Doctor Who - Discussion Thread II Watch

This discussion is closed.
Sheldor
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by FuzzySheep)
I agree with this. I thought the implied potential rapist bit was in bad taste. I think they need to decide whether this show is aiming at families and young children, or for a more adult audience. The amount of innuendo and the above specific line just didn't follow with what they've done recently. I think the format of the show is generally becoming more confusing and less engaging.
I thought the potential rapist bit was in pretty bad taste too.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Feefifofum
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I think I missed that line - what was the potential rapist bit?
matty123
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Anyone else think that the Trickster from Sarah Jane Adventures would make an excellent villian?

Mess.
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Feefifofum)
I think I missed that line - what was the potential rapist bit?
"I'll enjoy breaking you in"

Pretty heavy for a family show.
Feefifofum
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I didn't think of that being a reference to rape, I thought he was just talking about breaking her spirit and stopping her being so feisty. I can see how it could refer to rape too, but I don't think there's any way a child would interpret it that way :dontknow: It's like the "large weapon" comment - unlikely that a child would understand the innuendo. It's the same reason you get loads of innuendo in kids' films.
Sarcastic_Sazza
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by boba)
oh but can somebody explain to me why all of the people in the missile place had Indian accents? When it was just that woman talking it didn't register as I guess I just assumed it was her accent but then the rest of them did to. So at that point I though "oh its an Indian missile thing" but then it puzzled me as to why they would of been speaking English if that was the case. :confused:
Not sure if anyone's answered you... But pretty sure he was in India hence the 'ISA' - India Space Agency.

And they spoke English because the TARDIS translates everything into a language we understand

And he was also in the future, not in our time, hence everything super hi-tech
Mess.
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Sarcastic_Sazza)
Not sure if anyone's answered you... But pretty sure he was in India hence the 'ISA' - India Space Agency.

And they spoke English because the TARDIS translates everything into a language we understand

English is the first language in India anyway isn't it??
Sarcastic_Sazza
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
As with every single 11 episode ever (apart from a few of stonkers here and there) once again, I absolutely adored all the characters and special effects and it looked brilliant but it didn't make me just fall in love like RTD's episodes used to.

I do love you Moffat, but you just don't deliver as well as RTD used to
Sarcastic_Sazza
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Mess.)
English is the first language in India anyway isn't it??
Is it? I'm pretty sure all the city dwellers can speak English nowadays, not sure about the smaller villages and stuff though.
Evangelica
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by lizolove)
Here's Filch, now, where's Mrs Norris?
Not sure, but Arthur Weasley turned up!
boba
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago

I'm sure there was a part when they were just speaking to each other though without any contact to the doctor or tardis. When one of them said something about the ship moving away and the other saying it was to late.
Colonel.
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
People speaking English in India wasn't the biggest problem with this episode.
Battenberg
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Apologies if someone else already brought this up but did no one else think it was unlike the doctor to kill the guy at the end (I can't remember his character or actor name so I'm gonna go with Filch )? I mean he was crippled and clearly posed no threat by that point and the Doctor has tried to save just about everyone he could, he's even tried to save daleks before, but apparently he had no moral qualms about killing this completely unthreatening man for absolutely no reason. I still like Doctor Who and all but the show's writing is going a bit downhill now imo. Although Mark Williams was absolutley genius!
Sarcastic_Sazza
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by boba)
I'm sure there was a part when they were just speaking to each other though without any contact to the doctor or tardis. When one of them said something about the ship moving away and the other saying it was to late.
But the TARDIS technically speaking breaks the fourth wall and translates for us anyway. Like when Aliens are plotting on their own or up in their spaceship, they should revert to their own language but they're still speaking English.

I guess that's why the Indians still spoke English then.
JessicaW
Badges: 1
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Colonel.)
I'm trying to think of episodes I'd rate lower.
Star Whale.
boba
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Battenberg)
Apologies if someone else already brought this up but did no one else think it was unlike the doctor to kill the guy at the end (I can't remember his character or actor name so I'm gonna go with Filch )? I mean he was crippled and clearly posed no threat by that point and the Doctor has tried to save just about everyone he could, he's even tried to save daleks before, but apparently he had no moral qualms about killing this completely unthreatening man for absolutely no reason. I still like Doctor Who and all but the show's writing is going a bit downhill now imo. Although Mark Williams was absolutley genius!
in the trailer for the next episode he seems less merciful and amy comments on it so maybe its a lead in to that.
Sarcastic_Sazza
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Battenberg)
He killed him because he commited genocide.

And I think maybe the writers did it on purpose. He's spending less and less time with the Ponds and his character is becoming more ruthless as a result which will somehow lead to them leaving/dying (however they go out).

That's just my take though. I could be just being way too optimistic about the writers plans! :P
boba
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
But the TARDIS technically speaking breaks the fourth wall and translates for us anyway. Like when Aliens are plotting on their own or up in their spaceship, they should revert to their own language but they're still speaking English.

I guess that's why the Indians still spoke English then.
good point, I've never actually noticed that before but now you mention it its true.
Feefifofum
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
The Indian Space Agency (or whatever it was called) was from way into the future - 2367 AD - so English could be the universal international language, or something like that :p:

I have a question about Brian. I thought he was AWESOME. Loved him. But why was he not at the wedding? I mean, obviously the actor wouldn't have randomly turned up 2 series ago, but he obviously didn't recognise the Doctor or the Tardis, both of which he would have seen at the wedding.
Colonel.
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by JessicaW)
Star Whale.
I really don't get the Star Whale hate. I mean, it wasn't a great episode, but there have been far worse.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (561)
37.68%
No - but I will (116)
7.79%
No - I don't want to (106)
7.12%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (706)
47.41%

Watched Threads