Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    does anyone know if it's worth the money to have a math exam remarked? especially since there's a structured mark scheme? I'm two UMS marks from an A star whilst I'm twenty UMS marks away from an A so I'm hoping that I wouldn't drop a grade, getting a remark may mean I'd get an overall A star grade and I know an A is brilliant I'm so pleased with it but the fact that it's only two marks is making me beat myself up over it, any advice?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hey! Does anyone have any idea what the required grades are for a biomedicine degree? I got B in chemistry and physics and a C in bio for my AS level (which is bad I know

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fifita)
    Hey! Does anyone have any idea what the required grades are for a biomedicine degree? I got B in chemistry and physics and a C in bio for my AS level (which is bad I know

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I would imagine it depends on the Uni of course. If you can pull those grades up at A2 I'm sure you will be better off.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theJdog)
    So say if you get only a mere 1.5 A*s, 5 As and 3 Bs (I know kinda pathetic in Oxbridge terms). Would I still get into Oxford with these grades if I got 3 A*s at Alevel? Thank you
    For Cambridge, definitely.

You need to demonstrate that at AS though.

That you are a god like academic who shreds every damn question on a paper set to him.

Cambridge SCRUTINIZE AS results. Couple this with the correct Personal Statement, and bam. You're 80% sure of an interview.

It's about faith more than anything though.

I don't know who negged me, but I couldn't care less. If you're an underdog, have faith. Don't be put off by some TSR users, after all, it's the internet.

ReputationRep:
    We appreciate that occasionally there are circumstances when the grades that an applicant achieves are not an accurate reflection of their abilities and potential, and if that is the case then the applicant is advised to consult the College to which they wish to apply for advice about their position regarding retakes.

Once at the University, students are regularly assessed by examination and there is no opportunity to resit exams (with the exception of professional qualifying examinations in Medicine and Veterinary Medicine). Therefore, applicants should recognise the importance of being able to cope with the pressures associated with taking exams and use them as an opportunity to demonstrate their abilities and progress by achieving as highly as possible first time in any form of assessment.

However, we appreciate that even very capable students may have 'bad days' when an exam does not go quite to plan. As such, a student's application is unlikely to be adversely affected by their resitting one or two modules. On the other hand, there would be concern about an applicant's potential to be successful at Cambridge if they need to resit numerous exams, particularly where only a marginal improvement is achieved.

Please note that in some situations the student may be eligible to apply using the Extenuating Circumstances Form. Normally, however, applicants are not encouraged to make an application based on persistently re-sitting examinations to improve grades.

THIS IS AN E-MAIL SENT BEFORE MY RESULTS, WHEN I WAS QUERYING CAMBRIDGE'S RESIT POLICY.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MsRaindrop)
    This may be a stupid question Just out of curiosity, on the results sheet what do the points in the points column mean? For example, I had 58, 52 etc. What do they contribute towards? :confused:
    GCSE Point scores, they don't mean much but some colleges use them

A*=58 points
    A=52
    B=46
    C=40
    D=34
    E=28
    F=22
    G=16

then you add it all up for your score

ReputationRep:
    If we send off remarks this year (obv before sept 20th) when will we get them back??

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gomg)
    GCSE Point scores, they don't mean much but some colleges use them

A*=58 points
    A=52
    B=46
    C=40
    D=34
    E=28
    F=22
    G=16

then you add it all up for your score
    I dont get it what r these points used for?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I am happy with my GCSE grades , but unsure if I should still consider Oxbridge to study Medicine or biochemistry.

I got 6 A*s, 6 As and 1 B.

For A-Level I am taking Biology, Chemistry, Physics and English Literature, and hope to do well. However, I am unsure about applying to Oxbridge as it may be useless

ReputationRep:
    I sat IGCSE Maths and got an A and GCSE Maths and got a B, does this mean that i get two separate GCSE's then or just the A? Any replies appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by student1508)
    Hey guys, I got 7a*'s, then 3a's (an A in maths (3 UMS off A* - let down only by my first exam (1st module) which I took when I was 14), then A in art, and A in English lang (which I plan to retake for A*). I also got full UMS on my r.s. exam, full ums on both French exams, and full ums on 1 module of my bio, chem and physics exams. I go to a private school for girls, and ive been there for 3 yrs, after coming from a public school. I REALLY want to study medicine, do you think my grades are enough to get in to Cambridge/Oxford? Thanks
    Even if you struggle to get into cambridge or oxford you're in with a decent shot at getting into the likes of aberdeen or birmingham so i wouldn't worry too much, you've got grades capable of taking you into a top 10 medical school

ReputationRep:
    Guuuys they took photos of me for the school website/magazine and I had no makeup on and I was in grungey DofE stuff

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paradoxicalme)
    You can definitely go for medicine. Birmingham might be difficult because they're INCREDIBLY hot on GCSEs, but I think 8A* should be enough for them, so go for it

Heyy..thankyou so much!!! Yeah birmingham is really interested in the gcse results which is why I was worrying...I just don't want to move away from home
    but I guess it is worth a shot!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BC95)
    Yes, those grades stand a good chance. Just make sure you carry on the hard work into A-Level. Congrats on the results
    Thankyouu....and okay I will!!
    what did u get??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tibbz2)
    Unis get access to all your GCSE grades, so it doesn't matter
    How???

ReputationRep:
    Btw everyone, u know unis do they look at what secondary school or sixth form u went to?? Like if u got great results and u went to a bad comprehensive school would they see that??

ReputationRep:
    GUYS A LEVEL IS REALLY IMPORTANT COMPARED TO iGCSE/ GCSE.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 3mma_gal96)
    Hey guys, I got:
    English Lang - A*
    English Lit - A*
    Biology - A*
    Chemistry - A*
    Physics - A*
    History - A*
    Maths - A
    RE (short course) - A*
    Dida year 1 - B
    Dida year 2 - A
    Applied Business - B

I want to study medicine (preferably in Cardiff), but I am a bit concerned. This is because I know many universities don't accept applied business, nor my 2 Dida qualifications which replace ICT. In addition, I'm pleased with my RE result but it's a short course and yet again, I know lots of uni's, like Cardiff, don't accept short courses.
    Discarding my business,dida's and RE, have I got enough to work with?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Your GCSEs are perfect as they are! You have nothing to worry about if you want to apply to Cardiff! If that is your dream uni, go for it as long as you do well at AS as well

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MsFahima)
    Hey guys. Just wanted to know about WJEC English Literature and Language - what was the UMS needed for A*?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Language- 180/200
    Literature - 180/200

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theJdog)
    Yay! We got the same roughly I got 1.5 A*, 5As and 3Bs. And yeah I'm actually really disappointed with myself, because I could have done better. Well done for your results Are you happy?
    How do you get 1.5A*?! :eek:

I could've done better with Maths, ended up with an A and it was kinda close to an A* Same for English Lit, was 6 marks off an A! Got a C in the poetry paper though, that really brought down all my marks. Had a feeling that I had done badly though, so it's alright. B is still a respectable grade!

I was really, really happy with French and Geography. Especially Geography.
    Was predicted C for French (did IGCSE and it's pretty hard D: ) and ended up with A!
    As for Geography, I was on my way towards a U, and I figured the best mark I could get would probably be an E, or a D. Ended up with a B and even all my teachers were shocked! Somehow, one of my resits went from a C to an A* AND I got 100% in my controlled assessment. How? I do not know, considering I didn't even finish it :laugh:

But yes, overall, I am super duperly overjoyed! And it seems as if everyone else here has got brilliant grades, so well done to everyone else!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.