Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princepieman)
    This is so true and extremely ironic, in my prelim my definitions were correct but did not fit the mark scheme. It cost me 13 marks bringing my grade from 85% (A band 1) to 72% (A band 2).

Posted from TSR Mobile
    (Original post by MangoFreak)
    Super fun happy times when you lose marks for not stating something that was stated in the question to begin with
    It's extremely stupid. The A-Level exams should be harder but the mark schemes should be more lenient.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Red Fox)
    It's extremely stupid. The A-Level exams should be harder but the mark schemes should be more lenient.
    Hey I don't want to actually have to start working

ReputationRep:
    So you guys are going over past papers then?Nontextbook revision?

ReputationRep:
    Hey I don't want to actually have to start working
    That is true, but at least it might actually make it interesting.

ReputationRep:
    That is true, but at least it might actually make it interesting.
    It would mean, of course, that if you have poor teachers you're really ****ed, and I wouldn't want to test that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Skill Twix)
    I'm looking at the syllabus and spamming past papers. At the end of the day you are sitting an exam that wants anal answers, not necessarily an exam that wants you to regurgitate a textbook

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    So far I'm still trying to go over notes, make some notes, etc

Once I'm done then it'll be non-stop pastpapers
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    What does everyone think of my revision method?
    Learn the definitions,formulaes and some facts
    Understand the rest.
    This is for Physics and Economics though
    Mostly making notes for Chem and Phys and then doing past papers
    Past papers only for FM. I'll start revision for normal maths a week before the exam itself.

ReputationRep:
    I stopped taking notes this year, maybe I shouldn't have?

ReputationRep:
    I stopped taking notes this year, maybe I shouldn't have?
    I've never made notes in class :lol:

Except maths where we have to copy from board, and even then I skip lots

Actually even out of class! Last year I did for one exam in half term, Biology unit 2, but other than that, never

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L'Evil Fish)

Actually even out of class! Last year I did for one exam in half term, Biology unit 2, but other than that, never
    One of my teachers will make us copy the textbook for homework, then in lessons set us questions in exam conditions then we have to mark each others work with the mark scheme projected on the board. Meanwhile they get to sit on their arse for a couple of hours.

Other than that I never make notes.

ReputationRep:

Your memory must be A+ I forget everything if I don't write it down haha
    Also I think we'd get in trouble if we didn't make notes during lesson lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    One of my teachers will make us copy the textbook for homework, then in lessons set us questions in exam conditions then we have to mark each others work with the mark scheme projected on the board. Meanwhile they get to sit on their arse for a couple of hours.

Other than that I never make notes.
    Teacher mentioned below likes making us (or tries to anyway) read the textbook and answer questions but nah

I think notes are useful if you actually write them, j cba lol
    (Original post by cerlohee)
    Your memory must be A+ I forget everything if I don't write it down haha
    Also I think we'd get in trouble if we didn't make notes during lesson lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Lol I have one teacher who will tell me to work, and I can just say no :mmm: and I won't have to do anything.

ReputationRep:
    How are you all planning to make notes next year at university? Because there are no revision guides around or anything... Not sure what I'm going to do haha!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Clockwork Apple)
    Mostly making notes for Chem and Phys and then doing past papers
    Past papers only for FM. I'll start revision for normal maths a week before the exam itself.
    Are you done with normal maths?I'd suggest you to use Examsolutions.net for revision.Do you do M1,M2,S1 or S2?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _Caz_)
    How are you all planning to make notes next year at university? Because there are no revision guides around or anything... Not sure what I'm going to do haha!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I thought about this too... I'll aim for 100% lecture attendance and focus in them, probably. And I'm sure university courses will have syllabuses of some sort... Apart from that, time in the library learning from books is probably a good idea

ReputationRep:
    Teacher mentioned below likes making us (or tries to anyway) read the textbook and answer questions but nah

I think notes are useful if you actually write them, j cba lol

Lol I have one teacher who will tell me to work, and I can just say no :mmm: and I won't have to do anything.
    Haha you absolute badass :lol:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bude8)
    I thought about this too... I'll aim for 100% lecture attendance and focus in them, probably. And I'm sure university courses will have syllabuses of some sort... Apart from that, time in the library learning from books is probably a good idea
    I'm a slow writer (especially at the moment with this bad hand) so I might have to shorten all my words down so between would become 'btwn' and stuff like that. Then maybe expand the notes after lectures. I have a dictaphone pen which I'm going to try and use as well although it didn't work well for a levels - the classes are too noisy!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _Caz_)
    I'm a slow writer (especially at the moment with this bad hand) so I might have to shorten all my words down so between would become 'btwn' and stuff like that. Then maybe expand the notes after lectures. I have a dictaphone pen as well which I'm going to try and use as well although it didn't work well for a levels - the classes are too noisy!
    Hope your hand has a speedy recovery! Oh yeah, abbreviations are great In Economics for example I write down 'q.o.l' for 'quality of living', phrases that come up a lot etc. Although once, I wrote a 4 letter acronym on my notes and I couldn't remember what it was I also use a gamma-like symbol for 'and' sometimes

I'm sure there will be online resource available too! And perhaps you could take notes using a laptop then hand write equations and stuff, since they're harder to type up?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _Caz_)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Oh **** that's true lol

Guess I'll have to take notes during lecture in my own shortened way
    (Original post by cerlohee)
    Haha you absolute badass :lol:
    I try :cool: jk

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.