet from producing material.
    I understand what you are saying but perhaps if we only gave cabinet positions to those who are quite active, we would still be able to get lots of bills out but at the same time maintain cabinet positions. The positives of having cabinet positions is that people can create bills based on their department but also on other subjects if they want.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by Quamquam123)
    I understand what you are saying but perhaps if we only gave cabinet positions to those who are quite active, we would still be able to get lots of bills out but at the same time maintain cabinet positions. The positives of having cabinet positions is that people can create bills based on their department but also on other subjects if they want.
    So it's confirmed that the government hasn't just been giving cabinet positions to those who are active and are instead handing out positions at a whim :holmes: (well, we know that's the case with the chancellorship but still... )
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by The Financier)
    So it's confirmed that the government hasn't just been giving cabinet positions to those who are active and are instead handing out positions at a whim :holmes: (well, we know that's the case with the chancellorship but still... )
    I'm not necessarily saying that there several inactive cabinet members but I am just saying that we shouldn't let bills get in the way of cabinet positions and vica verca.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by The Financier)
    Well, Cabinet positions have been given to members who were active at the time – some of whom became inactive later.

It is also harder in a coalition to merge positions etc. because of the need to decide on a system to split positions.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by TheDefiniteArticle)
    this is easily less than £100 unless you're going to super-premium places and I don't think JD is that discerning.
    The first half of the route is traditional and the second half tends to always be the same, and there are all the other people who are only doing the 14 pints who are somewhat strapped for cash that pretty much determine in, and there is no point going for expensive wine when it's at the end and it's drinking for the sake of drinking rather than enjoyment.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Was forced to attend a talk from some charity today.
    Got my own back when they asked what the causes of poverty were. I put my hand up and said capitalism.

Got a few pissy looks so I turned round and said "Ye should really just expect that from me now."

Worth it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DMcGovern)
    Was forced to attend a talk from some charity today.
    Got my own back when they asked what the causes of poverty were. I put my hand up and said capitalism.

Got a few pissy looks so I turned round and said "Ye should really just expect that from me now."

Worth it
    And then the people stood up and started clapping…
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Leanne Wood is anti-nuclear power. :confused:
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Leanne Wood is anti-nuclear power. :confused:
    Well, that nuclear power plants probably means killing some daffodils.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Well, that nuclear power plants probably means killing some daffodils.
    Honestly, I've just caught up with her Ask the Leader programme and she is just as hopeless as I thought.

She also thinks she is going to win a majority. :rofl:
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Honestly, I've just caught up with her Ask the Leader programme and she is just as hopeless as I thought.

She also thinks she is going to win a majority. :rofl:
    Well, so did you guys in the last election, or at least a plurality...

The Greens, TUSC, UKIP, Liberals, and pretty much every other minor party think they can actually get seats.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Well, so did you guys in the last election, or at least a plurality...

The Greens, TUSC, UKIP, Liberals, and pretty much every other minor party think they can actually get seats.
    There are no opinion polls showing Plaid coming anywhere higher than a distant second, and most expect them to come third. That is a very different situation, and to say you have no plans for coalition or for a Labour government in absurd.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    There are no opinion polls showing Plaid coming anywhere higher than a distant second, and most expect them to come third. That is a very different situation, and to say you have no plans for coalition or for a Labour government in absurd.
    I was meaning the RL election
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    I was meaning the RL election
    Yeah, that's what I'm talking about. In this case the Assembly one in May.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Yeah, that's what I'm talking about. In this case the Assembly one in May.
    Scotland meant that a Labour plurality was improbable, and if not addicted to polls even more so.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Scotland meant that a Labour plurality was improbable, and if not addicted to polls even more so.
    You still didn't have most people suggesting Labour would come third though.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Labour's most senior politician in power gives Corbyn some advice on how to win.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 15, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.