Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mr tim)
    Palace submit improved offer for Benteke. £27m + add-ons which will get to £31.5m.
    Too quick - I was about to post that.

Tbh I would accept that bid rather than drag it out. What's the point in having Benteke come back to pre-season to try and get a few more million from C.Palace? Let the player leave before upsetting people + CP will be happy to get the player in as soon as possible for pre-season.

Would mean we've pretty much recouped what we spent - around Xmas I was thinking we'd be lucky to get £15-20mil!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zerforax)
    Too quick - I was about to post that.

Tbh I would accept that bid rather than drag it out. What's the point in having Benteke come back to pre-season to try and get a few more million from C.Palace? Let the player leave before upsetting people + CP will be happy to get the player in as soon as possible for pre-season.

Would mean we've pretty much recouped what we spent - around Xmas I was thinking we'd be lucky to get £15-20mil!
    I think the club will accept the offer tbh.
    Gets us nearly everything we spent back even though Benteke had a terrible season.

Frees up wages too and makes it so that we "effectively" spent nothing on Mané
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    It's clear footballers are worth different amounts to different clubs. Benteke is undoubtedly a £30m player for a team like Villa, or Palace. He'll win them points on his own. It's a shame he didn't work out, but if he leaves after a solitary season, he's not the biggest transfer mistake we've ever made. He won us numerous points over the course of the season by grabbing the only goal of the game.

ReputationRep:
    Wonder if rumours of us going in for Pjaca are true - he looked absolutely dynamite for Croatia.

Needs to work on his composure a little but he breezes past players as easily as Coutinho does.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by SUGar Daddy)
    - still see a chance of both Gotze and Dahoud; playing hardball isn't in Gotze's interests or Gladbach's (given he won't sign a contract and they'll lose him for 10m next summer otherwise)
    The issue with the Dahoud transfer could be Gladbach being (understandably) unwilling to let go of three of their best midfielders, and even players, in one window. Doing so would hardly be promising PR for them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mackay)
    The issue with the Dahoud transfer could be Gladbach being (understandably) unwilling to let go of three of their best midfielders, and even players, in one window. Doing so would hardly be promising PR for them.
    Nordtveit plays CB mainly and they've already brought in a World Cup winner to replace Xhaka.

Gladbach seem to be in good financial health but a 30m bid is more than a quarter of their last reported revenue. They've had a new TV deal and reached CL since then but we're talking their equivalent of us selling Coutinho for 80m. That's a lot of money for a player in his penultimate year, who'll see his value drop 50% or more next year.

ReputationRep:
    Nordtveit plays CB mainly and they've already brought in a World Cup winner to replace Xhaka.

Gladbach seem to be in good financial health but a 30m bid is more than a quarter of their last reported revenue. They've had a new TV deal and reached CL since then but we're talking their equivalent of us selling Coutinho for 80m. That's a lot of money for a player in his penultimate year, who'll see his value drop 50% or more next year.
    Welcome back? Unless I missed another account.

I wonder if Gladbach think they can convince Dahoud to sign a new contract? He must be on very low wages and they'll pitch it as - "we'll give you a new contract with a release clause so you can go next summer but use one more season of development where we will have you play every game and you could have an even bigger move".

ReputationRep:
    Welcome back? Unless I missed another account.

I wonder if Gladbach think they can convince Dahoud to sign a new contract? He must be on very low wages and they'll pitch it as - "we'll give you a new contract with a release clause so you can go next summer but use one more season of development where we will have you play every game and you could have an even bigger move".
    Thanks, and no I've been busy with work.

Honestly I don't see why he'd sign it - they're in no position to run his contract down till he's free like Lewa. They can't play hardball.

I'm not sure what bigger move is even available for him - he's had a great 12 months but it would take an even greater rise for any of Europe's top table to move for him, and even then it's unlikely given their stacked CMs. Which means he'll only be in the sights of the likes of us, Dortmund, United, Chelsea, maybe a Spanish team or two or Pep's City. Without going too deep into it, I think Dortmund are the only credible other suitors. They might reveal a long term interest in him next summer or something. Other than them, the path to LFC is straightforward.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, and no I've been busy with work.

Honestly I don't see why he'd sign it - they're in no position to run his contract down till he's free like Lewa. They can't play hardball.

I'm not sure what bigger move is even available for him - he's had a great 12 months but it would take an even greater rise for any of Europe's top table to move for him, and even then it's unlikely given their stacked CMs. Which means he'll only be in the sights of the likes of us, Dortmund, United, Chelsea, maybe a Spanish team or two or Pep's City. Without going too deep into it, I think Dortmund are the only credible other suitors. They might reveal a long term interest in him next summer or something. Other than them, the path to LFC is straightforward.
    You don't often see young players run down their contracts. Not sure what the reason is - perhaps they want financial certainty + guaranteed playing time since they are so young/early in their careers?

Gladbach obviously wouldn't but in theory a club refusing to play a young player can do a lot more harm to them - look at Berahino (although it's not been terrible for him). 2 years is a long time to try and run down a contract for a youngster.

I don't think you can always ignore how long a young player has been at a club. Dahoud has been at Gladbach for 6 years now so he might not want to stab the club in the back?

I think it's been reported that Dahoud has rejected a new contract so maybe we'll see more movement in a month or so.

ReputationRep:
    You don't often see young players run down their contracts. Not sure what the reason is - perhaps they want financial certainty + guaranteed playing time since they are so young/early in their careers?

Gladbach obviously wouldn't but in theory a club refusing to play a young player can do a lot more harm to them - look at Berahino (although it's not been terrible for him). 2 years is a long time to try and run down a contract for a youngster.
    Well, the reason is more that young players get offered their first professional contract at 17/18 and usually it's for 3-5 years. Then when they progress into the first team, they get offered an extension pretty quickly (Sterling in December 2012, eg). Normally players accept the extension because of the pay rise, Sterling went from something like 5k to 35k a week; it's a natural decision to sign it, financial reasons as you mentioned. Ibe got his contract in May last year, after breaking into the team in February. Dahoud, for whatever reason, doesn't have that second contract. In England the only reason to run them down is if you want slightly more flexibility about your next move (at the cost of short term monetary loss), ie Sinclair, because of compensation rules.

Dahoud wouldn't have to run it down - Gladbach would blink first. It's too much money for them to turn down.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Sevilla and Nice interested in Luis Alberto - we're demanding £7m for him.

ReputationRep:
    Well, the reason is more that young players get offered their first professional contract at 17/18 and usually it's for 3-5 years. Then when they progress into the first team, they get offered an extension pretty quickly (Sterling in December 2012, eg). Normally players accept the extension because of the pay rise, Sterling went from something like 5k to 35k a week; it's a natural decision to sign it, financial reasons as you mentioned. Ibe got his contract in May last year, after breaking into the team in February. Dahoud, for whatever reason, doesn't have that second contract. In England the only reason to run them down is if you want slightly more flexibility about your next move (at the cost of short term monetary loss), ie Sinclair, because of compensation rules.

Dahoud wouldn't have to run it down - Gladbach would blink first. It's too much money for them to turn down.
    Tbh Dahoud would probably still go for £20-30mil next summer if he performs again. Yes he'd only have a year left but you'd probably have more clubs interested and therefore price remains high. Look at Mkhitaryan still going for a lot of money even if he only has a year left.

The club must agree with your outlook though since we still seem to be holding out for Dahoud?

(Original post by mr tim)
    Sevilla and Nice interested in Luis Alberto - we're demanding £7m for him.
    Also Norwich City have had a £2.5m bid accepted by Liverpool for winger Sergi Canos.

ReputationRep:
    Tbh Dahoud would probably still go for £20-30mil next summer if he performs again. Yes he'd only have a year left but you'd probably have more clubs interested and therefore price remains high. Look at Mkhitaryan still going for a lot of money even if he only has a year left.

The club must agree with your outlook though since we still seem to be holding out for Dahoud?
    Well, I think £30m for Dahoud next year is unreasonable. Mkhitaryan is a proven European performer and probably had the best season of any playmaker in Europe last year. He's cut it for a big club, just come off a 18 goal, 20 assist season, is just entering his prime years, went to the most notorious over-spenders (other than us) and only went for £26m.

They'd be lucky to get £15m next summer for Dahoud based off that.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Luis Alberto's future clearly lies in Spain. If we can get that price for him, I'd be snatching their hands off. He's clearly a very good technical footballer - and midfielders like him will always fetch fees, based purely on the perception of his style - but he severely lacks the pace to succeed in the PL.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Sakho's drugs test hearing set for Thursday.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Klopp offered a new contract by FSG.

EDT: More of a long term stability than a pay rise.

ReputationRep:
    contracts dont mean anything. remember when we extended rodgers' contract?

ReputationRep:
    Bournemouth have a £15 million bid accepted for Ibe!

ReputationRep:
    Good fee for a limited player. Maybe it will shut up people thinking Mane was expensive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The.Joker)
    Bournemouth have a £15 million bid accepted for Ibe!
    WOW that's a lot!

Scenes when we sell Allen for less

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.