Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    England's only chances are if:
    - Macedona beat Croatia, we beat them 3-0 and we and Russia go through (croatia knocked out on head-to-head)

or

- Russia lose/draw with Israel, we beat Croatia.

The latter seems more likely, but neither seems entirely probable.

Sigh. I might not have Crouchie for a month this Summer. *cries*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gunners r us)
    ABRP would be very happy,lol
    they wont win the euros anywya, so who cares

ReputationRep:
    Shameful, Russia's defence was awful, typical England all over again.

ReputationRep:
    It's harsh to call Robinson's error woeful, it was a good shot. But he is an absolute idiot and has been showing incompetence for some time now. His defence did pretty damn well, the midfield disappointed today.

Stuart Downing? Wow, he's absolutely a joke isn't he.

McClaren was warned about Robinson, by the man himself! Petulant ******* played him anyway. I'd expect that if James had played all of qualifying, things would look better now.

If England get knocked out, I'll have to follow Germany, the other half of my nationality. At least their football is good.

ReputationRep:
    it was very poor goalkeeping. I'd blame him for that goal. The ball wasn't exactly out of his reach, and if you're going to palm the ball out, you make damn sure it's not into the path of an opposition player.

Penalty decision was farcical - clearly not in the box. Very poor decision.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clubber Lang)
    they wont win the euros anywya, so who cares
    neither will England but atleast Russia won the European Basketball Championship and is good at virtually all the Olympic Sports and Ice Hockey amongst other things in the professional sports field

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abrp)
    neither will England but atleast Russia won the European Basketball Championship and is good at virtually all the Olympic Sports and Ice Hockey amongst other things in the professional sports field
    Like Rugby?

ReputationRep:
    thats the only game ill admit you guys are quite good at. Im not counting Cricket because i honestly can't think of any major country which plays it well which wasn't part of the British Empire/Commonwealth etc etc. Guess most of the ones who are good at Rugby are same case scenario.

ReputationRep:
    Hahahahahahaha.

Mission almost complete Gerrard. Nice little miss and you can have the summer off.

ReputationRep:
    Bring Crouch on!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Epitomessence)
    Bring Crouch on!!!!!
    He doesn't even play for Liverpool lol. You saw what happened when he did come on - give a free kick away when trying to win a header Plus our two strikers aren't the problem.

ReputationRep:
    ;yes;I totally agree with Phil

ReputationRep:
    the pitch was more the size of a 5-a-side pitch!! as a result a lot of balls were over hit.

not that im making excuses - we were awful

ReputationRep:
    Enlgish philosophy *sigh*

England need a manager that's going to push them to play more offensively against teams like Russia away from home. England have got too much for most teams if they play to their full potential(which they have NEVER done yet with this current generation), the reason they under-perform is because their approach and attitude of the game needs to change.

You can't sit back with 10 men on the 18 yard-line and not expect to be broken down sooner or later. It was like Portugal all over again and a very average player RUI COSTA tore England apart because he had miles of space to run in midfield. They sit off way too much imo.

I'm pretty sure England are out now. Israel have nothing to play for and Russia need to win. McClaren will get sacked.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LAMP)
    Enlgish philosophy *sigh*

England need a manager that's going to push them to play more offensively against teams like Russia away from home. England have got too much for most teams if they play to their full potential(which they have NEVER done yet with this current generation), the reason they under-perform is because their approach and attitude of the game needs to change.

You can't sit back with 10 men on the 18 yard-line and not expect to be broken down sooner or later. It was like Portugal all over again and a very average player RUI COSTA tore England apart because he had miles of space to run in midfield. They sit off way too much imo.

I'm pretty sure England are out now. Israel have nothing to play for and Russia need to win. McClaren will get sacked.
    *sighs*

Rui Costa was world class, and helped carry fiorentina (with Toldo and Batistuta) for many years. Was also a fantastic servant for his country, and one of the most naturally gifted players I've ever seen.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Klinsmannic)
    *sighs*

Rui Costa was world class, and helped carry fiorentina (with Toldo and Batistuta) for many years. Was also a fantastic servant for his country, and one of the most naturally gifted players I've ever seen.
    Is that why he came on from the bench?

He WAS world class as you've pointed out. When he played vs England i can only say he was regarded as very average i'm afraid ( sorry to disappoint you.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LAMP)
    Is that why he came on from the bench?

He WAS world class as you've pointed out. When he played vs England i can only say he was regarded as very average i'm afraid ( sorry to disappoint you.)
    Nice to know you agree he was great player. But the way you worded it was like you were saying he was an average player full stop:

a very average player RUI COSTA
    Anyway, I don't think being on the bench is a decent indicator of form or quality...the fact that Rui costa scored a fantastic equaliser must tell you something. Deco occupied the attacking midfield role in the starting line up for Portugal and was coming off the back of a fantastic season as one of the best players in the world at the time. Just unfortunate for Rui Costa that Deco had emerged onto the world stage. A better barometer for form would be the 2003/04 season. Rui Costa had a good season 03/04 and won the Scudetto with Milan, playing 28 games.

ReputationRep:
    Robinson is out of the weekend match.

He must've made that goalkeeping error because of this 'injury' - calf strain, apparently.

golly :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Anyway, to echo my previous post, English football (international) is outdated.
    I was puzzled to hear the language from the England team: McLaren saying, "we were comfortable at 0-1..." Gerrard, "we should have saw it out..." When is 1-0 EVER comfortable? Why do England attempt to shut up shop after they score (unless they're facing the likes of San Marino) ?

This defensive, outdated football is inferior and has been exposed each time under any sort of pressure, and once again by an average Russian team. At least Russia played football in the second half, what did England do?
    I'm sick of hearing all this crap about England having world class players, like they 'deserve' success. Rubbish.
    /rant

ReputationRep:
    Where now for the Golden Generation? Who'll still be around come 2010

England's probable failure to qualify for Euro 2008 is likely to bring the curtain down on a number of international careers from the so-called "Golden Generation". Age, injury problems and the emergence of new talent will force the retirement of those who do not, like Paul Scholes and Jamie Carragher, jump first. Whoever does play ought to have a chance of a decent tournament. The 2010 World Cup will be played in the South African winter which, while not exactly freezing, should suit England's running and pressing game more than any World Cup since Argentina in 1978. England, of course, did not qualify then, either.

Goalkeepers

Paul Robinson (age 30 when the 2010 World Cup starts) is still young for a goalkeeper, but he can expect a period on the sidelines while alternatives are given a chance. Rob Green (30) is the form man, and the most experienced, but has rarely figured on Steve McClaren's radar. A change in management may offer him a chance. Of the younger generation Scott Carson (24) is first in line with Ben Foster (27) sure to be given a run, when fit, if he can get a regular game at club level.

Defenders

Gary Neville and Sol Campbell (both 35) are unlikely to survive a failure to qualify but Rio Ferdinand (31) can expect to become the defence's senior statesman. He may find Micah Richards (21) alongside him. John Terry (29) is young enough but his injury record casts doubt on his chances of making 2010. Should that happen there will be a vacancy at right-back. Glen Johnson (25) has the talent, but does he have the attitude and aptitude? Ashley Cole (29) will still be at left-back.

Midfielders

It is finally goodbye to David Beckham (35), who faces being stranded three shy of 100 caps. Unless Shaun Wright-Phillips (28) develops a final ball Aaron Lennon (23) should be on the right with Joe Cole (28) on the left. Centrally, Steven Gerrard (30) and Frank Lampard (31) will still be around along with Owen Hargreaves (29) and Michael Carrick (28) plus Gareth Barry (29), David Bentley (25) and Manchester City's Michael Johnson (22). Stewart Downing (25) remains unconvincing while Phil Neville's (33) time has probably passed.

Strikers

Michael Owen (30) will not be axed; he remains England's best chance of a goal and the need to qualify for 2010 means he will continue. However, his injury record suggests future England managers will be wise not to rely on his attending a fourth successive World Cup. Wayne Rooney (24) will be approaching his prime, injuries permitting, and may finally have stopped making daft challenges. Jermain Defoe (27) has failed to convince successive managers and could be overtaken by Matt Derbyshire (24), while we wait to see if Theo Walcott (21) is the real deal. There is also interest in Chelsea's Scott Sinclair (21).

LOL.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Football Discussions
Football League

The Football League

For all conversation about the English football league.

Fantasy Football

TSR's Fantasy Football League

Clean sheets, bonus points and captain picks, discuss it all here.

Predictions

TSR's Football Predictions Competition

Get your crystal balls out and win a prize!

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.