TSR Med Students' Society Part VI

Announcements Posted on
How helpful is our apprenticeship zone? Have your say with our short survey 02-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    We've been told by older years that consultants on wards rip the **** out of students with fancy stethoscopes like the cardiology ones...
    Again the above message was me, no idea why the anon box keeps staying ticked !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zain-A)
    Weird. I and many other medical students have the cardiology ones and it never draws comments...

I have seen a consultant make a smarmy comment on somebody's electronic amplifying stethoscope, but that was quickly retracted when he found out the student is partially deaf :P

ReputationRep:
    No one tells you about the fact that medicine is full of hardcore alcoholics in the open days, every time I say to myself "today I will catch up" a sesh appears.
    prsom, these people actually don't stop drinking

ReputationRep:
    We've been told by older years that consultants on wards rip the **** out of students with fancy stethoscopes like the cardiology ones...
    I think that's probably more of an urban legend than anything else. There's very little difference visually between the Cardiology and the Classic, other than the former being just generally thicker and more robust (as you'd expect). You'd probably draw some more looks if you had the Master Cardiology just because it's very clearly a completely different stethoscope and looks completely different and hence is more obvious even across the ward. But with the Classic/Cardiology they'd have to 1) know the difference between the two, 2) look closely enough with intent to notice the difference and then 3) want to make the active effort to rip you for it.

It's just some site-wide setting... wasn't designed for massive threads like this! It's just so in case it's a sexual health thread or whatever happens in that other area of the forum (:p:) the OP doesn't accidentally become non-anon and hence reveal all their secrets. In here it's just a bit irritating but nothing we can do about it apparently!

ReputationRep:
    Studying on a train is great idea until your PBL case is all reproductive science. Pictures EVERYWHERE.

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone tried the cardiology IV yet? Seems to have only recently appeared though charges quite a bit more than the III and the master cardiology.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AnnekaChan173)
    prsom, these people actually don't stop drinking
    Next five years should be fun then

(Original post by Beska)
    I think that's probably more of an urban legend than anything else. There's very little difference visually between the Cardiology and the Classic, other than the former being just generally thicker and more robust (as you'd expect). You'd probably draw some more looks if you had the Master Cardiology just because it's very clearly a completely different stethoscope and looks completely different and hence is more obvious even across the ward. But with the Classic/Cardiology they'd have to 1) know the difference between the two, 2) look closely enough with intent to notice the difference and then 3) want to make the active effort to rip you for it.

It's just some site-wide setting... wasn't designed for massive threads like this! It's just so in case it's a sexual health thread or whatever happens in that other area of the forum (:p:) the OP doesn't accidentally become non-anon and hence reveal all their secrets. In here it's just a bit irritating but nothing we can do about it apparently!
    Thanks for explaining the anon thing! And yeah I see your point about the cardiology scope now, people in this school made it sound like if you didn't have the classic you were a mug who paid more for nothing so I ended up just getting the classic hahaha

ReputationRep:
    Next five years should be fun then

Thanks for explaining the anon thing! And yeah I see your point about the cardiology scope now, people in this school made it sound like if you didn't have the classic you were a mug who paid more for nothing so I ended up just getting the classic hahaha
    To be fair, the classic is more than good enough to get you through medical school. (The annoying thing is that the cardiology has better colours )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by plrodham1)
    Has anyone tried the cardiology IV yet? Seems to have only recently appeared though charges quite a bit more than the III and the master cardiology.
    It blocks out ambient sound a lot better than my old classic II, but that is probably confounded by the fact my classic II was all but completely knackered hence the need for a new stethoscope!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beska)
    It blocks out ambient sound a lot better than my old classic II, but that is probably confounded by the fact my classic II was all but completely knackered hence the need for a new stethoscope!
    I'm really in need of an update as i feel that the classic II is actually quite poor compared to a cardio III that i tried recently, just not quite sure if the cardiology IV will be worth the increase in price (though realistically this will probably be the last one i buy so might as well make it a good one to get through foundation and core training).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mrs House)
    3 weeks of endo done. Really interesting.

Started renal today, renal physiology i feel like i've been hit by a bus
    I still don't quite get how it all changes in the loop of Henle....good luck with that!

(Original post by kate4354)
    Guys which stethoscope would you advise for clinical years?

And which size for the Oxford Handbook CM/cheese and onion version? There seems to be a very small pocket size and a slightly larger pocket size version
    at my med school they advised us to get 'regular size' Oxford Handbook of CM, 8th edition. But that may be due to the fact that we have an open book exam coming up and Oxford Handbook of CM is the only one allowed :P

ReputationRep:
    I finished my renal placement a little while ago, and I'm convinced you could be a nephrologist without really understanding how kidneys work.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nottie)
    at my med school they advised us to get 'regular size' Oxford Handbook of CM, 8th edition. But that may be due to the fact that we have an open book exam coming up and Oxford Handbook of CM is the only one allowed :P

I adore my pocket sized version though! So handy. Not sure I could be arsed crawling back to my bag every time I wanted to check something.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hype en Ecosse)
    I finished my renal placement a little while ago, and I'm convinced you could be a nephrologist without really understanding how kidneys work.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Meh, as far as I'm concerned, there are still pixies in the loop of Henle.

ReputationRep:
    Blood goes in one end, piss comes out the other.

No blood = no piss.
    If blood present and no piss ?blocked tubes

What more do you need?

ReputationRep:
    Any advice appreciated on how not to look like a tit tomorrow morning.

Been assigned to anaesthetics (to a paediatric/obstetric anaesthetist) but have literally no information beyond that from the med school/hospital. No info on where to go, or when, or to what operating theatre, what ward. It feels like a literal stab in the dark – I'm here for a week.

Emailed the consultant this evening after finding out I'm there (had an authorised absence today so found out late), but unlikely they'll see it before tomorrow AM.

Any ideas where best to go/ask/introduce myself to the anaesthetic team? Should I go for pre-op management somewhere, what time etc? Does this vary?

Arghhh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MJK91)

Been assigned to anaesthetics (to a paediatric/obstetric anaesthetist) but have literally no information beyond that from the med school/hospital. No info on where to go, or when, or to what operating theatre, what ward. It feels like a literal stab in the dark – I'm here for a week.

Emailed the consultant this evening after finding out I'm there (had an authorised absence today so found out late), but unlikely they'll see it before tomorrow AM.

Any ideas where best to go/ask/introduce myself to the anaesthetic team? Should I go for pre-op management somewhere, what time etc? Does this vary?

Arghhh
    If its an obstetric anaesthetist then i would go to labour ward and ask whoever's there. They'll be able to point you towards obstetric theatres if nothing else.

I'd show up for 0730-0800ish. Anaesthetists start early, but any earlier is a bit unreasonable on you if you haven't been told anything.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hype en Ecosse)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    (Original post by Nottie)
    I still don't quite get how it all changes in the loop of Henle....good luck with that!

(Original post by Helenia)
    Meh, as far as I'm concerned, there are still pixies in the loop of Henle.
    (Original post by Etomidate)
    Blood goes in one end, piss comes out the other.

No blood = no piss.
    If blood present and no piss ?blocked tubes

What more do you need?
    Hahahahahaha you guys made my day
    I actually understand the physiology now, not 100% but enough to actually understand what's going on most of the time haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MJK91)

Arghhh
    I'd turn up to theatres around 8 or a little earlier (sorry!), ask someone who looks like they know what they're doing if you can find out what theatre Dr X is in, or if there's an anaesthetic rota anywhere. If they're actually on labour ward, head there and ask the midwives, otherwise they'll probably either be in their designated theatre or seeing patients in whatever pre-op area your hospital has (some have different areas for day surgery vs inpatient ops). If all else fails, head back to that theatre for 8.30ish, which is when most lists start, and by then there'll at least be an ODP/other theatre staff around who might be able to help out more. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nexttime)
    If its an obstetric anaesthetist then i would go to labour ward and ask whoever's there. They'll be able to point you towards obstetric theatres if nothing else.

I'd show up for 0730-0800ish. Anaesthetists start early, but any earlier is a bit unreasonable on you if you haven't been told anything.
    (Original post by Helenia)
    I'd turn up to theatres around 8 or a little earlier (sorry!), ask someone who looks like they know what they're doing if you can find out what theatre Dr X is in, or if there's an anaesthetic rota anywhere. If they're actually on labour ward, head there and ask the midwives, otherwise they'll probably either be in their designated theatre or seeing patients in whatever pre-op area your hospital has (some have different areas for day surgery vs inpatient ops). If all else fails, head back to that theatre for 8.30ish, which is when most lists start, and by then there'll at least be an ODP/other theatre staff around who might be able to help out more. Good luck!
    Thanks both!

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: December 5, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Would you rather have...?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.