Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Supermassive_muse_fan)
    Happy birthday! Hope you have a great one!

I'll be 26 when I'm an F2... Ah well, at least people will stop commenting 'oh you rather young don't you!' by then.
    Tbh, when you're 80 (as most patients are), there's not much difference between a 22 and a 26 year old. And half of them will think you're a nurse anyway.

I graduated at 25, it's really not that old you know!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mushi_master)
    I do believe Psychiatry may send me a little crazy. Ridiculously deep subject and know pretty much naff all about it.
    Ditto - so very ditto!!
    So glad ive finished, i can finally go back to reaching some normality without questioning if normal is actually normal. They say psychiatrists are like their patients. If the job I want works out then I will be like my patients (NOT psychiatry though!)

Although if pubs cant serve drunk people then why can mcdonalds serve really fat people - quote chav from bus, made me laugh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    Tbh, when you're 80 (as most patients are), there's not much difference between a 22 and a 26 year old. And half of them will think you're a nurse anyway.

Have had a patient tell me off for not bringing their lunch Don't think 25 is old at all! (But it's close to 30 and I feel like I should have achieved so much by then but not even close.)

Also just saw your sig, belated Congratulations on getting married! :yay:

If we quote a smiley from another forum does it automatically get added? Because there's a muse one that wasn't there a few months ago, and I copied from the muse forum... and now its in the smiley list.

ReputationRep:
    ****ing nerve plexuses. Y u no be simple?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Philosoraptor)
    Thanks guys - ooops I may have had a drink last night and have subsequently missed my neurosurgery lectures :O

Time for some celebratory food - I hope the medical school accepts "Birthday" as a good excuse for not coming in :p:
    Happy Birthday! Hope you had a great one!

I have missed 3 days of placement this week. I'm having issues coming off holiday sleeping pattern and despite going to bed at midnight I haven't been sleeping until 3! Ah well, following a physio and watching newborn hearing tests can't be that much fun :rolleyes:
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fairy spangles)
    Although if pubs cant serve drunk people
    I was thinking about this the other day. It has to be the most ridiculous law - I would be willing to bet that 99.99% of places with a license would be shut down if this rule was actually enforced. Bit silly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beska)
    I was thinking about this the other day. It has to be the most ridiculous law - I would be willing to bet that 99.99% of places with a license would be shut down if this rule was actually enforced. Bit silly.
    Well it's illegal to be drunk in a public place !!! (Licensing Act 1872) - imagine if they actually enforced that :rofl:
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Philosoraptor)
    Well it's illegal to be drunk in a public place !!! (Licensing Act 1872) - imagine if they actually enforced that :rofl:
    Apparently it's a bylaw in my village that means every boy between 13-18 is required by law to practice archery on the church grounds for an hour every sunday. Haha.

ReputationRep:
    The number one thing i have achieved this first semester, is the ability to spell diarrhoea properly without having to think about it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beska)
    Apparently it's a bylaw in my village that means every boy between 13-18 is required by law to practice archery on the church grounds for an hour every sunday. Haha.
    I thought this was the law for every boy/man in the country?

Ah you have got to love the old defunct laws. Check out some of them from the USA, they are even funnier; example: In Illinois, it is illegal for anyone to give lighted cigars to dogs, cats, and other domesticated animal kept as pets. :rofl:
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rumandraisin)
    I thought this was the law for every boy/man in the country?

Ah you have got to love the old defunct laws. Check out some of them from the USA, they are even funnier; example: In Illinois, it is illegal for anyone to give lighted cigars to dogs, cats, and other domesticated animal kept as pets. :rofl:
    Is it? Oh, in which case that's even more ridiculous...!

Why don't they just scrap them?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beska)
    Is it? Oh, in which case that's even more ridiculous...!

Why don't they just scrap them?
    It is very useful to have law that everyone has broken
    • PS Helper

I hate neuro and we have barely even started it Does anyone know of any good books that would help with the basics/neuro in general? Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    Happy birthday! Have a good day

If I'd done a shorter course and not had a gap year (and actually got a training job...) I'd be a reg by now :s:
    I could be an ST/CT2. Damn that gap year, that foundation year, that intercalated year...

I was older than all of my SHO's on my last job.

26 isn't old. 27 definitely isn't old.

ReputationRep:
    Tbh, when you're 80 (as most patients are), there's not much difference between a 22 and a 26 year old.
    And half of them will think you're a nurse anyway.
    See I never get that, and doctors mistake me for an SHO and at one point a Reg (!)
    I don't think I look old either...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by billet-doux)
    I hate neuro and we have barely even started it Does anyone know of any good books that would help with the basics/neuro in general? Thank you!
    Fitzgerald's Clinical Neuroanatomy and Neuroscience often gives good explanations and has some really excellent diagrams. It's pretty detailed too in certain areas. Comfortably enough detail for my course, but I don't know how much is necessary at more science-heavy universities.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Any good online physiology references? Particularly cardiac? Library is closed tomorrow, and the books I thought would be useful for my work aren't :cry2:

ReputationRep:

I'll be 22 when I start work.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Becca-Sarah)
    I did read an interesting argument that if you wish to pay for private (medically unnecessary) surgery, you should also have to pay for private medical insurance to cover the complications of that surgery, such as removal. In the case of implants after mastectomy, then the NHS should certainly be doing the removal/replacement, but it isn't their place to fix botched private procedures. The company is bankrupt so there's no chance of reclaiming the costs. Apparently Nuffield hospitals are going to pay for removal for patients who had implants done with them, which sounds like the fairest option for the meantime.
    I applaud Nuffield for being such massive lads. I still think we ought to help these ladies if they are in pain and suffering over these implants. Removal but not replacement.

Also regarding insurance, I just see it as a private venture that went wrong , as can anything - biking, climbing, foreign travel , and that as tax payers we should throw 'em a bone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sarky)
    I could be an ST/CT2. Damn that gap year, that foundation year, that intercalated year...

I was older than all of my SHO's on my last job.

26 isn't old. 27 definitely isn't old.
    What's the difference between CT and ST? I used to be quite clued up on speciality training programmes but am pretty clueless about CT stuff and everything seems to be changing for applications in 2012

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.