Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Leadsom's tax summary (it's not a tax return afaik) states that her 2015 employment income is £76597, yet as minister your combined salary (that accounts for parliamentary and ministerial salaries) is £98740. Something doesn't seem right here.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Leadsom to withraw around Midday.

Glory to our new Prime Minister, May. The woman who just declared she's putting workers on boards and making pay ratios transparent (aiming squarely at Labour voters).
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Rakas21)

Glory to our new Prime Minister, May. The woman who just declared she's putting workers on boards and making pay ratios transparent (aiming squarely at Labour voters).
    Well that's a relief. Leadsom has really shown herself to be a bad candidate... Not that I love May by any stretch of the imagination but she's the lesser of a great many evils.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Aph)
    Well that's a relief. Leadsom has really shown herself to be a bad candidate... Not that I love May by any stretch of the imagination but she's the lesser of a great many evils.
    The great thing is that Labour are just about to begin phase 2 of operation 'tear the party apart'.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    The great thing is that Labour are just about to begin phase 2 of operation 'tear the party apart'.
    Yes, it's a great shame. Also a shame in a way that ledsom didn't win because there was talk of at least 20 MPs defecting in that instance destroying the cons. It would have seen the lib dems primed to make a massive surge back to the front of politics and keep us in the EU.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Leadsom has withdrawn...
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador

• Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Love that scene, party because i can see things heading that way globally.

That being said i think the position of Home Sec makes May seem more socially conservative than she probably really is. I consider her a downgrade from Cameron but i don't mind her and i think she'll comfortably beat Corbyn or Eagle.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Love that scene, party because i can see things heading that way globally.

That being said i think the position of Home Sec makes May seem more socially conservative than she probably really is. I consider her a downgrade from Cameron but i don't mind her and i think she'll comfortably beat Corbyn or Eagle.
    A damp towel could beat Corbyn or Eagle.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Subject to procedures it looks like May could be PM by the end of the day. It looks like it's just the Conservative board that needs to approve.

ReputationRep:
    If May has any sense, she would call a general election straight away and take advantage of the situation in Labour.

In fact, i wouldnt be surprised if the tories had been plotting to do that all along. It seems covenient that Leadsom withdraws as soon as they know for sure that Corbyn will have a leadership challenge. Maybe thats also why Boris dropped out early, as a contest between him and May wouldn't have been as clear cut, so for one to drop out at this point would have been too obvious.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by cBay)
    If May has any sense, she would call a general election straight away and take advantage of the situation in Labour.

In fact, i wouldnt be surprised if the tories had been plotting to do that all along. It seems covenient that Leadsom withdraws as soon as they know for sure that Corbyn will have a leadership challenge. Maybe thats also why Boris dropped out early, as a contest between him and May wouldn't have been as clear cut, so for one to drop out at this point would have been too obvious.
    Apparently labour don't have the money to contend a general election right now anyway.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by cBay)

Too soon really, Labour wouldn't agree, and a MoNC against themselves probably won't go well

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Gove would have made the best Prime Minister, Theresa May is the career opportunist who did not believe in Brexit enough to put her beliefs for the country above her career. The new Prime Minister is an opportunistic, soft Brexiter who has a record of failure at the Home Office, is good for presenting fallacies as fact, and will not appeal to the wider party as much as another candidate. The problem with having the MPs decide the leader means the party has a leader that is not as popular with party members as party MPs: the leadership election should be for party members using a ranking voting system.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Lol, Labour seems desperate to lose seats, calling for a snap election when there isn't even any constitutional need for one.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Subject to procedures it looks like May could be PM by the end of the day. It looks like it's just the Conservative board that needs to approve.
    I doubt it . Cameron is one his way back from Farnborough , Her Majesty is in Scotland so it would make her succession more difficult because key people are not in London . I Think she will become PM on Wednesday Evening . Cameron say's goodbye at PMQs then goes to the palace to resign and May is sworn in . And it gives The Queen and Osborne who is in the US the time to get back to London
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Lol, Labour seems desperate to lose seats, calling for a snap election when there isn't even any constitutional need for one.
    Good .... The are heading for a split anyway

ReputationRep:
    Cameron to go by next Wednesday then.

A nice smooth transition, and I'm sure May will do a fine job.

Meanwhile Labour can choose whether to keep Corbyn and stay unelectable, replace him with Eagle and remain unelectable, or just fall apart altogether.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    I do wonder if may will go down like brown seeing as she hasn't even faced a public vote.

I doubt it will happen but IMO May should call an election to get some legitimacy as the next PM otherwise we will likely see a public backlash with them not beliving that she has the right to rule.

Should she call an election I feel the only hope for corbyn would be to strike a deal with the LD's, greens, SNP, plaid and maybe even TUSC (although these are so small they likely won't make any difference) to not compete against each other. That way he bolsters labour support and can give away some seats of labourites who are bothering him to the Libs and greens resulting in a more united labour and a left wing government, albeit limited by the lib dems.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Aph)
    I do wonder if may will go down like brown seeing as she hasn't even faced a public vote.

I doubt it will happen but IMO May should call an election to get some legitimacy as the next PM otherwise we will likely see a public backlash with them not beliving that she has the right to rule.

Should she call an election I feel the only hope for corbyn would be to strike a deal with the LD's, greens, SNP, plaid and maybe even TUSC (although these are so small they likely won't make any difference) to not compete against each other. That way he bolsters labour support and can give away some seats of labourites who are bothering him to the Libs and greens resulting in a more united labour and a left wing government, albeit limited by the lib dems.
    *sigh* this crap

And do you honestly expect the Lib Dems, Greens, SNP etc to agree not to stand against each other? The Lib Dems and Plaid should be rubbing their hands right now with not only Corbyn as leader, but a power struggle.

From a friend of mine:
    I've seen a lot of people on my news feed calling for a snap General Election in response to Theresa May having won the Conservative Party leadership contest, but this will not and should not happen.

Five of the last ten Prime Ministers (Brown, Major, Callaghan, Douglas-Home, and Macmillan) were selected by their MPs to take office during parliament. There is no constitutional requirement for a general election, and precedent dictates that it will not happen.

It is important to note that, unlike in a presidential system, the executive is not directly accountable to the public. The Office of Prime Minister is held ex officio by whoever is the leader of the largest party, and formally bestowed by the sovereign. We vote for MPs, for the most part, by picking the local candidate that stands under the banner of our preferred party. The Cabinet is comprised of politicians that undertake ministerial roles in addition to their responsibilities as Members of Parliament, and these roles are doled out on the basis of experience and party affiliation.

In a proportionally representative system, this would be even more pronounced -- the largest party or parties take power (as we vote for them, not for individuals), and they then decide amongst themselves which members of their parties get which cabinet roles.

So the calls for a General Election are both constitutionally incoherent and indicative of a lack of understanding of how Parliament works. Theresa May will take power as a Prime Minister that was not directly elected by the people. The same is true of every other Prime Minister in the country's history.

If you want a directly accountable executive that is constitutionally separate from our legislature, agitate and campaign for one. Don't pluck arguments out of thin air to change the role of Parliament halfway through because you're not happy with how things are going.
    /rant

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 15, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.