Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by baconbutty)
    people wont respect it more. you are so funny though keep it up.

and no we wouldn't be desperate to win it because the money it costs to build a team that can win it offsets the prize money
    You're telling me people dont respect the achievements of teams like BVB/AM over teams like PSG/Chelsea/City? People respect the players/managers who achieve at those clubs, but the clubs themselves are inevitably tainted as plastic.

Seriously, why on earth are you continuing to pretend to be an Arsenal fan? Plenty of people WUM on here, no need for the pretence, it's just bizarre.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zürich)
    But I always have to cringe at the fan of a sugar-daddy club mocking a club that worries about paying it's own way. And end of the day, if Arsenal do ever win the CL it will be off our own back, and people will respect that x100 compared with what Roman bought you, simple as that.
    Well, just to get one thing out the way, you won't.

But no, a trophy is a trophy and in 5, 10, 15, 50, 100 years, no-one will care where the funding came from. It's about winning, and winning alone. No-one will ever remember Arsenal's last decade, a decade of being also rans, and people will remember Chelsea's trophies.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bound 2)
    Well, just to get one thing out the way, you won't.

But no, a trophy is a trophy and in 5, 10, 15, 50, 100 years, no-one will care where the funding came from. It's about winning, and winning alone. No-one will ever remember Arsenal's last decade, a decade of being also rans, and people will remember Chelsea's trophies.
    People always keep saying this. So, lets but look at the WC for example. People talk more about the dutch total football team and Zico's Brazil of the 80s than any of the German team that won the WC and everyone wants to forget about the 94 Brazil team.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Endless Blue)
    Yep, just this. Arsenal have been the laughing stock of the league for the last five years at least. Utd knocked them off their perch this season fortunately for them.

Seems like baconbutty tells it like it is (in most cases).

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Wonder what that makes Liverpool.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 419)
    Not as funny as Arsenal, that's what

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 419)
    Spot on.

When did Liverpool fans get it into their heads that they're in any position to have a go at Arsenal? Talk about ****houses in glass houses. :rolleyes: Their last 8 years has been an absolute shambles, achieving nothing either short term or long term. Not that Liverpool achieved anything in my lifetime before that, one year aside.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peggles_*)
    No, you're not.
    He clearly is an Arsenal fan.

Just because he's not deluded and fickle doesn't mean he's not one of you lot.

ReputationRep:
    You get £50m+ for winning the CL, so if that were true, wouldnt we be desperate to win it? 2006-2012 no doubt the CL revenues were important, I've actually seen the RBS prospectus on the Emirates loans and it was naturally made very clear on that how very important that revenue source was. We're not in that position anymore though.

But I always have to cringe at the fan of a sugar-daddy club mocking a club that worries about paying it's own way. And end of the day, if Arsenal do ever win the CL it will be off our own back, and people will respect that x100 compared with what Roman bought you, simple as that.
    I wonder what your attitude towards Arsenal would be if they were taken over by a sugar daddy? (genuine question, not taking the piss )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by manchesterunited15)
    I wonder what your attitude towards Arsenal would be if they were taken over by a sugar daddy? (genuine question, not taking the piss )
    We have an Uzbek who own 30% of our shares desperate to gain control, and he's richer than RA. But almost everyone I know is against it, I would say that about 20% of our fan base would welcome it. If it did happen people would just have to accept it probably since fan power is so pitiful in England but it would taint the club big time.

I honestly think that if an owner came in and spent £500m and we won the CL, that it would feel cheap. Like using cheats on Football manager or something. And if other fans wanted to taunt our achievements as plastic, what could I say? they'd be right.

End of the day, a club like Chelsea with very little long term tradition or character will tolerate Roman in and out of the dressing room, collecting the trophy, running the club for his own enjoyment but at clubs like Arsenal(and Liverpool/Utd) it's something people wont accept. End of the day, the alternative for CFC was another 100 years of midtable obscurity, so they sold what little soul they had. Arsenal fans love to moralise, but we genuinely are above that ****.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by manchesterunited15)
    The day before I start supporting the club in hiatus.

Thank god this nightmare won't happen.

ReputationRep:
    We have an Uzbek who own 30% of our shares desperate to gain control, and he's richer than RA. But almost everyone I know is against it, I would say that about 20% of our fan base would welcome it. If it did happen people would just have to accept it probably since fan power is so pitiful in England but it would taint the club big time.

I honestly think that if an owner came in and spent £500m and we won the CL, that it would feel cheap. Like using cheats on Football manager or something. And if other fans wanted to taunt our achievements as plastic, what could I say? they'd be right.

End of the day, a club like Chelsea with very little long term tradition or character will tolerate Roman in and out of the dressing room, collecting the trophy, running the club for his own enjoyment but at clubs like Arsenal(and Liverpool/Utd) it's something people wont accept. End of the day, the alternative for CFC was another 100 years of midtable obscurity, so they sold what little soul they had. Arsenal fans love to moralise, but we genuinely are above that ****.
    How come Usmanov can't gain control, are the others refusing to sell up?

I agree, it wouldn't be the same winning trophies when you've had hundreds of millions handed to you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peggles_*)
    No, you're not.
    He's allowed to have a view that goes against the majority, just like you and wanting Wenger out.

It is refreshing to see posters like butty though, he just wants what's best for the club.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Basically anyone could make a dupe, claim to be a fan then post some thing and as long as it's anti arsenal they will be praised for being a good poster

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Should do something similar to the UTD thread on how they call out eboracum's ridiculous posts

Do it on the next arsenal thread, we're not long away. Keep a track of what this guy actually says and then you've got a log for evidence for the one's who aren't convinced.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 419)
    People always keep saying this. So, lets but look at the WC for example. People talk more about the dutch total football team and Zico's Brazil of the 80s than any of the German team that won the WC and everyone wants to forget about the 94 Brazil team.
    Zico's team are remembered as the greatest never to win. Cruyff's team are remembered for their revolutionary playing style, and because they won other club trophies. And which PL teams are most remembered? The winners. Which CL teams? The winners. No-one remembers Eindhoven's brave run in 2005, or Monaco's run to the final the year before, or Leverkusen who lost in back to back finals, or Ozil's Germany team that annihilated England and Argentina. Rafa's Liverpool, Mourinho's Porto, Ancelotti's Milan, Xavi and Iniesta's Spain.

At most in the future, after Arsenal have dipped and then re-start playing good football, you might get references to 'it's like football from the Wenger years'. No-one else will ever remember anything about a very forgettable and miserable decade for Arsenal fans. No-one will ever remember anything because there is nothing to remember barring some minnow-bashing football, the sales of many great players, and constant underperformance in big games.

No-one in football is remembered but the winners, and Arsenal haven't won ****.

edit: and if any Arsenal fan is kidding themselves that they wouldn't swap their position for Chelsea's trophies in the last 10 years, well, you'll have a different opinion in 5 years, 10 years, 50 years.

ReputationRep:
    So, the fifa 15 trailer is out and in it he's talking about how a goal, a shot, a save etc can change a season (I'm paraphrasing) and then he goes, a slip can change a season.. And then it shows Liverpool & Suarez LOL. I don't think it was intended to resemble their crumble at the end of last season because it's Suarez scoring. It would have been funnier if they actually animated gerrard. Poor fella

http://youtu.be/TnTYVT6lwBc

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 419)
    Now, this is just embellishing your original point and did nothing to adhere to what I said- which was that winners aren't the only ones remembered. Where you tried to address it, you went ahead and just put words in my mouth or went ahead and put cliff notes to dismiss why the dutch teams and Brazilian teams were remembered (both are remember for been the best football team ever rather than for not winning- anyone form the era say this). Tbh, loads of people remember those teams- it was one of the reason Hiddink was hired by Chelsea for example.

Again, I'm merely stating that the it isn't factually correct to state that history ONLY remembers winners and gave examples to prove this is strictly true. There are loads of reasons why history remember certain teams- been a winner is one of them but not the sole reasons. If it was the case, very few teams in actual terms would be remembered as its generally the same clubs/ teams that keep winning.
    We sacked a manager mid season, we didn't have time to get a long term manager so got Hiddink as interim, he'd have stayed on potentially but we were looking for a high profile manager. We got Di Matteo in and got Rafa Benitez in(who was looking for a job for over 2 years) so it's not really as if we got the creme de la creme for interim. Maybe if we'd got Guardiola e.g. when Di Matteo was sacked then your point would have made sense.

History remembers winners more than the losers. Are people going to remember Arsenal's defence up to the CL final, no they're going to remember Barca winning the competition. Are people going to remember Leverkusen missing out on the treble in 2002, no they're going to remember Zidanes volley. Same with Arsenal's last decade. They'll remember the early years of Wengers reign.

When people talk of Brian Clough, they don't remember his relegation with Forest, they remember his 2 european cups and winning the league as a newly promoted team.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bound 2)
    Taking this thread into politics will only hide from the truth of the day - that Zurich is a blind as a bat and his defense mechanism in any discussion is to flip things back on whichever club the other person supports. If it's Liverpool its 'oh but Liverpool are ****e' and if it's Chelsea it's 'oh but you're plastic'. The guy has no response to any rationality, as butty said earlier. edit: would like to point out that it's not just Zurich who this could apply to

Even if butty is not an Arsenal fan, his posts on this thread are subject to the same rights that everyone else's are, so give it a ****ing rest about which club he supports.
    This is done in every thread though :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam278)
    We sacked a manager mid season, we didn't have time to get a long term manager so got Hiddink as interim, he'd have stayed on potentially.

History remembers winners more than the losers. Are people going to remember Arsenal's defence up to the CL final, no they're going to remember Barca winning the competition. Are people going to remember Leverkusen missing out on the treble in 2002, no they're going to remember Zidanes volley. Same with Arsenal's last decade. They'll remember the early years of Wengers reign.

When people talk of Brian Clough, they don't remember his relegation with Forest, they remember his 2 european cups and winning the league as a newly promoted team.
    Can tell you didn't read the post.

That Leverkusen is remembered very fondly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 419)
    This is done in every thread though :dontknow:
    Come to our thread and see if anyone tries to pull this ****? It's general football fan behaviour but that doesn't mean it's desirable.

And why delete your other post? What's the point in deleting it after having spent years writing out those two paragraphs haha

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: July 9, 2014
Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.