The Commons Bar Mk IX - MHoC Chat Thread Watch

This discussion is closed.
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'll say what i've said before. If people are being challenged or failing a question then it means the exam board is doing its job.
RayApparently
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Are we bickering over that maths question? Its not that hard.
Aph
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by mobbsy91)
I don't do IB obviously, so don't know extensively, but the course would've probably changed a bit in the last 9 years, and that is just one paper... I think more of the problem is the amount of stuff you do in the two years, which is then examined in 3 papers I believe....

And yeh - seriously - who makes you pay for past papers
Oh I fond the sample papers so it can't have changed too much from that.

I'm to just some greedy corporation only after profit
Anon_98
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by mobbsy91)
I'm not being mean, but I just think that an A level student should be able to do that question...
Well you sort of were....but I dont think so- it all depends on the wording and style etc that you're used to and that question could've been presented better.

Yes- the actual basis wasn't hard but personally I didn't know what to do when I looked at it initially. It totally threw me. However, when I saw the solution I realised it was pretty simple. - so I suppose I'm ready for the influx of comments made by TehFrance and yourself on how failure is upon me and resitting on the AQA examboard is engraved in my future. :giggle:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Tanqueray91
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Anon_98)
Well you sort of were....but I dont think so- it all depends on the wording and style etc that you're used to and that question could've been presented better.

Yes- the actual basis wasn't hard but personally I didn't know what to do when I looked at it initially. It totally threw me. However, when I saw the solution I realised it was pretty simple. - so I suppose I'm ready for the influx of comments made by TehFrance and yourself on how failure is upon me and resitting on the AQA examboard is engraved in my future. :giggle:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Haha, you're not going to have to resit... My complaint is about the number of people who have no idea about grade boundaries, and that as it's clear so many found it hard, that the grade boundary will reflect it...
TeeEff
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Aph)
Yeah, because nothing like that has ever come up and isn't on the spec.
You have to realise that the isn't any replacement and the oddness of the question would catch loads of people out.
\frac{6}{n}*\frac{5}{n-1}=\frac{1}{3} and then multiply out is a hard concept (assuming that that was right!!!
WTF? How is it a hard concept? :lol: It's just multiplying probabilities and matching it to the information you've already been given.
Aph
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by The Financier)
WTF? How is it a hard concept? :lol: It's just multiplying probabilities and matching it to the information you've already been given.
Like I said, odd question and half of them would get replacement wrong.
KingStannis
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I can't do the question but then i've forgotten how to do maths since I don't do it for a level.
TeeEff
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Aph)
Like I said, odd question and half of them would get replacement wrong.
That's a good thing. Marks aren't meant to be handed to you on a plate.

Don't get me wrong, there are some things that exam boards should be shouted at for (the impossible OCR D1 question in 2011 being one) but making a question require a little thinking? I don't see a problem here. It's a doable question, not an impossible one like the D1 one.
Aph
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
That's a good thing. Marks aren't meant to be handed to you on a plate.

Don't get me wrong, there are some things that exam boards should be shouted at for (the impossible OCR D1 question in 2011 being one) but making a question require a little thinking? I don't see a problem here. It's a doable question, not an impossible one like the D1 one.
I know, all I said was that thinking about my A-level class (half of whom are dropping maths next year anyway) I think most of then would really struggle with the paper.

As long as it's on the spec it's fine, but apparently doing questions the spec specifically states won't appear is ok too
RayApparently
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Aph)
I know, all I said was that thinking about my A-level class (half of whom are dropping maths next year anyway) I think most of then would really struggle with the paper.

As long as it's on the spec it's fine, but apparently doing questions the spec specifically states won't appear is ok too
It was one of those questions that's difficult to revise for because you have to apply and combine rules rather than just plug values into memorised formulas and methods.

Isn't that the kind of testing you wanted to make universal? Its separates the creative mathematicians from those who expected to see the same questions in their textbook with different numbers.
Aph
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by RayApparently)
It was one of those questions that's difficult to revise for because you have to apply and combine rules rather than just plug values into memorised formulas and methods.

Isn't that the kind of testing you wanted to make universal? Its separates the creative mathematicians from those who expected to see the same questions in their textbook with different numbers.
Again I don't have an issue with that question... I know some people would find it hard but it's perfectly fine.
Kittiara
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by KingStannis)
I can't do the question but then i've forgotten how to do maths since I don't do it for a level.
I can't do it, either. I did do maths for A-level, but that's a few years ago, and any knowledge beyond what's necessary for day-to-day life seems to have slipped away.
James Milibanter
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Kittiara)
I can't do it, either. I did do maths for A-level, but that's a few years ago, and any knowledge beyond what's necessary for day-to-day life seems to have slipped away.
It's a massive overreaction, I did it in a few seconds and I only did GCSE maths. I had to resit it as well to get an A, so I'm not even that smart.
TeeEff
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'm tempted to create a petition for Edexcel to increase the grade boundaries now. :lol: As I think G_P said, you only need 57/200 for a C last year, with under 50% needed for a B. This just takes the piss out of our education system.
Kittiara
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by James Milibanter)
It's a massive overreaction, I did it in a few seconds and I only did GCSE maths. I had to resit it as well to get an A, so I'm not even that smart.
Oh, I do agree that it's an overreaction. Much as I dislike exams, as they always reduce me to a nervous wreck, they are meant to be challenging. When I sit exams again next year, I am not going to expect it to be all cute and fluffy and then complain if I actually have to think about something.
Kittiara
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'm tempted to create a petition for Edexcel to increase the grade boundaries now. :lol: As I think G_P said, you only need 57/200 for a C last year, with under 50% needed for a B. This just takes the piss out of our education system.
50% for a B? Seriously? I am not entirely sure about what is usually required for a B, as in the Netherlands we use scores from 1 - 10. A 10 is the equivalent of 100%, and anything under 5.5 is considered a fail. So, I think a B would be something like 80%, which seems reasonable.
James Milibanter
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
50% for a B? Seriously? I am not entirely sure about what is usually required for a B, as in the Netherlands we use scores from 1 - 10. A 10 is the equivalent of 100%, and anything under 5.5 is considered a fail. So, I think a B would be something like 80%, which seems reasonable.
It usually works out around;

35%=C
45%=B
65%=A
85%=A*

At least that's what it was when I took it last year.
TeeEff
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Yep. 95/200 (47.5%) for a B.

28.5% for a C
47.5% for a B
66.5% for a A
82% for a A*

http://www.mascalls.kent.sch.uk/pdfs...ndaries_v5.pdf
James Milibanter
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Yep. 95/200 (47.5%) for a B.

28.5% for a C
47.5% for a B
66.5% for a A
82% for a A*

http://www.mascalls.kent.sch.uk/pdfs...ndaries_v5.pdf
Well I was close enough :P
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (138)
17.72%
It's just nice to be back! (210)
26.96%
Not great so far... (280)
35.94%
I want to drop out! (151)
19.38%

Watched Threads