Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by The Shed End)
    Piers is #salty
    Are there any Arsenal players he actually appreciates? Worst bloke in England. If he wanted to shake my hand, I'd refuse like Ramsey did.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SA-1)
    Thing with the spurs game is you were never expecting spurs to win like that, it was all a shock. That and Cahill and Ivanovic didn't exactly do a good job. Forgot who it was, either Souness or Carrigher but one of them said that it's not just how Mourinho plays defensively that's done the job, it's him having the best defence in the league at his disposal - which is pretty much spot on. On top of that you got Courtious in goal and Matic sitting in front of that defence so it's no surprise hardly anyone has been capable of breaking that defence.
    It's not, at all though. He has the best back 6, but the disparity between most teams conceding 5 shots on target and Jose regularly conceding 0 or 1 in the big games doesn't account for that at all.

Mourinho has made his career, (one of) the best managerial career(s) in history, through defensive organisation, coaching and rigidity. His Porto team were, according to Michael Cox, the best defensively drilled team of the decade. Likewise, beating Pep's Barcelona at their peak en route to winning the treble for Inter was another display of his amazing ability to forge watertight defences. With Chelsea first time, the tightest defence in PL history, and an even better defence that eased off the gas in his second season. Make no mistake, Jose is at the heart of Chelsea's greatness.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kim-Jong-Illest)
    Yeah this basically, our team lacked the creativity that we've seen recently and it didn't help that Terry had the best of our attack because it meant we couldnt hold anything up there but I preferred it to our usual naive approach where we would have got sliced on the counter. Tried too hard not to concede rather than to score and when we did try and up the tempo they were expert at killing it again. Wouldn't have minded if they played with Costa/Remy, maybe the game would have been more open. Also would have preferred Wilshere to come on instead of Walcott who was never going to get behind the defense, especially with the likes of Terry there and Ozil/Cazorla not being on point creativity wise.
    I agree. 0-0 for Arsenal was a much better result than risking the inevitable typical Mourinho 1-0 counter attack win. Advanced fullbacks were one of the, if not the main, defensive issue in the big games last year for you.

Ozil was alright I felt, Cazorla a bit nullified.

ReputationRep:
    CHELSEA!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jamiesonn)
    Nah mate Hazard has out performed Sanchez this season just deal with it. You can bring up stats all you want football is not a science. I know who I'd rather have in my side.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    My point is about Sanchez being fourth, I agree Hazards consistency to change games edges him to win the poty however he is not far behind and deserves a minimum of 3rd otherwise 2nd since it is his 1st season.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pimped Butterfly)
    x
    Fair enough - question for you though.

Would you want your team to be successful like Chelsea have been recently, with the Mou [widely considered to be negative] style?

ReputationRep:
    Hazard v Alexis is like Messi v Ronaldo.

Hazard being Messi of course.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SA-1)
    Fair enough - question for you though.

Would you want your team to be successful like Chelsea have been recently, with the Mou [widely considered to be negative] style?
    They played champagne football in the first half of the campaign. Then Fabregas and Costa dipped, and Mourinho got them grinding.

Even if it was grinding for the whole season, yes. Generally, success > everything.

ReputationRep:
    Wouldn't say champagne football but it was decent football more like. We play high intensity for 20-30mins then we went to that energy conserving football after we got our goals in the first half. Teams realised that we'll try a high intensity game middle of the first half so they just bus parked from the offset like Southampton and Sunderland did.

Since then Mourinho has just been adapting to find ways to win a game without using too much energy, which gives us the appearance of being grinders, i.e. the high focus on attacking set pieces, the slow transition play, pushing the wingers deep and congesting the middle whenever the players do get into space rather than using width.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jgco2chem)
    My point is about Sanchez being fourth, I agree Hazards consistency to change games edges him to win the poty however he is not far behind and deserves a minimum of 3rd otherwise 2nd since it is his 1st season.
    Sanchez has been good but has faded away over the past dozen games, it's the same reason Cesc and Eriksen have been ignored in favour of Coutinho. Sanchez has been brilliant, yes, but 4th is about right. Hazard has been the best player in the title-winning team, and whilst Costa has had more goals, Cesc has had more assists, Courtois has been amazing, and Terry has been a wall, Hazard is undeniably the crucial component of Chelsea's squad. Kane has had an unbelievable season for a 21 year old, and managed to drag that Tottenham squad out of mediocrity, rather like Bale. De Gea saved United's top 4 aspirations, and has been the most influential goalkeeper this season. Sanchez deserves 4th, no higher.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think Coutinho deserves anything really, people have let Brazilian flair blind them. Cesc and Sigurdsson deserve some recognition

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sevchenko)
    I don't think Coutinho deserves anything really, people have let Brazilian flair blind them. Cesc and Sigurdsson deserve some recognition
    Deserves it, yeah, but no chance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pimped Butterfly)
    They played champagne football in the first half of the campaign. Then Fabregas and Costa dipped, and Mourinho got them grinding.

Even if it was grinding for the whole season, yes. Generally, success > everything.
    Except if every team played like Chelsea's second half of the campaign style, no one would watch football. I'd rather watch paint dry than see a MOTD highlights of team after team parking the bus.

ReputationRep:
    Both teams parking the bus = 0-0 with 0 shots on target [don't think that's ever happened before]

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pete_91)
    Except if every team played like Chelsea's second half of the campaign style, no one would watch football. I'd rather watch paint dry than see a MOTD highlights of team after team parking the bus.
    Arsenal traditionally employed defensive tactics, it was Spurs who was traditionally associated with fancy football but Arsenal found alot of success with a defensive style. We were famous for regular 1-0 wins. We'd go one up and park the bus for the rest of the match hence the chant "one nil to the Arsenal". It was really the epitome of classic English football at the time.

Let's not forget we went to Anfield in 89' and snatched the league title from under their noses with a classic smash and grab.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pete_91)
    Meh you guys didn't help the situation with your run and cross tactic...

ReputationRep:
    rumours of city bidding 30m for wilshire..

Would you take it? (if at all true)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fallen_acorns)

no substance. City can't continue spending £30m each on players every year and we've seen how their signings are usually one season wonders

ReputationRep:

Yes, he'll just sit the season out injured anyway

ReputationRep:

No. Wilshere has another 10 years in him, and his potential is still unbelievable. 30m for one of England's best midfielders at only his age would be a steal.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: May 12, 2015
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.