Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Why do Arsenal fans get so bitter whenever a player leaves? Nobody else in the Premier League does it to the extent Arsenal fans do. I can understand it with Nasri because he only moved for the money and has repeatedly ****ged the club off since he left, but the others?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sr90)
    Why do Arsenal fans get so bitter whenever a player leaves? Nobody else in the Premier League does it to the extent Arsenal fans do. I can understand it with Nasri because he only moved for the money and has repeatedly ****ged the club off since he left, but the others?
    Because Arsenal are the noblest club in the land and any player who doesn't agree is scum who can't appreciate a good set of marble floors when they see it
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by manchesterunited15)
    Because Arsenal are the noblest club in the land and any player who doesn't agree is scum who can't appreciate a good set of marble floors when they see it
    This thread will be interesting when Welbeck has his first bad performance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sr90)
    This thread will be interesting when Welbeck has his first bad performance.

The slack will be on Wenger more so than Welbeck
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AR_95)
    The slack will be on Wenger more so than Welbeck
    Seen a few Arsenal fans who are still anti Wenger. Having seen whats happened to United since Ferguson left, surely Arsenal fans would fear the worst if he left? Whoever succeeds Wenger is going to have just as big a task imo, loads of players have said that he is the main reason they came to Arsenal and he has built that club up in the same way that Ferguson did. Plus, there are holes in the squad too. Your inability to recruit a DM sounds awfully familiar.

ReputationRep:
    The reason people notice our fans doing it more than other clubs is because for the past decade our best players have consistently left every year, with a large amount going to direct rivals. The feeling every year of our season's hopes and the fan's ambition for the club has been shot down with our star players walking away. Obviously they have every right to do so if they feel the club lacked ambition and quality but people often overlook how frustrating this was for our fans when we actually looked like we could push on with a title challenge. False hope was sold to us every year and every year the majority of our fans lapped it up so obviously when a star player left for pasture new they acted out in frustration and anger.

Man Utd, Liverpool, Man City and Chelsea have not had this problem recently so obviously their fans will not be as outspoken as ours during a period of sustained financial hinderance and a rebuidling process. If the Sheiks or Abramovic decided to pull the plug on their financial backing just watch how quickly Man City and Chelsea fans turn on the players that would leave in the mass exodus.

The one time I remember Man Utd letting a player go to a rival was Tevez and I remember a whole outcry from their fans about how he was scum. This was from a player who was treated poorly towards the end of his loan deal by the club and offered a new deal at the last minute in desperation.
    Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sr90)
    Seen a few Arsenal fans who are still anti Wenger. Having seen whats happened to United since Ferguson left, surely Arsenal fans would fear the worst if he left? Whoever succeeds Wenger is going to have just as big a task imo, loads of players have said that he is the main reason they came to Arsenal and he has built that club up in the same way that Ferguson did. Plus, there are holes in the squad too. Your inability to recruit a DM sounds awfully familiar.
    It's not inability though, it's Wenger's choice.

Wenger and AFC are sitting on cash reserves of £150m and have allowed them to build up over the last few years instead of spending them and closing the gap to the top teams. Another window goes and Arsenal underwhelm in a transfer window and fail to fix a glaring hole in their team.

What has limited Arsenal in recent times is Wenger and his tactics, and his transfer policy - Rodgers and Martinez have done greater or equivalent things with far worse squads, or players they've nurtured themselves in short amounts of time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sr90)
    tbf It's mostly the younger twitter generation who get really upset. Most of the old heads have accepted players leaving as a facet of Modern football.

It's understandable though. The most of the players in question left Arsenal in our transition. So it's seen as a betrayal when Wenger and Arsenal essentially made their career. Plus Arsenal before transition were, naturally, a top club so most of the time if you left us it meant you weren't good enough and the move was often a step down. Players wanted to be at Arsenal because we were constantly winning things. It does hurt seeing good players leave it reminded Arsenal fans we can't currently compete with the top dogs

I don't think it's only Arsenal fans though I remember last summer when Suarez
    released his Interview to the guardian. Liverpool fans were pretty much in uproar. They didn't the same when Gerrard was potentially leaving. Rooney received threats when talk of him moving to City pop up when he was valuable to Utd.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sr90)

There's no reason to feel we'd be in that same situation if Wenger does leave. Ferguson took UTD to great heights where as I and many other WOB's feel that Wenger is severely holding our club back. We're one of the richest clubs in Europe right now and yet he's failed to cover our gaps this window. Sure he's signed Welbeck who isn't a bad signing but we're still lacking any defensive cover or a DM. The tactics he's persisted with so far this season (and through last) have been poor and he's more focused on playing sideways ball (aka Wengerball) instead of using our pace to our advantage and our players in their right positions.

There's no actual inability to recruit a DM. The truth is Wenger was always planning on using Arteta as the main man this season and he's already admitted on doing so months before the window even opened. There really isn't much of a task for the next manager seeing as a lot of our players are young and of standard. Filling the holes of the squad would only take 2 or 3 at most signings which isn't hard either. You could say that the inability to recruit players is because of how much Wenger dithers in the window so it would be much better to have a manager who sees our problems and solves them directly (which is easily possible for us) instead of being the same "almost" club we have been for the past 9 or so years.

Wenger is basking in his old glory. Any other manager with the same record as Wenger these past 9 years would have been sacked.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Strange Fruitttt)
    It's not inability though, it's Wenger's choice.

Wenger and AFC are sitting on cash reserves of £150m and have allowed them to build up over the last few years instead of spending them and closing the gap to the top teams. Another window goes and Arsenal underwhelm in a transfer window and fail to fix a glaring hole in their team.

What has limited Arsenal in recent times is Wenger and his tactics, and his transfer policy - Rodgers and Martinez have done greater or equivalent things with far worse squads, or players they've nurtured themselves in short amounts of time.
    It was also Ferguson's choice with us. All this talk about there being no value in the market, a refusal to pay high agents fees and an over reliance on players he trusted. It's obvious that the interest payments/Glazernomics were affecting transfer funds, but if Fergie wanted to sign a midfielder he'd have brought one in.

(Original post by sevchenko)
    Rooney received threats when talk of him moving to City pop up when he was valuable to Utd.
    Think that was more down to his choice of club rather than the player himself. When there was talk of a move to Chelsea last summer, there was not anywhere near as much discontent. In fact one of the most popular threads on the Caf right now is ''was not selling Rooney a mistake?''.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sr90)
    It was also Ferguson's choice with us. All this talk about there being no value in the market, a refusal to pay high agents fees and an over reliance on players he trusted. It's obvious that the interest payments/Glazernomics were affecting transfer funds, but if Fergie wanted to sign a midfielder he'd have brought one in.
    The difference between Ferguson and Wenger wrt buying a midfielder is that Ferguson continued winning trophies, leagues and CLs, and got to two more finals, whilst he needed a CM.

But Wenger's Arsenal have been going through mediocrity in the position ever since Flamini left, and the team has stagnated massively (and arguably gotten even worse, given the repeated thrashings by their rivals last year).

So Ferguson chose because he believed (rightly) that he could make do without one, whereas Wenger is just stubborn because it's evident that he needs a DM, unless Wenger's ultimate aim is to merely finish in the top four. For a club of Arsenal's financial power, that aim, and Wenger's refusals to buy a DM, is just not good enough.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sr90)
    ****ing traitors of the Motherland.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sr90)
    Think that was more down to his choice of club rather than the player himself. When there was talk of a move to Chelsea last summer, there was not anywhere near as much discontent. In fact one of the most popular threads on the Caf right now is ''was not selling Rooney a mistake?''.
    At the time when the rumours came it was the 2010/11 season. The previous season Rooney had scored 34 goals he was still a key player for Utd at the time but yeah the fact that it was City played a part.

Utd fans don't seems to rate him as highly now hence why there was some acceptance of him going to Chelsea with 2 years to go on his contract for £20M+ at the age of 28 where it was looking like he's starting to regress.
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    Cesc is a good guy and I will never boo him, ever. Neither will I boo Clichy, Cole, Henry or Sagna. RvP and Nasri are a different story, because they were always mercenaries, even at Arsenal. I hope Cesc all the best, just as many United fans wish Welbeck all the best even though they hate Arsenal. I don't understand our bitterness to ex-players.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arkasia)
    Cesc is a good guy and I will never boo him, ever. Neither will I boo Clichy, Cole, Henry or Sagna. RvP and Nasri are a different story, because they were always mercenaries, even at Arsenal. I hope Cesc all the best, just as many United fans wish Welbeck all the best even though they hate Arsenal. I don't understand our bitterness to ex-players.
    He even paid 5 Mil from his own money to move to barca didn't he? He was sulking that last season and his body language was poor. Not once did he respond to all the tapping up by the barca lads. I understand if he is booed.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    YES.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    happy for gibbs.. hope he can stay fit this time.

Although monreal has been good (and offers benifits offesnivly..) I just feel much more confident with gibbs in the team
    • Arsenal FC Supporter

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by manchesterunited15)

(Original post by sr90)
    #Obsession

ReputationRep:
    Yes Gibbs!! I don't hate in monreal, but Gibbs defence is so much more reassuring.
    • Arsenal FC Supporter

ReputationRep:
    Netherlands lost to Czech
    Happy for Rosicky I guess though.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: September 22, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.