Turn on thread page Beta

McCain vs. Obama watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yuffie)
    I don't really see what she did that was bad in that interview. I don't personally agree with her views but I can respect them, whereas tolerance seems to be a thing all you extreme left wingers are scarily lacking.
    She displayed an acute lack of knowledge and fundamental understanding in some things, most famously in regards to foreign policy. Here is my problem with Sarah; every few sentences she speaks, she seems to use rhetoric and "folksy" language, to fill in for her apparent lack of knowledge. This is understandable, she is after all now thrusted into a Vice Presidency role and she has to become up to date with the specific of the issues facing the nation, specifics such as a broad and detailed understanding of the history of these issues and possible solutions and risks, as opposed to issues facing a small state.

ReputationRep:
    At best she's a poor rhetoritician, at worst she's a global threat.

(Original post by Yuffie)
    I don't really see what she did that was bad in that interview. I don't personally agree with her views but I can respect them, whereas tolerance seems to be a thing all you extreme left wingers are scarily lacking.
    You hardly need to be extreme left to disagree with Palin!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ascient)
    Reporter: If a 15 year old is raped by her father, you believe it should be illegal for her to have an abortion."

Palin: I am pro-life and I'm unapologetic about my position there on the life.

Reporter: Do you condone or condemn the morning after pill?

Palin: Personally, yes, but it isn't a McCain-Palin policy.

[A bit of a ramble about science and God]

It's all old news and it's something that us Europeans see as quite shocking. But, I wonder if these views are received with quite so much hostility by Americans.

I doubt it and it's their lives that are directly being affected and it's them that will be voting.

I don't think it'll be a walk in the park for Obama come election day. At all.

This other bit is just funny:

Reporter: "What newspapers do you read?"

Palin: "All of them :shifty:"

Skim reading ftw :woo:
    In Ireland they have the policy that you are not allowed an abortion under any personal circumstances, I don't get why people think of Palin as backward for it.
    Don't you think she had to say she read all the papers, she cannot endorse specific news journals.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bexicle89)
    In Ireland they have the policy that you are not allowed an abortion under any personal circumstances, I don't get why people think of Palin as backward for it.
    Don't you think she had to say she read all the papers, she cannot endorse specific news journals.
    Of course she can and she did in a later speech, presumably once someone told her to. Also even Ireland allows contraception, and that's pretty fundamentalist and backward.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by manderlay in flames)
    Of course she can and she did in a later speech, presumably once someone told her to. Also even Ireland allows contraception, and that's pretty fundamentalist and backward.
    You're very dumb if you think ANY politician reads a newspaper. The news will all get praesed by their respective research teams, so that they can take massive amounts of information in. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of this information comes without headings (unless vital) as there is no need. She simply DOES read all the newspapers (metaphorically).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ssk2)
    You're very dumb if you think ANY politician reads a newspaper. The news will all get praesed by their respective research teams, so that they can take massive amounts of information in. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of this information comes without headings (unless vital) as there is no need. She simply DOES read all the newspapers (metaphorically).
    Ok then she was lying in her later speech

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ssk2)
    Most politicians do read newspapers, even if only outside their employment capacity.

And Palin clearly wasn't referring to her massive Alaskan research team when she said she reads all the papers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by manderlay in flames)
    Ok then she was lying in her later speech
    Yes, because people would have asked why the hell she isn't reading newspapers if she would've said no.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ssk2)
    I work on Capital Hill and there are newspapers EVERYWHERE. Politicians will have several fresh copies of 5+ newspapers in their office and I have personally seen both senators and congressman read them. Yes, a lot of information is filtered to politicians by their staff, but mostly that consists of copies of certain articles, sometimes underlined, sometimes not. They also read a lot of reports from various departments regarding whichever subcommittees they are on or if certain votes are coming up. For example, they might read a debriefing on certain conflicts in Iraq or something to that extent. Bottom line is that Palin seemed very ignorant regarding a host of issues. Not being able to name a single supreme court case other than Roe v Wade is pathetic.

Intelligence/education is not her thing, she is more of a straight shooting hockey mom and people love her for that. Bush got by without his brains, why not her?

ReputationRep:
    CNN today put Obama for the first time past the 270 mark in their electoral map after moving Virginia from the 'toss-up' section to the 'leaning Obama' section and New Jersey has been called safe for Obama. The fact that states like Virginia and North Carolina are in play is outstanding, and yes I know the main reason they are in play aswell.

Here's the link to the map

http://edition.cnn.com/ELECTION/2008...tor/index.html

Anyone staying up for the debate tonight and McCain's last chance to pull out a Gamechanger?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Red Hot Raggle)
    Anyone staying up for the debate tonight and McCain's last chance to pull out a Gamechanger?
    I am and we're 15 minutes into it so far. Both Obama and McCain started off smoothly.

McCain then drives into his "planned- seemingly memorised- spiel about Joe the plumber and how Obama's tax plans penalise him. Obama is smooth in response".

McCain realises that the impetus is on him to do something and he's on the attack. Good strategy.

Getting very heated and aggressive now! This is a proper debate. Contrast this with the Biden-Palin one! Heh, as I say that, they're now going to start talking about the running mates.

McCain is taking the aggressive and Obama the more diplomatic approach, generally. I'm not really sure whose style the American people will prefer. McCain, though, is just turning everything into an attack on Obama. I think he needs to start concentrating on his own campaign a bit more. He's beginning to sound a bit rude now as well :erm: and is scraping the barrel a bit.

Neither of them are directly answering the questions, but then they are politicians :/

Jesus, can McCain STFU about Joe the plumber. Time for Obama to go on the offensive :woo:

This has definitely been the most enticing debate so far. Will be interesting to see who the American people, i.e. the people that matter, think 'won' it.

They share a strong handshake, exchange 'good jobs', embrace their wives on stage with a hug and a kiss before finally departing and thus concluding the third and final presidential election debate :top2:

ReputationRep:
    Watching the presidential debate, McCain appears to be a completely inferior politician to Obama. Of course one can't expect a politician to answer a question directly, but of the two, Obama stays more on track. McCain says petty statements like "I know how to cut spending" without actually saying how. Image wise, Obama is far more presidential, can keep his tongue in check and wait for the other to finish their point before butting in, and at least tries to refute the claims made by McCain - McCain can't refute anything, instead making quite childish claims against Obama. God help America if he gets voted in.

ReputationRep:
    McCain seems a little impetuous. He is so eager to attack Obamas points it just seems a tad childish.

ReputationRep:
    Quit the ******** arguements over Palin and concentrate on the real candidates for PRESIDENT!!

I say Obama to win, McCain was ridiculous in the recent debate, like an argumentative child. It's pathetic!!

ReputationRep:
    McCain won the debate, but it doesn't matter, Obama'll win. I hope he'll do a good job

ReputationRep:
    Obama is just a celebrity.

ReputationRep:
    66% of Fox News audiences said...Obama won the debate. That says it all. Barack Obama is the next President of the United States of America

ReputationRep:
    McCain had a plan and tried to execute it, but I don't know whether or not he backed on Obama just staying cool rather than taking the bait. Obama looked smooth, consistent and undeterred by McCain's persistent attacks and McCain himself cut a frustrating, angry, rambling old man figure by the end of the debate, I think.

They both gave a lot more content rather than just meaningless rhetoric, though, so I think it would have given quite a few voters who were undecided the chance to know more about the presidential hopefuls and decide who they are more in favour of.

ReputationRep:
    I think, policy arguments aside, Obama has proven time and time again that when it comes to the image-based oratory confrontations he's just much much better than Mccain. He makes Mccain look like the novice.

Poll
Do you like exams?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.