The Commons Bar Mk IX - MHoC Chat Thread Watch

This discussion is closed.
Aph
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by mobbsy91)
Are you actually serious!? Good luck to your A level class in their A levels then...
Yeah, because nothing like that has ever come up and isn't on the spec.
You have to realise that the isn't any replacement and the oddness of the question would catch loads of people out.
\frac{6}{n}*\frac{5}{n-1}=\frac{1}{3} and then multiply out is a hard concept (assuming that that was right!!!
Aph
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by tehFrance)
Are you in a lower tier or something?
OCR MEI... Hardest maths exam board mate
Tanqueray91
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Aph)
Yeah, because nothing like that has ever come up and isn't on the spec.
You have to realise that the isn't any replacement and the oddness of the question would catch loads of people out.
\frac{6}{n}*\frac{5}{n-1}=\frac{1}{3} and then multiply out is a hard concept (assuming that that was right!!!
I'm sorry, but the basis of the question is on the spec, and it's totally reasonable to give this in that GCSE exam.

Often, masses complain about exams being too easy, and now people are being childish because they found a question hard... they need to stop complaining about it and move on, and prepare for their second exam for it...
Tanqueray91
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
tehFrance - Aph would only be taking the hardest of course... which begs the question, what grade will he get if he can't do this simple question... :facepalm:
Aph
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'm sorry, but the basis of the question is on the spec, and it's totally reasonable to give this in that GCSE exam.

Often, masses complain about exams being too easy, and now people are being childish because they found a question hard... they need to stop complaining about it and move on, and prepare for their second exam for it...
yes, what I said is that it isn't on my A-level spec and it wasn't on the GCSE one either.

Actually the oldies complain about them being too easy... And I could do the question as above.
Tanqueray91
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Aph)
yes, what I said is that it isn't on my A-level spec and it wasn't on the GCSE one either.

Actually the oldies complain about them being too easy...
And I've also seen many other older people be able to do it... my 50 year mother couldn't do it as she's crap at Maths... of course some won't be able to...

And actually, the basis of the question is well within the confines of what they can put on the exam, and if it wasn't I am sure Ofqual would intervene and sort it out... In any case, they should always have questions to differentiate between top tier and lower level candidates, and this seems to be the one... it's only because people are pissed off they couldn't do it is why they're complaining.

And I could do the question as above.
I would expect nothing less from you...
tehFrance
Badges: 15
Report 4 years ago
Yeh, you're absolutely right, as usual to be honest...
Heh
(Original post by Aph)
OCR MEI... Hardest maths exam board mate
So IB Maths is for he simpletons?
tehFrance - Aph would only be taking the hardest of course... which begs the question, what grade will he get if he can't do this simple question... :facepalm:
He's get a bearable high D, he'll end up retaking under AQA where he'll get his target C despite being the easiest of the exam boards :lol:
Aph
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
And I've also seen many other older people be able to do it... my 50 year mother couldn't do it as she's crap at Maths... of course some won't be able to...

And actually, the basis of the question is well within the confines of what they can put on the exam, and if it wasn't I am sure Ofqual would intervene and sort it out... In any case, they should always have questions to differentiate between top tier and lower level candidates, and this seems to be the one... it's only because people are pissed off they couldn't do it is why they're complaining.

I would expect nothing less from you...
I don't expect the change they want but for GCSE that is hard.

My exam board for physics puts in one question that the spec specifically states we don't need to know about once every 2 year as an 'advanced level question' and even though everyone complains nothing ever happens.
Tanqueray91
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Standard is - Higher is for those who scraped an A* at GCSE?

He's get a bearable high D, he'll end up retaking under AQA where he'll get his target C despite being the easiest of the exam boards :lol:
I'm bored of saying PRSOM, so I'll say: hehe
Tanqueray91
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Aph)
I don't expect the change they want but for GCSE that is hard.

My exam board for physics puts in one question that the spec specifically states we don't need to know about once every 2 year as an 'advanced level question' and even though everyone complains nothing ever happens.
Obviously nothing happens because it's totally reasonable... and if anything were to happen, it would be because a bunch of 16 year olds signed a petition, but because Ofqual or JCQ intervened... and yeh, it was comparatively harder to the rest of the paper, but they need A* differentiating questions, and I've seen a fair few GCSE students say they could do it...
Aph
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

Pretty much.

I've got at least a B probably an A though.
Tanqueray91
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Aph)
Pretty much.

If you've got at least a B, probably an A, I don't understand how you can reasonably say that IB Maths is for simpletons - definitely not Higher maths either.
tehFrance
Badges: 15
Report 4 years ago
Standard is - Higher is for those who scraped an A* at GCSE?

I'm bored of saying PRSOM, so I'll say: hehe
:lol:
(Original post by Aph)
Pretty much.

You have seen IB papers right? My child is going to an IB school from pre-school to college! It's the best of the best!

Sure
Anon_98
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Spoiler:
Show
Dont be mean:hand:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Aph
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
If you've got at least a B, probably an A, I don't understand how you can reasonably say that IB Maths is for simpletons - definitely not Higher maths either.
I can't find a past paper that's why...
Tanqueray91
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Anon_98)
Spoiler:
Show
Dont be mean:hand:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm not being mean, but I just think that an A level student should be able to do that question...

(Original post by Aph)
I can't find a past paper that's why...
Unfortunately you have to pay on the IB site, so have to hunt elsewhere...

This is a standard level maths paper, from 2006 (Paper 2)

My internet is playing up a bit, but I will try and get you a Higher paper a bit later.
Tanqueray91
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Aph - not sure if it would've quoted you as I edited in the quote...
Aph
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'm not being mean, but I just think that an A level student should be able to do that question...

Unfortunately you have to pay on the IB site, so have to hunt elsewhere...

This is a standard level maths paper, from 2006 (Paper 2)

My internet is playing up a bit, but I will try and get you a Higher paper a bit later.
Yeah I saw what kinda exam board makes you pay for your past papers.
The standard level looks like a combination of FP1, C1 and C2 so that looks fine.
Life_peer
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I agree. It took me like 30 seconds and I'm no math enthusiast. But at least we know the reason behind Aph's mad stats skills, lol.
Tanqueray91
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Aph)
Yeah I saw what kinda exam board makes you pay for your past papers.
The standard level looks like a combination of FP1, C1 and C2 so that looks fine.
I don't do IB obviously, so don't know extensively, but the course would've probably changed a bit in the last 9 years, and that is just one paper... I think more of the problem is the amount of stuff you do in the two years, which is then examined in 3 papers I believe....

And yeh - seriously - who makes you pay for past papers
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (130)
18.21%
It's just nice to be back! (194)
27.17%
Not great so far... (256)
35.85%
I want to drop out! (134)
18.77%

Watched Threads