Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by neils_h)
    Got my PPE interview offer at St Edmund Hall last night! Is anyone else going?
    St Edmund interviewee here! but for History and Politics instead. Doesn't seem to be many Teddy Hall people on TSR...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kjh980215)
    Thanks my friend, first of all i made an open application, then i got an email from admission team that my application had gone to Exeter College after 1week later i applied, however this Monday i received an email that now i have an interview in Corpus Christi College. Hope this helps
    Thanks friend. Good luck with your interview.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ylmdk)
    Is knowledge of Calculus required for Economics interview?
    For the British people who have studied A level mathematics, most will be confident with calculus - differentiation and integration. So I'd perhaps reccomend brushing up on it.

However, they do emphasise that the interviews aren't a test of knowledge, but your suitability to learn at Oxford! So if it does come up in interview, try your hardest and let them know you haven't covered it - it shouldn't hinder you.

ReputationRep:
    how are people preparing for their law interviews?????

ReputationRep:
    Anyone applying to mathematics and computer science ?? My MAT is about 50 and I still have not got the interview offer yet.

My college : st hugh ....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tommylassafunny)
    Anyone applying to mathematics and computer science ?? My MAT is about 50 and I still have not got the interview offer yet.

How can you know the MAT score? Or is that just an estimate?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by canboys)
    How can you know the MAT score? Or is that just an estimate?
    I said "about". Did you get the interview?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fs1)
    how are people preparing for their law interviews?????
    Currently my priority is finishing the books that I said I've read in my PS... But then I'll just be making sure I have ideas for the 'warm up questions' such as 'Why Oxford?', 'Why Law?' Etc. I listened to the law podcast the other day and the tutors said that they don't particularly like it when applicants have learnt things off by heart, but those questions are meant to be a gentle introduction to the interview so make sure they won't fluster you straight away

ReputationRep:
    I said "about". Did you get the interview?
    Ah, silly me I often misread things. I feel I probably got about the same.

No I haven't got one. I haven't heard anything back yet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by canboys)
    Ah, silly me I often misread things. I feel I probably got about the same.

No I haven't got one. I haven't heard anything back yet.
    isn't it the worst feeling ever? Like desperately waiting for the interview offer when the truth is even thought you get it, you might not even get accepted

I regret not taking MC questions seriously.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jeteesha)
    I've applied for E&M at Trinity too
    Have not yet received any reply
    I've applied to Trinity for PPE, I saw the post but also haven't received anything. I believe it may be up from last year, or it's simply a delay. I'm going to call them tomorrow, I'd suggest you do the same. Best of luck!

ReputationRep:
    I've applied for Human Sciences at Wadham and it says on their website that they've sent decisions via email but I've received nothing!!!!!!!!!

ReputationRep:

Most people applying to St Hugh's haven't heard a reply from them yet, they'll probably end up sending out invitations later this week

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CJaneH)
    Currently my priority is finishing the books that I said I've read in my PS... But then I'll just be making sure I have ideas for the 'warm up questions' such as 'Why Oxford?', 'Why Law?' Etc. I listened to the law podcast the other day and the tutors said that they don't particularly like it when applicants have learnt things off by heart, but those questions are meant to be a gentle introduction to the interview so make sure they won't fluster you straight away
    I didn't mention any law books in my PS... just a short pdf I read online.

Is it bad that I've read no law books?

I'm not articulate argh i'm so nervous I'm going to mess up talking

Plus my head of year already kinda mentioned to me that I'm not answering practice Qs in a sensible way. How would you recommend answering any Qs they give?

ReputationRep:
    Hi people

For those of you worrying about interviews, the main advice I can give is rather counter-intuitive, but it is to try not to worry about them. I know exactly how nerve-wracking it feels to be waiting to hear back about an interview invitation, and then starting to think about how you can prepare, but in all honesty you'll probably be much more relaxed if you just enjoy your stay in Oxford. By all means, go over your personal statement and think about things like why you like the course, but don't try and 'revise' or prepare answers to questions which might come up, because every interview is completely different and tutors want to see how you respond to new ideas. Also, if you happen to see any stories about particularly difficult-sounding questions which people have been asked in interviews before, don't pay attention to them: such questions would only make sense in the context of the interview they were asked in, which is why they might look tricky when someone tells you about them out of context afterwards.

I will probably post other things about interviews soon; if anyone has any particular questions, please don't hesitate to ask - I will try my best to answer, although it must be said that all interviews are unique, so the experience changes a lot from person to person.

I am a first year student of French and Philosophy at St John's

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fs1)
    I didn't mention any law books in my PS... just a short pdf I read online.

Is it bad that I've read no law books?

I'm not articulate argh i'm so nervous I'm going to mess up talking

Plus my head of year already kinda mentioned to me that I'm not answering practice Qs in a sensible way. How would you recommend answering any Qs they give?
    Of course it's not bad, if you've got an interview then you're just as good as all the other interviewees, regardless of what books you have or haven't read. If you're really really nervous I'd recommend taking some tablets or using a spray like rescue remedy just to calm yourself down on the day. I haven't had a mock interview yet, (I've got one on Tuesday) but I'm just trying to make sure that whilst my answers are relevant to Oxford and the Jurisprudence course, that they don't sound overdone or fake. Everyone wants to go to Oxford at least partly because of its reputation but you need to have a more personal answer. Btw, which college is interviewing you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danniegee)
    Hi people

For those of you worrying about interviews, the main advice I can give is rather counter-intuitive, but it is to try not to worry about them. I know exactly how nerve-wracking it feels to be waiting to hear back about an interview invitation, and then starting to think about how you can prepare, but in all honesty you'll probably be much more relaxed if you just enjoy your stay in Oxford. By all means, go over your personal statement and think about things like why you like the course, but don't try and 'revise' or prepare answers to questions which might come up, because every interview is completely different and tutors want to see how you respond to new ideas. Also, if you happen to see any stories about particularly difficult-sounding questions which people have been asked in interviews before, don't pay attention to them: such questions would only make sense in the context of the interview they were asked in, which is why they might look tricky when someone tells you about them out of context afterwards.

I will probably post other things about interviews soon; if anyone has any particular questions, please don't hesitate to ask - I will try my best to answer, although it must be said that all interviews are unique, so the experience changes a lot from person to person.

Thank you for this post, makes me feel a bit more at ease than before.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danniegee)
    Hi people

Hi! I have a law interview next week, and I'm wondering how intense the interviews are? Such as did all the tutors sit and stare at you when you were talking, or did the interview have a more relaxed, conversation type of feel? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CJaneH)
    Hi! I have a law interview next week, and I'm wondering how intense the interviews are? Such as did all the tutors sit and stare at you when you were talking, or did the interview have a more relaxed, conversation type of feel? Thanks
    Hey!

So I think that the intensity of your interviews completely depends on how you approach them - it's funny, because for my French interview, for example, I had three tutors all listening closely to what I said, but because I'd gone in thinking "Ah well, just enjoy it whilst you're here", I didn't find that this put me off or made me more nervous. I actually thought it was amazing to have three incredibly intelligent people taking what I said seriously! Both interviews were conversational in the fact that they took more of a discussion format rather than an interrogation, and again, I think that it helps if you're relaxed, because this means that the tutors are able to develop a conversation with you rather than just ask you a bunch of disjointed questions. Of course, it's totally normal to feel nervous, so don't be thinking "Oh no, I don't feel relaxed, I'm going to find this hard" or anything like that - it's absolutely fine (and ordinary) to be anxious, but just try to go in thinking "Yeah, this is going to be a great academic experience!". Enjoying the interviews as an end in themselves really helped me Hope this helps

Best of luck!

Extra point: in my Philosophy interview, I actually ended up asking one of the tutors "Hmm...what do you think?" - I felt silly once I'd said it, but looking back, I think it was a sign that my interview did end up feeling like more of a discussion than a Q&A session!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by magic_is_might)
    St Edmund interviewee here! but for History and Politics instead. Doesn't seem to be many Teddy Hall people on TSR...
    Teddy Hall guy here! Do you know if they email out rejections as well? Interview is nine days away and waiting is starting to get stressful lol

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.