The Current Year 11 Thread Mark I (2016-2017)

Announcements Posted on
Four things that unis think matter more than league tables 08-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LEuphoria)
    I find the best way for me to revise poetry is to go through the poems, read your annotations and try to make them as detailed as possible, making sure you understand the methods used, the context of the poem, the effects on the audience etc. If you go through the poem almost line by line doing this, thinking of all possible interpretations of them and how they link to the bigger picture of the poem (to themes like love, conflict power etc.), then you should hopefully have a good understanding of the poem and be able to write about it from any angle the examiner may throw at you. Hope this helps!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    How do you structure your response when comparing two poems?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by patriciaanne)
    How do you structure your response when comparing two poems?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    People have different opinions on how to structure these things. I would normally pick out the theme you want to address on both poems, analyse the evidence you've given for both in isolation, and then to finish the paragraph, talk about how their presentations of the themes differ or agree with each other. So if you're thinking about structure in terms of school jargon, it would be Point, Evidence, Analysis, Comparison. Hope this helps! If you need anything else, let me know.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sunshine774)
    What grade is a 2+ and a 6? I have no idea as I did the old spec last year...
    a 2 is a E and a 6 is a B

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LEuphoria)
    Hi everyone, hope it's not too late to introduce myself!

My GCSEs are:
    Spoiler:
    Show

English Language (AQA)
    English Literature (AQA)
    Maths (Edexcel)
    History (Edexcel)
    Biology (AQA)
    Chemistry (AQA)
    Physics (AQA)
    French (Edexcel)
    Philosophy and Ethics (AQA)
    PE (Edexcel)
    Citizenship (AQA)

I'm slightly suspicious of myself in that I'm not yet terrified for the exams. The calm before the storm perhaps?

For A level, I'm thinking of taking French, History, Maths and English Lit. I'm still not 100% sure what I want to do at degree level- until a few months ago I didn't even know whether I wanted to do the sciences or humanities! I've narrowed down slightly, and I think I might do something to do with either history or languages or both.

Looking forward to getting involved in the thread!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    We have nearly the same A level choices but I want to do politics or economics in place of your english lit. I was thinking about taking it but I decided that just because im good at it, i dont like it so its risky.
    Your A levels are a good combo for law, have you ever considered it???
    I am quite calm also but I feel its weird to be stressed so early on.
    Good luck in your gcse's, I'm sure you'll smash em!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yaanii12)
    We have nearly the same A level choices but I want to do politics or economics in place of your english lit. I was thinking about taking it but I decided that just because im good at it, i dont like it so its risky.
    Your A levels are a good combo for law, have you ever considered it???
    I am quite calm also but I feel its weird to be stressed so early on.
    Good luck in your gcse's, I'm sure you'll smash em!!
    Oh that's cool! English Lit is definitely the subject I'm most iffy about - I'm like you at the moment. It's one of my better subjects, but I don't enjoy it that much. I was toying with the idea of doing something like physics to go with the maths, but my priority is to do what I'm best at, and I'm confident that I could get a good grade in English. I would love to do German, but my school doesn't do the qualification at GCSE or A Level.

I have considered law- that's what I set out do with my GCSEs in the first place! However, I did a week of work experience at a law firm this summer, and I found all the detailed, day-to-day stuff horrendously boring, although the commercial law was quite interesting. It's a subject I can't really get excited by, and I want to do something I really enjoy at degree level (but hopefully still get a career with?!). Is law something you're considering?

Yeah, I suppose they are still a long way away. Thanks, a good luck with yours too! You'll be fantastic.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _gcx)
    I'm pretty sure it'd count, regardless of whether it's Core, Additional or Further Additional/Extension.
    My physics teacher said that if you do unit 3 sciences the controlled assessments have to be either unit 2 or unit 3

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Itsemziexoxo)
    My physics teacher said that if you do unit 3 sciences the controlled assessments have to be either unit 2 or unit 3
    Thats correct

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone doing edexcel maths higher got a topic list as I have mocks in November and I need to know what to revise as I have lost my book and maths is my weakest subject (keep getting 4's and 5's)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChallengeLover)

Other subjects I can take in year 11 as well (dunno why I couldn't start them in year 10):
    Stats
    Further Maths
    Latin (Spanish teacher(she teaches Latin as well) thinks I can do it but I think she overestimates me.)
    Urdu (my mother tongue but I don't think I can take the workload)
    French (French teacher is head of languages and wants me to do it but I know no French)
    German (German teacher loves me for some reason and tried to enter me for next year without me knowing and i know no German.)
    History (Urgh no chance here)
    Arabic (Teacher wants me to do it because my cousin got an A*in it a few years ago but i have no shot of getting a good grade here)
    Panjabi (my dad speaks it and so do I so the urdu teacher is urging me to choose urdu and or panjabi)
    Italian/Portugese( Teachers urging me to do languages similar to Spanish)

Probably won't take any of them tbh except for Portuguese. It is Spanish with a few alterations.

its so great that your school does so many languages! my school only does three and i cant do any of them because im doing triple sci and its not allowed in my school :unimpressed: which is so?????? stupid??? either way tho it seems like youve got a lot of sh*t to get through

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samaad1)
    Has anyone doing edexcel maths higher got a topic list as I have mocks in November and I need to know what to revise as I have lost my book and maths is my weakest subject (keep getting 4's and 5's)
    Download/ print off the spec from the edexcel site

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pinkypaz123)
    Download/ print off the spec from the edexcel site
    samaad1 To add onto this, there are also sample test papers on the Edexcel website too. There are some privated (ie. password-locked) sets that I have on hand, if you're interested in them.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, everybody. It's been roughly 5 weeks into Year 11 and how is everybody doing? Good or bad? Share with the rest of us below. Also has anyone been looking around for sixth forms and if not why not? Finally keep up the hard work, it will pay off come Summer 2017 when we open our brown envelopes.

JTran38

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JTran38)
    Hi, everybody. It's been roughly 5 weeks into Year 11 and how is everybody doing? Good or bad? Share with the rest of us below. Also has anyone been looking around for sixth forms and if not why not? Finally keep up the hard work, it will pay off come Summer 2017 when we open our brown envelopes.

JTran38
    It's going alright for me, Spanish is stressing me because I can't seem to do listening papers. I've hit a block with sixth forms I just don't know where I want to go because I don't want to travel too far because it's less stress.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Simonexoxo)
    It's going alright for me, Spanish is stressing me because I can't seem to do listening papers. I've hit a block with sixth forms I just don't know where I want to go because I don't want to travel too far because it's less stress.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm doing ok-ish I guess, I have a mock exam due in November of which I need to do well as that's what I'll send off to the sixth forms/colleges as my predicted grades when I apply. Sixth forms for me are also stressful, I only have 3 in mind and still have one more open evening to attend in November.

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing ok-ish I guess, I have a mock exam due in November of which I need to do well as that's what I'll send off to the sixth forms/colleges as my predicted grades when I apply. Sixth forms for me are also stressful, I only have 3 in mind and still have one more open evening to attend in November.
    Well good luck with your mocks because they're coming up soon, mine start the week commencing the 5th of December so I'm trying to start revising just so it's not so much stress as well because . Do you know what A levels you want to do, I think you told me before but I forgot

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

JTran38
    I'm just going to stay in my school sixth form. It's a really good school.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Simonexoxo)
    Well good luck with your mocks because they're coming up soon, mine start the week commencing the 5th of December so I'm trying to start revising just so it's not so much stress as well because . Do you know what A levels you want to do, I think you told me before but I forgot

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Government & Politics, Economics, Maths. If I had to pick four, then it would be French and I'll make a decision about which one to drop or if my grades are good to continue all 4.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BobBobson)
    I'm just going to stay in my school sixth form. It's a really good school.
    Good for you whereas I'm looking to move depending on my grades.

ReputationRep:

JTran38
    It's going alright so far - although I can feel the stress creeping up on me... I just got my Spanish speaking CA marks back though - full marks!!

As to sixth form, I'm fairly sure I want to move to the boys' grammar sixth form in the same town as my current school (it accepts girls in the sixth form) - although it's going to be super competitive to get in, plus they have entrance exams what about you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tolulah)
    It's going alright so far - although I can feel the stress creeping up on me... I just got my Spanish speaking CA marks back though - full marks!!

As to sixth form, I'm fairly sure I want to move to the boys' grammar sixth form in the same town as my current school (it accepts girls in the sixth form) - although it's going to be super competitive to get in, plus they have entrance exams what about you?
    Congratulations on getting predicted full marks for your Spanish Speaking exam, I have my French Speaking CA very soon and I hope I can get near to full marks as possible. I can relate to the stress, it's been very hectic and I suppose it will remain that way.

In terms of sixth forms, I really want to attend a really good local comprehensive that has the best A Level results in my results and arguably is the best school in my borough and Kaira1up will know what I'm talking about. I've visited that school on Thursday and I had a chance to speak to the students/staff and they were very informative and friendly and you do get the "positive vibe" unlike my bloody school which feels like some military.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: December 9, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Do you think you'll achieve your predicted A Level grades?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.