Chess games

Announcements Posted on

ReputationRep:
    Open game: https://lichess.org/2hHGVObk

EDIT: I'm going offline on TSR but the link is still open for anyone to join

ReputationRep:
    Is it me or do people always play worse in tournaments on chess.com? I just got bronze with 5/7 in an open (nobody over 2000, a few around 1800+) 5|0 tournament, going into it rated 1353 and beating 3 1600s and a 1900. And while I came up with some decent stuff, it was mostly down to them sucking. I dunno if more people who play tournaments tend to play them nearly exclusively, and thus the rating pool has a different distribution there or what.

ReputationRep:
    13 1 20 8 42 Sorry about that, I saw you'd entered but after I'd gone to eat. Should've closed it

Are you up for a game now ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pinkberry_y)
    How do you play chess?
    Typical silly dupe question. I don't mind playing Electrospective. I haven't played in years but I still maintain that there has been nobody that I have played and not beaten at least once.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Except for one but he was Welsh.

I realise you've got a tournament going but I'm happy to wait 'til a next time unless you're doing a repechage system...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PharaohFromSpace)
    Open game: https://lichess.org/2hHGVObk

EDIT: I'm going offline on TSR but the link is still open for anyone to join
    Are you in a game now?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 04MR17)
    Typical silly dupe question. I don't mind playing Electrospective. I haven't played in years but I still maintain that there has been nobody that I have played and not beaten at least once.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Except for one but he was Welsh.
    I realise you've got a tournament going but I'm happy to wait 'til a next time unless you're doing a repechage system...
    I think that tournament has died a death 04mr17!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by john2054)
    I think that tournament has died a death 04mr17!
    Oh dear! And to think, that I was so hopeful. Would you like a game or are you about to die?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PharaohFromSpace)
    13 1 20 8 42 Sorry about that, I saw you'd entered but after I'd gone to eat. Should've closed it

Are you up for a game now ?
    Didn't see this, damn notifications..
    Maybe later, watching TV at the minute.

ReputationRep:
    Oh dear! And to think, that I was so hopeful. Would you like a game or are you about to die?
    yes i'm up for one, is 15 minutes okay with you, nothing added?

ReputationRep:
    https://lichess.org/cn29VswY

https://lichess.org/cn29VswY

try this

ReputationRep:
    Was that you i just played 04Mr? gg hey? you nearly won https://en.lichess.org/cn29VswY

ReputationRep:
    Just played a funny casual game on lichess; obviously my opponent was a complete beginner but I realised it might be fun to try and play as accurately as I can. I got 2 average centipawn loss over 27 moves LOL! (I know, I shouldn't be spending my time like this...)
    https://en.lichess.org/qw8VO3SX/black#54

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 13 1 20 8 42)
    Is it me or do people always play worse in tournaments on chess.com? I just got bronze with 5/7 in an open (nobody over 2000, a few around 1800+) 5|0 tournament, going into it rated 1353 and beating 3 1600s and a 1900. And while I came up with some decent stuff, it was mostly down to them sucking. I dunno if more people who play tournaments tend to play them nearly exclusively, and thus the rating pool has a different distribution there or what.
    I'm pretty surprised the 1900 you played played so badly; it makes you wonder how they got to 1900 in blitz...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by john2054)
    Was that you i just played 04Mr? gg hey? you nearly won https://en.lichess.org/cn29VswY
    It was. It wouldn't allow numbers to start a username so I improvised.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IrrationalRoot)
    I'm pretty surprised the 1900 you played played so badly; it makes you wonder how they got to 1900 in blitz...
    Yeah. In fairness he manufactured activity near the end from a vastly worse position, primarily because I was panicking lol.
    Looking on his page there are people accusing him of cheating: "This dude was losing all game and then made like 10 perfect checkmate moves in a row when he had under 10 seconds left. Hmmmm" and "This guy cheats!"; then again entirely unfounded accusations of cheating are common. He's played thousands of blitz games so it's no matter of rating instability allowing him to climb high.

ReputationRep:
    It was. It wouldn't allow numbers to start a username so I improvised.
    it was a good game because neither of us took it too seriously and we enjoyed it. After all that is what chess should be about after all isn't it? Or at least i did!

ReputationRep:
    Just played a funny casual game on lichess; obviously my opponent was a complete beginner but I realised it might be fun to try and play as accurately as I can. I got 2 average centipawn loss over 27 moves LOL! (I know, I shouldn't be spending my time like this...)
    1. f4 best by test

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 13 1 20 8 42)
    1. f4 best by test
    Was actually a bit scared after 1.f4 that he was gonna crush me with the Bird XD

ReputationRep:
    The evaluations are capped at +10, so once you get ridiculously far ahead average centipawn loss isn't calculated. For example, if you have an extra queen and two rooks, and give away one of the rooks, it won't get flagged as a blunder on lichess because the evaluation was +10, and it is still +10, so no centipawns have been lost.

So there might be some sense in which your move 17 was a mistake (after all it loses a bishop that you could easily have saved), but since the position went from 'totally winning' to 'still totally winning' it doesn't get flagged up and doesn't lose you any centipawns.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Forum User)
    The evaluations are capped at +10, so once you get ridiculously far ahead average centipawn loss isn't calculated. For example, if you have an extra queen and two rooks, and give away one of the rooks, it won't get flagged as a blunder on lichess because the evaluation was +10, and it is still +10, so no centipawns have been lost.

So there might be some sense in which your move 17 was a mistake (after all it loses a bishop that you could easily have saved), but since the position went from 'totally winning' to 'still totally winning' it doesn't get flagged up and doesn't lose you any centipawns.
    I noticed that, yeah, I was pretty sure my last few moves weren't accurate because at that stage I couldn't be bothered lol. There's definitely a cap at ±10.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: December 4, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
How are you feeling about doing A-levels?
Useful resources

Quick Link:

Unanswered Forum Games Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.