This discussion is closed.
PetrosAC
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by mobbsy91)
Exactly... as you say, I guess with more Maths experience, it is a simple problem, but harder for GCSE students... But yeh, they need something to differentiate the top and the middle tier students... and why they think a petition is going to make a bloody bit of difference :rofl: If they believe that, they deserve to get a bad grade

In any case, it's unlikely to make masses of difference as it's common to have a harder question... granted, I haven't seen the rest of the paper, but I've also been told they haven't sat the second part yet...
Second part is Monday I think. My mate's doing it. He doesnt know what the fuss is about either.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Tanqueray91
  • Study Helper
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by PetrosAC)
Second part is Monday I think. My mate's doing it. He doesnt know what the fuss is about either.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Well, fair play to him!
PetrosAC
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Well, fair play to him!
Aye. He knows his maths. Well, his GCSE maths. I knew my GCSE maths, didn't help me this year

I would celebrate finishing exams but I'm tired and want to sleep. Night mobbsy

Posted from TSR Mobile
Tanqueray91
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by PetrosAC)
Aye. He knows his maths. Well, his GCSE maths. I knew my GCSE maths, didn't help me this year

I would celebrate finishing exams but I'm tired and want to sleep. Night mobbsy

Posted from TSR Mobile
Haha, night!
Green_Pink
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
What are everyone's thoughts on the GCSE Maths sweets question? I personally think they're all kicking up a fuss for no bloody reason... they just need to grow up and accept a bit of failure to get a question right.
Agreed, actually had a moan about this in the Government chat earlier. Seems like a classic case of expecting the question to be handing them exactly how to get the answer on a plate, whereas for once it actually involved them having to think. Too many students are taught how to plug numbers into formulas without knowing what they're actually doing, I'm glad we have questions like this to at least stop them getting top grades for that.

On the other hand, it was a very unpleasant surprise to discover that these days you only need around 25% for a C grade in the higher tier papers!!!!! WTF are they complaining about, it's ridiculously lenient as it is.
Tanqueray91
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Green_Pink)
Agreed, actually had a moan about this in the Government chat earlier. Seems like a classic case of expecting the question to be handing them exactly how to get the answer on a plate, whereas for once it actually involved them having to think. Too many students are taught how to plug numbers into formulas without knowing what they're actually doing, I'm glad we have questions like this to at least stop them getting top grades for that.

On the other hand, it was a very unpleasant surprise to discover that these days you only need around 25% for a C grade in the higher tier papers!!!!! WTF are they complaining about, it's ridiculously lenient as it is.
There'll always find things to complain about. But if they spent time complaining and signing pointless petitions, they'd maybe do well...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Tanqueray91
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Sorry, typo ^^ *they'll

Posted from TSR Mobile
KingStannis
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
GOD. Currently trying to teach physics students how to logic. Banging my head against a brick wall. Why are they all inferior to maths students seriously.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by KingStannis)
GOD. Currently trying to teach physics students how to logic. Banging my head against a brick wall. Why are they all inferior to maths students seriously.
Two reasons:
1) Maths>physics;
2) those noobs don't use logic

Posted from TSR Mobile
DanE1998
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
What are everyone's thoughts on the GCSE Maths sweets question? I personally think they're all kicking up a fuss for no bloody reason... they just need to grow up and accept a bit of failure to get a question right.
When you look at the maths it is simple enough but I didn't understand it at first glance
barnetlad
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Just popped in for a cuppa, hello everyone.

It's a fairly simple question, well for me who has A level Maths and usually has solved the Countdown numbers before the clock starts ticking. It shows how Maths needs to be valued, as with calculators and shop tills that work out change, as a skill it may be undervalued.

As for people accepting failure, the generation many of whom have been plastic Man U supporters may find it more difficult to accept than they should. And of course it is part of Michael Gove's plan for more people to fail exams, so his successor can have more schools judged as coasting or failing so they are taken out of local authority control.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
What is this question?
I should think it's not too hard given how easy rejected questions can be

Posted from TSR Mobile
Cryptographic
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Kicking up a fuss - it wasn't exactly hard

Posted from TSR MobilesxAvs zac
Ea
Tanqueray91
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Jammy Duel)
What is this question?
I should think it's not too hard given how easy rejected questions can be

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's Hannah's sweet question - it was on BBC's homepage, and it's in this thread!
(Original post by Cryptographic)
Kicking up a fuss - it wasn't exactly hard

Posted from TSR MobilesxAvs zac
Ea
Exactly... it wasn't difficult. Although maybe comparatively hard for GCSE students, but still.... I think the whole thing is absolutely ludicrous.
Aph
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Just found it and I think my A-level class would struggle with that...
Tanqueray91
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Aph)
Are you actually serious!? Good luck to your A level class in their A levels then...
tehFrance
Badges: 15
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Aph)
Are you in a lower tier or something?
Tanqueray91
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by tehFrance)
Are you in a lower tier or something?
PRSOM
tehFrance
Badges: 15
Report 4 years ago
Are you actually serious!? Good luck to your A level class in their A levels then...
It now explains a lot though
Tanqueray91
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by tehFrance)
It now explains a lot though
Yeh, you're absolutely right, as usual to be honest...
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (57)
24.26%
No (178)
75.74%

Watched Threads