Film Fanatics Society - Chat Thread Watch

This discussion is closed.
channy
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Watched Blue Valentine with some friends.
ahq
Badges: 13
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Phalanges)
Here's another crap oversight by the Academy; Sally Menke never won an Oscar.
I'll be honest and say I'd never heard of her. Tbh I don't know much about film editing either, though it's one of the things I'm hoping to learn more about.

(Original post by mimimimi)
Is that supposed to be a joke? Because you realise it doesn't really count as a spoiler when it was a huge news story when it really happened, right? That's like saying "Omgz Titanic would have been way more shocking if it weren't for all the spoilers!"
I didn't know the details. :dontknow: Not from the news anyway. I don't generally pay huge attention to stories of amazing feats and stuff (or I forget very quickly when I do ).

(Original post by Christien)
More Inception cast members join DKR. All they need now is Leo. Jaysus
There was also talk of Joseph Gordon-Levitt joining the cast, but I can't find any evidence that he actually has - though it's already on his filmography on Wikipedia. :confused:
Phalanges
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Abiraleft)
I'll be honest and say I'd never heard of her. Tbh I don't know much about film editing either, though it's one of the things I'm hoping to learn more about.
If you like any Tarantino film, it's probably due in some way to Sally Menke. He's described her as his only collaborator, and when you look at the flourishes throughout all of his work you start to really see what she contributed. Which is why it's going to be a little worrying when his next film's released now that she's gone, as nobody really knows how much of the magic came from him and how much from her. I hope he can find someone as good.

Editing a really under-appreciated part of the filmmaking process, when you consider that you can't have a good film with bad editing. It's something I'm trying to get more into.
lukejoshjedi
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Ape Gone Insane)
Title revealed: The Amazing Spider-man - July 3, 2012.

Full sized pic: http://cache.gawkerassets.com/assets...select_091.jpg

looks pretty sick
unknownking321
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
There Will Be Blood.

Spoiler:
Show
Ape Gone Insane
Badges: 15
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
(Original post by unknownking321)
There Will Be Blood.

Spoiler:
Show
Want. :awesome:
Madjackismad
Report 7 years ago
Meh, feel down for no reason. Need to get out of here, it gets a bit claustrophobic sometimes. A bubble. :sigh:
Ape Gone Insane
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
(Original post by Madjackismad)
Meh, feel down for no reason. Need to get out of here, it gets a bit claustrophobic sometimes. A bubble. :sigh:
What's up? :console:
Madjackismad
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Ape Gone Insane)
What's up? :console:
Dunno man. I just know what they mean when you feel like you're in a bubble up here. Might pop back home later to see parents or something. :dontknow:

Edit: But tomorrow is one of my busy days. :sigh:
TheMagicRat
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Just watched 127 Hours. Loved it, thought it was fantastic. The King's Speech and The Social Network had better be nothing short of spectacular (in terms of all three of plot, acting (especially the lead actors) and direction) or my estimation of The Academy is dropping significantly.
You mean you have a somewhat decent estimation of The Academy now?
ahq
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by TheMagicRat)
You mean you have a somewhat decent estimation of The Academy now?
Yes, yes I do. I understand that the Academy has made numerous controversial decisions in the past, but there's always going to be such controversy over who or what deserves titles involving superlatives, if only because of the subjectivity involved. I'm not saying I agree with all of the Academy's decisions - I don't - but I dislike it when people say things along the lines of 'The Academy know nothing about films'.
mimimimi
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by unknownking321)
There Will Be Blood.
My crappy internet won't let me watch the video right now, but I just thought I'd put this here in case anyone hasn't seen it. I find it hilarious, and I'm not even sure why. I find it hard to think of There Will Be Blood without thinking of this now...
TheMagicRat
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Yes, yes I do. I understand that the Academy has made numerous controversial decisions in the past, but there's always going to be such controversy over who or what deserves titles involving superlatives, if only because of the subjectivity involved. I'm not saying I agree with all of the Academy's decisions - I don't - but I dislike it when people say things along the lines of 'The Academy know nothing about films'.
I obviously would prefer for "non-deserving" films not to win, or even be nominated but my main problem with them (and other awards) is that certain people seem to always be nominated. Maybe they are truly the best all the while but I would like to think that great art is produced by more than just a select few characters.

I agree with Banksy when he said, "I don't agree with the concept of award ceremonies, but I'm prepared to make an exception for the ones I'm nominated for."
Madjackismad
Report 7 years ago
Not giving Hitchcock and Kubrick Oscars is a very strong argument for the Academy knowing nothing about films.
ahq
Report 7 years ago
Not giving Hitchcock and Kubrick Oscars is a very strong argument for the Academy knowing nothing about films.
Maybe they weren't ready for them. :dontknow:

EDIT: I do think, though, that if it wasn't them, it would be somebody else who would be put up as a sign of the Oscars being a failure. I broadly concur with the idea that awards that claim to define the best movie or performance of the year (or something) are somewhat pretentious. I don't especially mind them, though, and I do think that Oscar wins/nominations are a useful way of finding good films to watch.
Christien
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago

I didn't know the details. :dontknow: Not from the news anyway. I don't generally pay huge attention to stories of amazing feats and stuff (or I forget very quickly when I do ).

There was also talk of Joseph Gordon-Levitt joining the cast, but I can't find any evidence that he actually has - though it's already on his filmography on Wikipedia. :confused:

I think someone or something confirmed he is in talks. Not sure. Looking forward to it, though I do worry that it might fall into that common trap in superhero films of just loading it full of new characters and hoping for the best.
ahq
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Christien)
I think someone or something confirmed he is in talks. Not sure. Looking forward to it, though I do worry that it might fall into that common trap in superhero films of just loading it full of new characters and hoping for the best.
I believe Nolan promised to try and top The Dark Knight, so I'm guessing he's got more up his sleeve than that.

Some of the people I've talked to seem to believe that Bane is too stupid to last the whole movie as chief antagonist. :confused: I think he'd do quite well.
Christien
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago

Yup. Tbf though, pretty much every one of the major Kubrick works was widely misunderstood to some degree at the time of release, by everyone as well as the Academy. Just getting nominated was impressive, really.

Anyway, the entire ceremony is utterly bogus, but it is fun, and if it gets more people watching good films then I suppose I'm okay with it. Grudgingly.
Christien
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I believe Nolan promised to try and top The Dark Knight, so I'm guessing he's got more up his sleeve than that.

Some of the people I've talked to seem to believe that Bane is too stupid to last the whole movie as chief antagonist. :confused: I think he'd do quite well.

These people are stupid. Bane is a genius intellect on par with Bruce, but people who haven't read a Batman comic in their lives give him a bad rap because of the aberration that was Batman and Robin, and the idea that someone with giant scary muscles can't be intelligent. :no:
Madjackismad
Report 7 years ago
Maybe they weren't ready for them. :dontknow:

EDIT: I do think, though, that if it wasn't them, it would be somebody else who would be put up as a sign of the Oscars being a failure. I broadly concur with the idea that awards that claim to define the best movie or performance of the year (or something) are somewhat pretentious. I don't especially mind them, though, and I do think that Oscar wins/nominations are a useful way of finding good films to watch.
I do think the Oscars are the best awards out the bunch, but they've made some critical errors. Kubrick and Hitchcock were always deserving of Oscars. I mean, they gave Scorseses the Oscar in 2006! And Taxi Driver and Raging Bull were in the 70s and 80s.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you like exams?

Yes (137)
18.49%
No (450)
60.73%
Not really bothered about them (154)
20.78%

Watched Threads