Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marcusmerehay)
    Turned round a corner while walking and my ankle gave way, broke that worse than my leg, but I'm away from doing any sport until at least January.
    That is a highly unlucky and unusual injury. All the best in your recovery.

ReputationRep:
    i can see newcastle beating united out of pure luck
    then we will all get excited
    then we will lose tomorrow
    and be sad again

ReputationRep:
    Well, at least Jamie Carragher likes us

You look at the money [Manchester] City have spent and Arsenal are still the main challengers to Manchester United," the former England defender said.

"Chelsea won the Double last season, and again Arsenal are still the biggest challengers.

"The criticism Arsenal have been getting over the past few years for not winning anything is a bit harsh - you forget the money these other teams have spent compared to Arsenal.

"Arsenal are a magnificent club and the way they go about things, promoting young players, they are a fantastic example to everyone."

ReputationRep:
    One parrt of me hates Wenger, and the other part of me understands where he is coming from. He has obvious weaknesses, but if you look at the wider picture he brings more positives than negatives. 2nd place, with the budget he has is fantastic, even if there are glaring problems. What scares me in bringing in a new manager, is if hesolves all our defensive problems, but lacks the ability to match Wenger's offensive game. In that case we'd be worse off, and risk CL football.

Overall what I am saying is, many managers can solve Weneger's problems, but most managers can't match the overall sucess Wenger has had with his tight budget, which is the most important factor at the end of the day.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by T.Adams VI)
    One parrt of me hates Wenger, and the other part of me understands where he is coming from. He has obvious weaknesses, but if you look at the wider picture he brings more positives than negatives. 2nd place, with the budget he has is fantastic, even if there are glaring problems. What scares me in bringing in a new manager, is if hesolves all our defensive problems, but lacks the ability to match Wenger's offensive game. In that case we'd be worse off, and risk CL football.

Overall what I am saying is, many managers can solve Weneger's problems, but most managers can't match the overall sucess Wenger has had with his tight budget, which is the most important factor at the end of the day.
    Well said.

ReputationRep:

Brilliant post!

ReputationRep:

Does he really have a tight budget though or is he just intrinsically a miserly person?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Isometrix)
    Does he really have a tight budget though or is he just intrinsically a miserly person?
    I can see no reason why he would actively refuse to spend any money the board give him, so I can only assume the transfer budget is a bit tight?....

The only person I'd be happy to see replace Wenger is Mourinho, and even then I'm not sure since we'd surely lose a huge part of our attacking strategy......

ReputationRep:

Not many managers have a Master's in Economics. The reason why Wenger hasn't been successful in recent years is because of people like Abramovich who are prepared to spend an obscene amount of to win trophies. It's because of him that players now have inflated price tags. Wenger knows this and it is why he'd rather buy a cheap youngster with potential rather than to go out and buy an overpriced player who probably could've made Arsenal a stronger team.

Managing your finances is an important part of football and I think Arsene Wenger is probably the best manager in the world in that regard. It's sad to see fans calling for his head (I'm not even and Arsenal supporter). They won't really appreciate what a truly great manager he is until he's gone. If Arsenal do get a manager who spends big and makes them successful again then Wenger will have played an important part in that success.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Isometrix)
    http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/f...s-2228148.html

ReputationRep:
    Fabregas

Arsenal
    It's true that Arsenal have got a reputation of a team who play beautiful football, but don't win anything," Fabregas told Don Balon.

"We won the FA Cup when I got here and we reached the Champions League final. However, we haven't been successful since 2007, despite playing good football.

"That's when you realise that it doesn't work. We were in four competitions at one stage of the season, but we're still empty handed," he added.

"We have to make a decision whether we want to develop young players or whether we want to win trophies."

Future
    "I don't feel like I have an obligation to stay at Arsenal," he told continued.

"It's not like it's now or never for me to leave the club. There's still plenty of time. It's all about patience and waiting until the right moment arrives.

"Who says I'll become a key player at my new club? I'm very happy at a personal level right now. I've spoken with [Carles] Puyol who told me that he didn't win anything until he turned 26.”

Torres
    “The thing is it happened so quickly I did not expect it. I did not imagine Torres leaving England or that he would leave in mid-season. I think it was a good decision.”

But what the Spaniard dimissed the idea of a move to rivals Chelsea.

“Me? Paint pictures? I would not paint anything," said Fabregas.

“I cannot see it. If I leave Arsenal one day I would not join another English team. I am quite sure.

"Life is all about patience and working hard," he continued. "[Arsene] Wenger is the boss and he decides what happens. I still have a contract with Arsenal and he has every right to decide on my future at the club. He's always willing to listen to me though and communicates very openly."

Invincible's
    "We really had a great team when I broke into the first team," he added. "'The Invincibles' had won the league title without losing a single game. I got a lot of playing time and I feel like I played a part in the 49 games unbeaten record that the team set.

"There's no doubt that it was the best team I've ever played in. I really developed a lot that year.

"I even wonder every now and then whether I wasn't a better player back then.

"It was really impressive to be part of that winning team," he continued. "If you made a mistake, there was always someone to make it up for you.

"Things have changed a lot since then and there's a lot more pressure now. Everybody's looking at me when I play a bad game.

General
    "I feel the responsibility to perform for the fans, especially now I'm wearing the captain's armband. [Robin] Van Persie and I are the only ones left from that earlier generation and we're happy to take our responsibility.

"It's important for a team to have a good combination between younger and experienced players. I'm very happy that I was part of a great team where I learned from the best.

"The young players are now looking toward me, but people shouldn't forget that I'm only 23. I was lucky to get the chance to work with some very experienced players, but it's more complicated now.

"I'm not saying one situation is better than the other though, but there were more players to look up to before. Players who had won trophies and helped you develop.

"Just have a look at the situation of [Jack] Wilshere and you'll realise that things are different now. He is a great player. I love him and he is going to be a star. He is very strong for his age and I wish I had that strength. He will be a great player as he continues to mature.”

Arsene Wenger
    “If a coach in Spain, like [Unai] Emery, [Jose] Mourinho or [Pep] Guardiola doesn’t win anything for three years, he’s out.

“Things are different here though. The manager is an intelligent guy and the club really appreciate what he does for Arsenal. The team always reaches the Champions League, fights for trophies right until the end and is financially very stable.

“That’s very important for the chairman, even though there will probably come a moment where he’s had enough if we don’t win anything.”
    Interesting.

ReputationRep:
    Very interesting that.

ReputationRep:
    My only issue with that interview is that Don Balon is a pro-Barcelona magazine so anything involving Fabregas is going to be skewed in some way.

ReputationRep:
    United have to go and give us a bit more hope, don't they?

This is so cruel. :emo:

ReputationRep:
    At least United dropped 2 points tonight, nice to hear. Someone summed it up on the BBC twitter feed though:

(Original post by Paul, realistic Arsenal fan)
    Just to be clear, it doesn't matter what happens today, I'm sure we'll find another new, unique way to drop points tomorrow. It's what we do.

ReputationRep:
    Quite obvious we're gonna **** up tomorrow anyway.

This result will just make it feel worse...

ReputationRep:
    Imagine if we wrapped up the points against Liverpool and the home games. Best case scenario is United draw/lose atleast once more(most likely against Chelsea at OT) and we win all the remaining games, starting from tomorrow.

ReputationRep:
    i'm refusing to get my hopes up, if we were going to win the title, we'd have shown it on sunday.

ReputationRep:
    The fact man u dropped points, has got to motivate us to win!

But we are arsenal so......... :/

ReputationRep:
    This is going to be the most depressing not-winning anything season yet. The amount of times we've thrown our chances away.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.