The Student Room Group

Year 13 Maths Help Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by coolsul98
IMG_2726.JPGpart iii

you ****er are you re-sitting some units? Tell me bc
Help - ques 6.b) iii) where did i go wrong?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by kiiten
Help - ques 6.b) iii) where did i go wrong?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Your answer is correct, it just isn't in the 'simplest form' I guess. Multiply both the numerator and denominator by -1 and the rest should come quite easily.

6xx+5x6x5x51x5x5x51x511x5\dfrac{6-x}{-x+5} \Rightarrow \dfrac{x-6}{x-5} \Rightarrow \dfrac{x-5-1}{x-5} \Rightarrow \dfrac{x-5}{x-5} - \dfrac{1}{x-5} \Rightarrow 1 - \dfrac{1}{x-5}
Original post by justinawe
Your answer is correct, it just isn't in the 'simplest form' I guess. Multiply both the numerator and denominator by -1 and the rest should come quite easily.

6xx+5x6x5x51x5x5x51x511x5\dfrac{6-x}{-x+5} \Rightarrow \dfrac{x-6}{x-5} \Rightarrow \dfrac{x-5-1}{x-5} \Rightarrow \dfrac{x-5}{x-5} - \dfrac{1}{x-5} \Rightarrow 1 - \dfrac{1}{x-5}

Ohh i see thanks :smile:

Would i still get the marks with my answer?
Original post by kiiten

I'm not too sure about that I'm afraid, it's been a couple years since I did my A-levels, I don't quite remember how the markschemes go. The question doesn't say anything about what form you should leave your answer in, so my guess is you'd get the marks. At worst you'd be docked 1 mark.
Original post by justinawe
I'm not too sure about that I'm afraid, it's been a couple years since I did my A-levels, I don't quite remember how the markschemes go. The question doesn't say anything about what form you should leave your answer in, so my guess is you'd get the marks. At worst you'd be docked 1 mark.

Ahh ok :smile:. Anyone else know??
Original post by kiiten

Your answer is fine. There's no need to split up the fraction.

You could make it nicer if you multiply top and bottom by -1 but a mark scheme would allow either form.

Why did you think your answer was wrong?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by notnek
Your answer is fine. There's no need to split up the fraction.

You could make it nicer if you multiply top and bottom by -1 but a mark scheme would allow either form.

Why did you think your answer was wrong?

First i thought my answer was different to the right answer. Then I confused myself by trying to simplify my answer to match the mark scheme but ended up with 1 + 6/5 (x cancel out) - I must have completely forgot that you cant do that :3 - just a silly mistake :tongue:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by kiiten
First i thought my answer was different to the right answer. Then I confused myself by trying to simplify my answer to match the mark scheme but ended up with 1 + 6/5 (x cancel out) - I must have completely forgot that you cant do that :3 - just a silly mistake :tongue:

Lack of understanding of cancelling fractions is very common at A Level and I've seen it cost many marks in exams.

If you're confident that you won't make this mistake again then ignore it. But if you're even slightly unsure then I recommend you rethink about why what you did was wrong. Feel free to ask if you want an explanation.

Some A Level students just don't like to admit to their teacher that they're unsure about cancelling :smile:
Original post by notnek
Lack of understanding of cancelling fractions is very common at A Level and I've seen it cost many marks in exams.

If you're confident that you won't make this mistake again then ignore it. But if you're even slightly unsure then I recommend you rethink about why what you did was wrong. Feel free to ask if you want an explanation.

Some A Level students just don't like to admit to their teacher that they're unsure about cancelling :smile:

I agree - i wouldnt ask my teacher this. Yeah i know where i went wrong, i know how to cancel fractions but sometimes forget because i dont have to do it often.

The only way i remember is to factorise the top and bottom and see if anything can be simplified/cancelled out. I wasnt taught/didnt know that you can also split up the numbers to simplify the fraction. Thanks :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Im confused about drawing modulus graphs.

E.g. y = IxI + Ix-3I

I did -x + (-x+3)
Y = -2x +3

Then x + (-x+3) etc.

These are the lines you draw to make up the graph but how do you find the range/bounds for each of these. E.g. y=-2x+3 has the bound x <0 but how do you know that?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by kiiten
Im confused about drawing modulus graphs.

E.g. y = IxI + Ix-3I

I did -x + (-x+3)
Y = -2x +3

Then x + (-x+3) etc.

These are the lines you draw to make up the graph but how do you find the range/bounds for each of these. E.g. y=-2x+3 has the bound x <0 but how do you know that?

Posted from TSR Mobile

You have to think about what values of x change the expressions inside the molulii from positive to negative.

For x|x|, that point is x=0x = 0.
For x3|x-3|, that points is x=3x =3.

So you have two critical points, x=0x = 0 and x=3x = 3 which gives you three regions that you need to consider:

x<0x < 0

0x<30 \leq x < 3

x3x \geq 3.

If we consider the first region x<0x<0:

Here x<0x<0 and x3<0x-3 < 0 so the equation becomes

y=x(x3)=2x+3y = -x -(x-3) = -2x + 3

and so you draw the line y=2x+3y=-2x + 3 in the region x<0x<0.
Original post by notnek
You have to think about what values of x change the expressions inside the molulii from positive to negative.

For x|x|, that point is x=0x = 0.
For x3|x-3|, that points is x=3x =3.

So you have two critical points, x=0x = 0 and x=3x = 3 which gives you three regions that you need to consider:

x<0x < 0

0x<30 \leq x < 3

x3x \geq 3.

If we consider the first region x<0x<0:

Here x<0x<0 and x3<0x-3 < 0 so the equation becomes

y=x(x3)=2x+3y = -x -(x-3) = -2x + 3

and so you draw the line y=2x+3y=-2x + 3 in the region x<0x<0.

Ok i understand where you got the critical points from but how do you know x<0 and not x>0 for example?
Original post by kiiten
Ok i understand where you got the critical points from but how do you know x<0 and not x>0 for example?

The critical points x = 0 and x = 3 are where things change (either side of them). If you draw these two points on a number line then you'll see that you have created 3 distinct regions.

You have to consider these three regions to see what happens to the expression in each of the regions.

x>0 is considered but this is part of the middle region.
Original post by notnek
The critical points x = 0 and x = 3 are where things change (either side of them). If you draw these two points on a number line then you'll see that you have created 3 distinct regions.

You have to consider these three regions to see what happens to the expression in each of the regions.

x>0 is considered but this is part of the middle region.

Oh I see. What if you had 3 critical values e.g. I(x-1)(x-2)(x-3)I - the values wold be 1, 2 and 3 but what about the bounds??
Original post by kiiten
Oh I see. What if you had 3 critical values e.g. I(x-1)(x-2)(x-3)I - the values wold be 1, 2 and 3 but what about the bounds??

Have you tried sketching the graph, both in the 2 and 3 cv case?:h:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by kiiten

Again, draw a number line and mark the values 1, 2 and 3. You will see you have created 4 regions.

What are they?

If the question was to draw y = I(x-1)(x-2)(x-3)I, then a better appoach here would be to draw y = (x-1)(x-2)(x-3) and then consider the transformation f(x) -> |f(x)|.
(edited 7 years ago)
Posted from TSR Mobile

Can questions like this (questions 1&4) come up in the c3 edexcel exam? I kinda sorta understand q1 but haven't got a clue how to do q4.
Thank you in advance :yes:
Original post by SeanFM
Have you tried sketching the graph, both in the 2 and 3 cv case?:h:

Kinda - i put 1, 2, 3 on the x axis and -6 on the y axis for where the graph intersects. Im not sure but are the bounds

x < 1
1 < x <2
2< x< 3
x >3

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by kiiten
Kinda - i put 1, 2, 3 on the x axis and -6 on the y axis for where the graph intersects. Im not sure but are the bounds x <1 1 <x <3 and x>3 ??

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well, you tell me. You have to know why your answer is that. What does the graph show you? Refer back to the original question to answer this.
Hint: the shape of the graph is important, you need to figure out why that is and how to draw the full graph as a rough sketch.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest