Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

AQA Biology AS New Spec - 26th May and 7th June Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by demilokiki)
    glucose isn't for respiration it is produced as a result of respiration and glucose is needed for photosynthesis along with co2 so ur not wrong #urnotfailing!
    What question is that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CrazyFool229)
    Hi there,

Are you doing A2 then or GCSE?

Normally I just memorise the revision guide which doesn't take too long especially if you have been revisiting the material throughout the year. 16 hours should be plenty for GCSE/AS. Not sure about A2 though but if you are doing A2 then IIRC your paper is split into modules right? In which case it will be even easier
    Thanks dude! Silly me it's AS. By memorising, is it just repeating it over till it sticks?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AlphaWolfZ)
    Thanks dude! Silly me it's AS. By memorising, is it just repeating it over till it sticks?
    Yeah, I just tend to constantly rewrite the revision guide til it sticks and then before I go to bed I pick up the spec, and use it as questions and write down everything I know in bullet points. Works well especially for the parts of the spec which are methodic such as cell fractionation, translation, cell div etc etc.

ReputationRep:
    does anyone here have access to both of the papers that we are talking about and the mark scheme?

ReputationRep:
    what do you guys think the grade boundaries will be for a D, C, B and A for both papers?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dragonblazer11)
    what do you guys think the grade boundaries will be for a d, c, b and a for both papers?
    d= 65
    c= 81
    b= 96
    a= 104

ReputationRep:
    who here thinks they might have got an A or a B

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Coleworld1)
    does anyone here have access to both of the papers that we are talking about and the mark scheme?
    If you manage to get them, please inbox me them. Cheers

ReputationRep:
    doing paper 2 as an internal exam this week, can someone give me major topic list of what popped up, thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Namita Gurung)
    We did a mock in school a few weeks ago, which was one of the specimen papers that aren't disclosed to the students so I can't find the answers anywhere.

Just realised I didn't mark one of the questions properly. Please help

Q) In a eukaryotic cell, transcription results in a molecule of pre-mRNA that is modified to produce mRNA. In a prokaryotic cell transcription produces mRNA directly. Explain this difference.

I know that it's to do with the complexity of eukaryotic cells but don't know exactly what the answer should have.
    Any help greatly appreciated!

What kind of topics came up in that paper?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonxx)
    What kind of topics came up in that paper?
    Mitosis was on there
    Cardiac cycle calculations
    Hydrolysis for the removal of lactose in milk

There was a lot of the stuff that didn't come up in the actual exam.

ReputationRep:
    Mitosis was on there
    Cardiac cycle calculations
    Hydrolysis for the removal of lactose in milk

There was a lot of the stuff that didn't come up in the actual exam.
    Was this paper 2? And was it an ok paper overall? I

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonxx)
    Was this paper 2? And was it an ok paper overall? I
    It was hard but not impossible if you're revised.

Why? Do you have the test soon?

ReputationRep:
    It was hard but not impossible if you're revised.

Why? Do you have the test soon?
    Oh ok, and yeah next week

ReputationRep:
    CrazyFool229 Umm is the level of depth in these definitions enough or should I look elsewhere. Have my Mock in a few days time and I really don't want to mess things up...

https://a9c4db5728f476f10dab258f0623...%20A-Level.pdf

ReputationRep:
    CrazyFool229 Umm is the level of depth in these definitions enough or should I look elsewhere. Have my Mock in a few days time and I really don't want to mess things up...

hey is that for As because if so seems like stuff from the old spec the definitions seem good but just remember some definitions may not be needed and some extra ones may be needed

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GabbytheGreek_48)
    hey is that for As because if so seems like stuff from the old spec the definitions seem good but just remember some definitions may not be needed and some extra ones may be needed
    Oh thanks, yup it's AS. Do you have any updated list or any specific keywords that are newly added into the syllabus?

ReputationRep:
    Oh thanks, yup it's AS. Do you have any updated list or any specific keywords that are newly added into the syllabus?
    sorry i dont have a list but i know some stuff that you dont have to know until A2 like types of nodes and such i know some stuff have moved from A2 to As but cant seem to remember if ythey gave you a textbook should be at the back of that all the definitions if not hmm ill see if i can try remember

ReputationRep:

Those definitions are definitely okay.

The physics of the cardiac cycle i.e. electrical signals from the SAN and the SVN aren't needed though and also transmission, because as Gabby has pointed out they are from the old AS specification.

ReputationRep:
    what was the question on paper two about xerophytes being adapted. it sed "apart from.... explain how xerophytes are adapted"

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.