The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by spacepirate-James

Dinosaurs on a spaceship, or shipping Rory and the Doctor - I think we all know which one we'd rather have. :sogood:

Have you forgotten the slaps that followed?
I liked the 1st series. I preferred his personality to the recent two. I liked Rose but I think Donna was the best companion but I really disliked Tenants doc. The way he almost let the universe go up in smoke rather than fight with the shadow proclamation for example. That really annoyed me.

I'm glad Smiths has moved away from that but he takes the eccentricity too far for my liking. I can't look at Rory without thinking of that episode of only fools and horses where Rodney dresses up as a Roman. Amy's ok but unlike Rose and particularly Mickey rather than their experiences improving them they just seem to be getting scarred.

Martha was a bit meh. Supposedly the smartest companion doesn't wanna waste years see the wonders of the universe and because the doc doesn't wan't a relationship.

I really liked the couple with baby Stormageddon. I think self contained episodes such as those two have been better than story arc ones. Things such s Gallofray returning haven't really lived up to expectations and the Dalek has been reduced from an unstoppable one man army to "aim for the eye-stalk" just so they could have lots on screen. Would've been better if they'd remained as remnants. I prefer episodes like Midnight where they've experimented a little. I think the lone doctor episodes are good because he's without his human go between and so the dialogue is more interesting than the stuff between friends and there's not the familiar emotional "save her" melodrama you get with the companions.

I think its gradually got more mature as its gone on but I'd have rather it had done that with awake asylum residents than soap opera particularly as we seem to have lost a lot of the character development. I think it could do without the families. You don't have half a bond film about his mum worrying. That toff thief would've been a good companion as it've been more extreme sport and less harrowing emotional ordeal.
Original post by Mess.
It really should commit to a certain demographic with minor nods towards the others rather than trying to capture everyone. It's why Sherlock works so well, as it aims for the late teens to 30's demographic but gives nods towards other demographics. DW just feels like a mess and it should move away from the young teens and below, Merlin and the other DW series worked better for kids.

I think its a difficult formula because unlike many things with universal appeal it lacks real action. Things like star wars, the early bonds and such like have fighting. Even the first star trek had a fair amount. I guess what they've done is brought in river to shoot stuff rather than having a violent doctor but they don't seem to milk it for excitement factor. I can see why they don't want doctor tyson but if we're teaching moral lessons a more constructive one would be the appropriate use of force rather than unrealistic stuff. I think they could safely have a kirk level of violence without disintegrating society. Although I suppose the doctor is a brain and fisticuffs wouldn't fit the character. He could have a companion who went from violent and undisciplined to disciplined in using violence as a last resort. So he'd acknowledge his weakness in that area by having that companion rather than condemning it because he's crap at it and then make a realistic moral point. "I'm soft by choice and am therefore morally superior" is more commonly a response to getting beaten up than to pondering moral questions I think. I'd like to see the Doctor realise he was wrong and change his mind. That really would be some worthwhile role modeling.

The Doc is always very self assured in his judgements. Rather than the condemnation of killing the Daleks they could've argued it and fell out so you'd have a dispute between understandable positions rather than caricature evil. I suppose they did it a bit with the Slitheen woman. Thats the sort of thing that would make it interesting for adults but not be unsuitable for kids. Thought provoking plots would be good for them too.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Akuma
I think its a difficult formula because unlike many things with universal appeal it lacks real action. Things like star wars, the early bonds and such like have fighting. Even the first star trek had a fair amount. I guess what they've done is brought in river to shoot stuff rather than having a violent doctor but they don't seem to milk it for excitement factor. I can see why they don't want doctor tyson but if we're teaching moral lessons a more constructive one would be the appropriate use of force rather than unrealistic stuff. I think they could safely have a kirk level of violence without disintegrating society. Although I suppose the doctor is a brain and fisticuffs wouldn't fit the character. He could have a companion who went from violent and undisciplined to disciplined in using violence as a last resort. So he'd acknowledge his weakness in that area by having that companion rather than condemning it because he's crap at it and then make a realistic moral point. "I'm soft by choice and am therefore morally superior" is more commonly a response to getting beaten up than to pondering moral questions I think. I'd like to see the Doctor realise he was wrong and change his mind. That really would be some worthwhile role modeling.

I have ALWAYS wanted the Doctor to have a companion who is basically a bit of a violent and unlikable prick who then develops into someone who is a much more knowledgeable and empathetic person. I think it'd be such a nice twist on the usual 'All my friends are the best of humanity' deal that we usually get.
Original post by Sarcastic_Sazza
I have ALWAYS wanted the Doctor to have a companion who is basically a bit of a violent and unlikable prick who then develops into someone who is a much more knowledgeable and empathetic person. I think it'd be such a nice twist on the usual 'All my friends are the best of humanity' deal that we usually get.

Not quite the same but in the 70's the doctor had a companion from a civilsation where they were basic and wore animal skins and carried a knife.

Doc even nicknamed her "savage"

She wasnt cruel though and thought of herself as a warrior.
Original post by drbluebox
Not quite the same but in the 70's the doctor had a companion from a civilsation where they were basic and wore animal skins and carried a knife.

Doc even nicknamed her "savage"

She wasnt cruel though and thought of herself as a warrior.

Yup, Leela. We need a modern, civilized, badass, crueler version of Leela.
Original post by Sarcastic_Sazza
Yup, Leela. We need a modern, civilized, badass, crueler version of Leela.

Street_Fighter_4_Juri_by_magion02.jpg

Or

159262-1600x1200-soul+calibur-ivy-girl-solo-breasts-green+eyes.jpg

Or maybe even

Dungeon-Keeper-2-11-3LZ8CUJQHP-800x600.jpg

Might be pushing it

1319947469.jpg
(edited 11 years ago)
Managed to watch it! Quite enjoyable, not the best but not bad IMO.
Did anyone find it odd that Solomon could find no information about the Doctor's value? He's usually described as one of the most important things in the universe, and yet the Doctor himself didn't even seem surprised that there was no information. Something fishy is going on, I'm sure of it. The Doctor knows something we don't.
Did anyone find it odd that Solomon could find no information about the Doctor's value? He's usually described as one of the most important things in the universe, and yet the Doctor himself didn't even seem surprised that there was no information. Something fishy is going on, I'm sure of it. The Doctor knows something we don't.
Original post by spacepirate-James

Dinosaurs on a spaceship, or shipping Rory and the Doctor - I think we all know which one we'd rather have. :sogood:

Do we? :rofl:
Original post by Amwazicles

He died last series didn't he?
Reply 8491
Original post by Amwazicles

Do we? :rofl:

I am assuming that when Oswin wiped the Dalek neural net, it wiped all of the Doctor records from every machine on the planet or something.

It's still bugging me why it there is no explanation for the Dalek home world not being time locked anymore.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 8492
Original post by Colonel.

Was there a point last season were they said his death had meant that all his records had been wiped?

Original post by Mess.
Was there a point last season were they said his death had meant that all his records had been wiped?

Only trouble being how would a machine determine whether he should be alive or not given that he is a time-traveller.
Whilst I feel the overall quality of Doctor Who has gone down, I absolutely love Matt Smith (almost as much as Eccleston) and Stephen Moffats episodes have been absolutely excellent, as good as they ever have been. The overall darker tone and personality shift has been for the shows benefit. My only gripe with the current format is that the non-Moffat shows have been rubbish, this latest one and the second half of last season (Night Terrors, Closing Time etc.) were especially bad.

At least we no longer have to put up with the vomit inducing RTD/Tennant episodes. I wanted to puke every time Tennant did his "Oh, I'm so so so sorry" routine.
Does anyone else think that Dr. Who should go back to a regular time slot? I just think it might be so much better if it was at the same time week in week out. Other shows are. It'd also make it much easier for people to remember it is about to be on. For example if it was a 7 one week and then 7.35 the next.
Original post by Nichrome
Whilst I feel the overall quality of Doctor Who has gone down, I absolutely love Matt Smith (almost as much as Eccleston) and Stephen Moffats episodes have been absolutely excellent, as good as they ever have been. The overall darker tone and personality shift has been for the shows benefit. My only gripe with the current format is that the non-Moffat shows have been rubbish, this latest one and the second half of last season (Night Terrors, Closing Time etc.) were especially bad.

At least we no longer have to put up with the vomit inducing RTD/Tennant episodes. I wanted to puke every time Tennant did his "Oh, I'm so so so sorry" routine.

Are you kidding me?! Eccleston was not good and Tennant was unbelievably amazing and I nearly cried when he left. I was beyond relieved when Matt Smith came along and was perfect but I'm dreading the next doctor because I don't see them having 3 incredible doctors in a row...

Original post by Mess.

I assumed that because he was "dead", nobody cared any more. Looking back, that's dumb.
I assumed that because he was "dead", nobody cared any more. Looking back, that's dumb.

Very. You could meet him after seeing/hearing of his death because that was the most future version. You could still meet a younger version.

An idea for the 50th Anniversary, big baddie

Spoiler

Wait what?

Original post by Mess.
I am assuming that when Oswin wiped the Dalek neural net, it wiped all of the Doctor records from every machine on the planet or something.

It's still bugging me why it there is no explanation for the Dalek home world not being time locked anymore.

I just assumed the planet was a fake - it was all a trap, after all. The Doctor was there for a short enough time that he could have been fooled.

Latest