The Student Room Group

Summer 2017 Applications

Scroll to see replies

Original post by L_ane
Does anybody know will final year under grad students applying for SI with Credit Suisse be considered? Just wondering where CS stand on this as some banks are ok with it even though they state penultimate students only.

CS are strict, if you are final year you have to go for FT (it does not even let you register for a summer position if you are in final year)
Original post by L_ane
Does anybody know will final year under grad students applying for SI with Credit Suisse be considered? Just wondering where CS stand on this as some banks are ok with it even though they state penultimate students only.

has to be off cycle or full time

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by d_cj
Hi everyone, I'm finishing my masters in 2017 and just finished a placement year in a big french bank in Paris (in IB though in in M&A but in Financing). I believe I have enough experience to go for graduate/FT programs (IBD in London), but I spoke with some analysts/associates in BBs and they all told me that 99.9% of FT hires are coming from summer programs. I can extend my masters till 2018, so it's not a problem to put in CV that i'm a penultimate year student, but I don't want to graduate that late (my MSc will take me 4 years then!).

Do you think it's a good idea to go straight for FT despite having 0.01% chance (or maybe you know some BB that are actually hiring from the street), or still better go for summer and then count on early placement?

Thanks!

My verdict, 5 years down the line you are gonna be in a different bank and different team/divisions so I personally do not see the point of doing that many years of extra education and summer internships just to land that role that you want in BB... So I am going mainly straight for FT and a few summer applications to play it safe (up to you)
Original post by L_ane

I talked to an HR analyst of theirs and she told me that you can apply for a SI only if you are defo going to do master the year after. If you are not going to do a master then you can apply for an autumn internship starting in September for 10 weeks.
Original post by JimbobJam
Bad luck man. Do you think there was a screening beforehand or did it come through straight away?

The screening is beforehand. If you pass the SJT , the Verbal is sent.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 825
Hi everyone!

Do you know if we can delete an application after fail the test in order to create another account to do the test again?
Thks guys
Original post by lubi
Hi everyone!

Do you know if we can delete an application after fail the test in order to create another account to do the test again?
Thks guys

No - some banks computer systems can detect the same candidate reapplying under a different user/address.
Original post by lubi
Hi everyone!

Thks guys

really wouldn't recommend that if I'm being honest, it can land you in serious hot water if caught.*
I know a friend that did it for Credit Suisse and got banned completely from any further applications ever so yeah just try another company and practice the tests as much as poss ! :smile:*
Original post by d_cj
Hi everyone, I'm finishing my masters in 2017 and just finished a placement year in a big french bank in Paris (in IB though in in M&A but in Financing). I believe I have enough experience to go for graduate/FT programs (IBD in London), but I spoke with some analysts/associates in BBs and they all told me that 99.9% of FT hires are coming from summer programs. I can extend my masters till 2018, so it's not a problem to put in CV that i'm a penultimate year student, but I don't want to graduate that late (my MSc will take me 4 years then!).

Do you think it's a good idea to go straight for FT despite having 0.01% chance (or maybe you know some BB that are actually hiring from the street), or still better go for summer and then count on early placement?

Thanks!

Are you from french grande ecole?
Reply 829
Original post by TheParham
My verdict, 5 years down the line you are gonna be in a different bank and different team/divisions so I personally do not see the point of doing that many years of extra education and summer internships just to land that role that you want in BB... So I am going mainly straight for FT and a few summer applications to play it safe (up to you)

Thanks for advice. Can you think of any BBs that definitely hire FT from the street?
JWScandic and I are looking for the HR UK email address. Would you mind send me the email of this Analyst that I could contact regarding an issue? Thks
Reply 831
Original post by torres657
Are you from french grande ecole?

Yes
Original post by Oschene23
The screening is beforehand. If you pass the SJT , the Verbal is sent.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do you get the verbal right away if you've passed or do you have to wait some time?
Original post by d_cj
Yes

You can easily diversify then. Apply for FT in banks which usually hire graduates with previous experience, and apply for SA in banks with less probability of hiring graduates. If you land in only SA in the process, you can see later to defer or not.
Original post by hedgie123
Do you get the verbal right away if you've passed or do you have to wait some time?

If you passed the SJT they will usually come back to you within 2-3 days and will send you a Verbal test. Hope that helps
Original post by d_cj
Thanks for advice. Can you think of any BBs that definitely hire FT from the street?

If they are advertising for the position then they will be hiring. e.g. UBS is not advertising for AM FT but they are advertising IBD FT so it means they have filled their AM with interns but have spaces in IBD to recruit.. There are usually more IBD spaces available to non-interns so you are in luck there
Original post by daksosodak
If you passed the SJT they will usually come back to you within 2-3 days and will send you a Verbal test. Hope that helps

Thanks, just completed mine yesterday. I have no idea what they look for exactly in the SJT (obviously fit), but to be honest.. answering the "Least Likely" is much more straightforward than the "Most Likely", so I guess any rejection at this level shouldn't be something to fret over too much - it just wasn't meant to be..
Original post by hedgie123

There's a wait, however if you pass that the Numerical is instant.
Reply 838
Original post by torres657
You can easily diversify then. Apply for FT in banks which usually hire graduates with previous experience, and apply for SA in banks with less probability of hiring graduates. If you land in only SA in the process, you can see later to defer or not.

That's what I was thinking, but where can I find if bank actually hires and not just put in the brochure / website just to have it?

Original post by TheParham
If they are advertising for the position then they will be hiring. e.g. UBS is not advertising for AM FT but they are advertising IBD FT so it means they have filled their AM with interns but have spaces in IBD to recruit.. There are usually more IBD spaces available to non-interns so you are in luck there

Advertising you mean opening position on website?
Original post by Oschene23
There's a wait, however if you pass that the Numerical is instant.

how long does it take to receive the SJT after submitting app?

Quick Reply