The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 8380
how good is Manchester for economics straight degree? ?
Reply 8381
Original post by viksta1000
before I came to Kings people on here warned me that it would be very difficult with it not being a target uni to break into IB, but after my first year here I can say its total *******s...there are sooooo many firms that come and visit our campus who have ties with KCLBC (business club) and KCLFS (Finance Society), and workshops from firms on an almost daily-basis on how to break into IB

I think KCLs reputation in regards to breaking into IB is steadily improving, after all, our Business Management course is only a few years old, but its now slowly getting recognition :biggrin:

From my spring weeks, summer internship and many, many interviews; I don't think I've ever met anyone from KCL, maybe 1 person possibly. #justsayin'
Original post by a_mashru88
Most top IBs have 3 sets of unis:

1. Ones that they actively recruit from (so do campus visits etc.).

2. Ones that they are happy to select from (top 30)

3. Ones that they will, with the odd exception, straight away reject.

I think none of those unis fit into the last category, and most firms would put those unis into their first category.

LSE and UCL would go into the first group. Campus visits by large don't mean much, its individual employer presentations through the course of the year, which signals that they are really interested. King's imo would be in the second catergory, judging by the figures that make it into IB from there.

Out of interest why have you rated King's above UCL? in your previous post.
Original post by Tsunami2011
LSE and UCL would go into the first group. Campus visits by large don't mean much, its individual employer presentations through the course of the year, which signals that they are really interested. King's imo would be in the second catergory, judging by the figures that make it into IB from there.

Out of interest why have you rated King's above UCL? in your previous post.

As a uni, I would almost always put UCL above King's. The reason I didn't earlier is because of the specific courses mentioned. I know people who've done those courses at the respective unis, and the King's Business Management ones have all gone into banking/consultancy, whereas none of the UCL Information Management ones have. That said, it's also probably a lot to do with what they were interested in too. To be honest, a good degree from either of those unis would put someone in a very good position when applying to jobs, regardless of the course.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by a_mashru88
As a uni, I would almost always put UCL above King's. The reason I didn't earlier is because of the specific courses mentioned. I know people who've done those courses at the respective unis, and the King's Business Management ones have all gone into banking/consultancy, whereas none of the UCL Information Management ones have. That said, it's also probably a lot to do with what they were interested in too. To be honest, a good degree from either of those unis would put someone in a very good position when applying to jobs, regardless of the course.

I think your second statement is the main reason you don't see more IMB graduates in IB. Most just don't want to. For what it's worth I know quite a few people who are in IB after IMB at UCL. (Admittedly it's nowhere near in the same league as econ etc but it does have a few)
Reply 8385
How is Queen Mary rated for its straight Economics course? Having recently become a Russell Group uni, it could gain prestige in years to come.

And how would you compare it to Industrial Economics BA at Nottingham? In terms of job prospects.
Thinking ahead to next year, is it possible to get a spring week with a PPE degree from somewhere like Warwick? Or am I wasting my time?

I am asking more because of the degree rather than the university.
Reply 8387
Original post by Deep456
Thinking ahead to next year, is it possible to get a spring week with a PPE degree from somewhere like Warwick? Or am I wasting my time?

I am asking more because of the degree rather than the university.

it is perfect
For future reference, if anyone asks "Is it possible to get into IB/get a spring week with [non-quant] degree?", I'm doing Law at Cambridge and have a GS SW.
Reply 8389
Original post by V10
How is Queen Mary rated for its straight Economics course? Having recently become a Russell Group uni, it could gain prestige in years to come.

And how would you compare it to Industrial Economics BA at Nottingham? In terms of job prospects.

No.

RG means nothing per se, is a group based on mere size. Yes they get more research funding simply cause of .... their size, bigger you are more you get.

Says nought about the quality of teaching, in fact, in many cases it gets WORSE, what would you prefer:

130:1 lecture or 60:1 - no brainer, yet that is exactly what is going on in many so called RG universities.

Anyway what is so good about Newcastle, Cardiff, QUB, Liverpool, Sheffield, Manchester, Notts ?

In no way are they target for IBs, don't let some people BS you with ' semi target '. No such thing , either you are or you are not.

They all have huge classes in places that aren't the best locations for anything less you place a high value in getting pissed and seeing the Happy Mondays every fortnight.

I AM @ B'ham now and the core modules have 130:1 yes repeat 130:1.

End of the day you should do what you want and ignore everyone.

:s-smilie: I guess.
Original post by Alpha5
Nice one, But you are at Cambridge, I think that may have played a little part. What would you guys say about Accounting and Finance at LSE? Could I get markets/S&T internships and spring weeks? Thanks.

You make that comment about Doughnuts!! being at Cambridge aiding his spring week app, and then go on to ask about A & F at LSE! Its more then fine,
Original post by Alpha5
Nice one, But you are at Cambridge, I think that may have played a little part. What would you guys say about Accounting and Finance at LSE? Could I get markets/S&T internships and spring weeks? Thanks.

How the hell can someone say behind a computer screen?
Reply 8392
Original post by Txi
No.

RG means nothing per se, is a group based on mere size. Yes they get more research funding simply cause of .... their size, bigger you are more you get.

Says nought about the quality of teaching, in fact, in many cases it gets WORSE, what would you prefer:

130:1 lecture or 60:1 - no brainer, yet that is exactly what is going on in many so called RG universities.

Anyway what is so good about Newcastle, Cardiff, QUB, Liverpool, Sheffield, Manchester, Notts ?

In no way are they target for IBs, don't let some people BS you with ' semi target '. No such thing , either you are or you are not.

They all have huge classes in places that aren't the best locations for anything less you place a high value in getting pissed and seeing the Happy Mondays every fortnight.

I AM @ B'ham now and the core modules have 130:1 yes repeat 130:1.

End of the day you should do what you want and ignore everyone.

:s-smilie: I guess.

What course are you studying?
Reply 8393
Original post by Hackett
How the hell can someone say behind a computer screen?

Sorry, I didn't mean it that way. All I was saying is that just being at Cambridge probably helped a lot after all it was ranked #1 in the world!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 8394
Original post by cat_cat
What course are you studying?

mbf and you ?
Reply 8395
Original post by Txi
mbf and you ?

I'm not there yet but its my firm choice for this year entry to study economics and planning
Ha, did that Alpha guy delete his post? The Cambridge thing doesn't have as large a part as many people think. I know tons of incredibly smart Cambridge Economists (the ones you'd expect to be strolling into SWs) who got no SWs at all/were rejected after interview.

I have no idea why since a lot of them had incredibly strong applications but it does show that the whole "Oxbridge helps massively" stereotype isn't true. Yes, it may have a small effect, but all the applicants from other top unis (LSE/UCL etc) will have equally strong- if not stronger- applications.

EDIT:
Original post by Alpha5
Sorry, I didn't mean it that way. All I was saying is that just being at Cambridge probably helped a lot after all it was ranked #1 in the world!

Quoting you in this so that you can see.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Txi
mbf and you ?

I have firmed MBF at Birmingham... do you know any mbf graduates who got into IB?
Reply 8398
Original post by panda1093
I have firmed MBF at Birmingham... do you know any mbf graduates who got into IB?

Nope

Not a TS
Reply 8399
Original post by cat_cat
I'm not there yet but its my firm choice for this year entry to study economics and planning

what were your other choices ?

Latest

Trending

Trending