The Commons Bar Mk XIII - MHoC Chat Thread

Announcements Posted on
Four things that unis think matter more than league tables 08-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    What the hell has happened to MTV?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zjj1PmJcRM

ReputationRep:
    I have just got the CUTEST pixie cut and I'm so happy I'm going to have a lunchtime cocktail :bumps::camp::colondollar::happy2::hippie:

ReputationRep:
    Labour internal figures apparently showing a likely result in the leadership election of around Corbyn 65%, Smith 35%.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saoirse:3)
    Labour internal figures apparently showing a likely result in the leadership election of around Corbyn 65%, Smith 35%.
    Good, I don't think Corbyn is great but Smith is worse.

ReputationRep:
    Mogg arguing that because we have never paid more than 38% GDP in tax in this country in the past 100 years we shouldn't now... What kind of stupid argument is that?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    Mogg arguing that because we have never paid more than 38% GDP in tax in this country in the past 100 years we shouldn't now... What kind of stupid argument is that?!
    If anything we should pay less. I see none of the countries problems being solved with across the board tax increases.

I would raise and introduce more wealth/property taxes given the opportunity (while reducing taxes for business, income and consumption).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    Good, I don't think Corbyn is great but Smith is worse.
    The main thing now is that the party unites. Clearly for anyone opposed to Corbyn, that result would indicate back to the drawing board is the way to go. But for now his legitimacy must be recognised and anyone interested in helping Labour return to Government must serve in the best way they can.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    Ummm, a rather sensible one given that that 38% upper limit does not discriminate based on tax rates, unless you're suggesting that suddenly today things have changed for no discernible reason.

If you want to increase tax revenues you increase GDP, and the last thing that will help that is tax hikes.

ReputationRep:
    I have just got the CUTEST pixie cut and I'm so happy I'm going to have a lunchtime cocktail :bumps::camp::colondollar::happy2::hippie:
    This is the kind of quality content I come to the bar to see. Glad you're happy with your haircut!

As for the more political discussion, I'm about to start packing to head off to conference on Saturday which should be good, got a fair few fringe events I want to see,one of which is staying up as a group to watch the first presidential debate)

ReputationRep:
    I would have a drink in the bar tonight to celebrate the defeat of the Finance Bill but will be elsewhere. Hope the rest of you have a pleasant weekend.

ReputationRep:
    Heading down to Dublin to see a Buting and Strang Criminal Justice Discussion (lawyers from Making a Murderer)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Ummm, a rather sensible one given that that 38% upper limit does not discriminate based on tax rates, unless you're suggesting that suddenly today things have changed for no discernible reason.

If you want to increase tax revenues you increase GDP, and the last thing that will help that is tax hikes.
    No it isn't, it's an appeal to tradition which isn't 'sensible' at all.

The main thing now is that the party unites. Clearly for anyone opposed to Corbyn, that result would indicate back to the drawing board is the way to go. But for now his legitimacy must be recognised and anyone interested in helping Labour return to Government must serve in the best way they can.
    I agree, personally I wouldn't be opposed to deselection of consistent troublemakers as really it's the PLP not Corbyn making the party look incompetent IMO.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    No it isn't, it's an appeal to tradition which isn't 'sensible' at all.

I agree, personally I wouldn't be opposed to deselection of consistent troublemakers as really it's the PLP not Corbyn making the party look incompetent IMO.
    So stating historical facts showing something near impossible is an appeal to tradition? You do realise that this covers the times where some of the policies people want, such as very high taxes on the rich, were a thing, right?

I'll remember this and on the rare occasion that you can actually muster evidence rather than using broken logic declare it a mere appeal to tradition.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    So stating historical facts showing something near impossible is an appeal to tradition? You do realise that this covers the times where some of the policies people want, such as very high taxes on the rich, were a thing, right?

I'll remember this and on the rare occasion that you can actually muster evidence rather than using broken logic declare it a mere appeal to tradition.
    It wasn't presented as a fact that you can't go over it and indeed I have seen no evidence that it's impossible to collect more than 38% GDP in tax, He stated that we shouldn't aim for more in tax because it hasn't been done before not that it's impossible to do.

Obviously there is a mathematical limit on how much tax one can collect as a percentage of GDP for the simple fact that the government then spends the money domestically and they tend not to tax themselves.

ReputationRep:
    Jacob Rees- Mogg makes Question Time interesting, helps that I love him too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by meenu89)
    I didn't catch it but I am partial to a bit of Mogg, is it worth watching on iPlayer?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by meenu89)
    The only Tory who would make me tune in.

Just popped in to mention I'll be heading off to conference tomorrow so might be less active but if anything interesting happens I'll try to let everyone know!

ReputationRep:
    How the **** does the American justice system think it appropriate to sentence prisoners to solitary confinement for attempting suicide?!

ReputationRep:
    Mogg is amusing to listen to but neither enlightening nor particularly convincing. Peter Hitchens is a right-winger I have a lot of time for, albeit he's not exactly a 'Tory'.

ReputationRep:
    JRM is a delight, but he's not especially insightful.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: December 11, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Do you think you'll achieve your predicted A Level grades?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.