The European/World Football Thread II Watch

This discussion is closed.
R-KAM
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Darth Vader 7)
Gladbach are on the verge of signing Luuk De Jong according to Bild. They have really gone in this summer with the purchases of Xhaka and Dominiguez. Now they look like they'll get De Jong and they are heavily linked with free agent Junior Hoilett. This could be massive for them and they could even secure themselves as title contenders.
Pushing it a bit far, no?
Laertes
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by R-KAM)
Not really. If you consider how well they did last year and look at how they're strengthening the squad, they could actually have an outside chance of winning the Bundesliga.
Darth Vader 7
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by R-KAM)
I get where you're coming from as they were about 20 points adrift. However, they've established themselves this season and the signings have been really positive. I'd say they have an outside chance.
ahq
Badges: 13
Report 6 years ago
They were also apparently in for Giroud. They certainly don't lack ambition, then. :holmes:
Sir Phillip Jones
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Would it be fair to suggest that Alba and Coentrao are the two best LB's in the world right now, ahead of Cole and Lahm e.t.c? Watching them both last night and throughout the tournament really, they've both been brilliant. So fast, great stamina, great at attacking and despite that, brilliant defensively too.
Laertes
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
No. It would not.
R-KAM
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Sir Phillip Jones)
Would it be fair to suggest that Alba and Coentrao are the two best LB's in the world right now, ahead of Cole and Lahm e.t.c? Watching them both last night and throughout the tournament really, they've both been brilliant. So fast, great stamina, great at attacking and despite that, brilliant defensively too.
Coentrao is getting much better defensively, and Alba looks like he's got all the potential to be the best LB around, but rating them ahead of Lahm (the best full back in the world, on either side, personally) and Cole (year upon year of consistency whilst definitely being the best around for a while) is a bit premature probably. Both are young-ish and are only going to get better though.

Alba going to Barca would be wonderful to see. :coma:
Laertes
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by R-KAM)
Coentrao is getting much better defensively, and Alba looks like he's got all the potential to be the best LB around, but rating them ahead of Lahm (the best full back in the world, on either side, personally) and Cole (year upon year of consistency whilst definitely being the best around for a while) is a bit premature probably. Both are young-ish and are only going to get better though.

Alba going to Barca will be wonderful to see. :coma:
It's gone through now. You can start looking forward to it :p:
R-KAM
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Laertes)
It's gone through now. You can start looking forward to it :p:
:woo:

I don't even like Barca :lol:

How much did they pay, do you know?
Laertes
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by R-KAM)

€14m fee according to Reuters.

Absolute bargain.
Da_hopeful_1
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by R-KAM)

14m Euros.

Bargain :moon:
R-KAM
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
€14m fee according to Reuters.

Absolute bargain.

(Original post by Da_hopeful_1)
14m Euros.

Bargain :moon:
Great minds think a like or idiots seldom differ? :holmes:

Cheers :p:
Stu Laverty
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Darth Vader 7)
Gladbach are on the verge of signing Luuk De Jong according to Bild. They have really gone in this summer with the purchases of Xhaka and Dominiguez. Now they look like they'll get De Jong and they are heavily linked with free agent Junior Hoilett. This could be massive for them and they could even secure themselves as title contenders.
I'm not sure about title contenders. The gap left by Reus will be huge and difficult to replace, even with the signings they've made. Plus Dortmund and Bayern are so far ahead of them (and both have already improved on last year). Realistically, I think qualifying for Europe would be an excellent achievement for Monchengladbach, possibly pushing for the Champions League (I can't imagine Leverkusen being as disappointing next year).
Zerforax
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
How on earth did Barcelona manage to get Alba so cheap?

I mean it's still £11.2mil which isn't cheap per say for a fullback/defender but he looks like one of the most promising LB around.
Laertes
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Zerforax)
How on earth did Barcelona manage to get Alba so cheap?

I mean it's still £11.2mil which isn't cheap per say for a fullback/defender but he looks like one of the most promising LB around.
Partly 'cos it's Barça (and that's how they do), partly 'cos it's Valencia and they need the money and lastly, because he only had a year of his contract left.
ahq
Report 6 years ago
If you're quick, Alba's Wikipedia page currently says that in 2012 he joined West Ham United for 14 mil because he believed they were the best team in the world. :laugh:

(Original post by Sir Phillip Jones)
I've also been very impressed by Coentrao in particular, but I just think Lahm has been so good so consistently that you have to regard him on a different level. :yep:
gunit123
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
CB91
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Partly 'cos it's Barça (and that's how they do), partly 'cos it's Valencia and they need the money and lastly, because he only had a year of his contract left.
They didn't need the money.
Laertes
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by CB91)
They didn't need the money.
Valencia have massive debts and can't afford to miss out on a fee of that size by letting his contract expire.
CB91
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Valencia have massive debts and can't afford to miss out on a fee of that size by letting his contract expire.
They have massive debts, but that transfer wouldn't make a difference. They've got funding for their new stadium so no longer need to sell off to balance the books.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (239)
27.31%
No (636)
72.69%

Watched Threads